Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

recommend me a broadband supplier please!

recommend me a broadband supplier please!

Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

LolaRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default recommend me a broadband supplier please!

I'm looking to get broadband installed as dongle internet will be the death of me! Can anyone recommend a good company to go with please? I'm in Benalmadena if that makes a difference
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: recommend me a broadband supplier please!

Originally Posted by LolaRose
I'm looking to get broadband installed as dongle internet will be the death of me! Can anyone recommend a good company to go with please? I'm in Benalmadena if that makes a difference
Have you got a landline phone?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: recommend me a broadband supplier please!

not at the minute as we don't have the need for one until broadband is installed
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: recommend me a broadband supplier please!

Originally Posted by LolaRose
not at the minute as we don't have the need for one until broadband is installed
That's your first problem then can you get one? If you can you might have to start withMovistar/Telifonica.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

we wanted a landline, located just off centre of a large village with piles of faciltiies. But the nice man from Telefonica made a point of lifting the manholes and showing the BH that there were no cables tween us and the next house. And unlikely to be until sometime in the next couple of decades when a house is built next door. Until then there is no footpath and no pipework. He refused to use "aerial bundling" i.e. wiring across the road from another neighbour.

So, we got in Jazztel who sent out a very competant guy who gave us wireless, with dish pointing to their mast between the two villages. Works fine and we have landline and broadband. And almost half the cost of the Movistar installation we had in the city last year.

just remember that it is usual to have telephone with broadband as a package, you can't usually get just the BB although someone here probably has, it isnt common. Although we have an SP landline we have our UK phones ported to the internet and they come in on the computer.

good luck, let us know how you get on
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:45 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Although we have an SP landline we have our UK phones ported to the internet and they come in on the computer.
How did you do that?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:49 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
How did you do that?
Its skype phone service ..isin it..
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
How did you do that?
Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Its skype phone service ..isin it..
its a VOIP service located in the UK
it costs one off £20 for them to make all the arrangements with BT or whomever and then £2 per month charge to keep the number on their computer. (VAT extra) It means my family, some of whom go gaga at the thought of turning on a computer can still contact me via my original uK number at no extra charge and still get the discounts for friends and family as they used to.

if you have lost your uk fone you can buy another uk number for whatever location you want although they will give you a number free when joining. And you are free to cancel at any time and port your number to another provider if you wish.

by the way, I still maintain the Skype Europe account as it is cheaper to make phone calls to the UK, but if I had known about the facilities of VOIP and the services available then I would have ditched the £15/month BT line years ago - nothing but a rip-off.
as this was discussed some time ago here I will send you PM with the details.

Last edited by Domino; Aug 30th 2012 at 8:31 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Just get Movistar to install the landline and ADSL at the same time. They have English-speaking sales staff if you ring 1004 and say "English". Then you can use Skype for free phone calls anywhere.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

We have a phone point so a landline is possible as our landlord also told us when we moved in. I was trying to avoid Telefonica if possible. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with then for bb
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

We started with Telefonica. We thought the grass was greener on the other side and changed provider. Worst mistake ever. All the promise of cheaper calls and broadband were convincing, shame they forget to mention that speeds vary hugely and customer services are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Moved back to Telefonica and no problems since.

It all depends on how reliable and efficient you want your service.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
We started with Telefonica. We thought the grass was greener on the other side and changed provider. Worst mistake ever. All the promise of cheaper calls and broadband were convincing, shame they forget to mention that speeds vary hugely and customer services are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Moved back to Telefonica and no problems since.

It all depends on how reliable and efficient you want your service.
They have certainly improved a lot since they started having some competition!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

We went with Telefonica purely because they had a website in English and we were able to sign up and do everything from the UK ourselves a couple of weeks before we were due out on a visit. The only thing they needed was a Spanish mobile and a friendly neighbour let us use hers. They rang her to arrange installation and she made an appointment for the day after we arrived. A guy turned up, installed the phone line, installed the modem, check it was all working, connected our laptop, checked that was working and off he went. Took all of an hour.

I've read many horror stories about Telefonica but I must say we've had no quibbles thus far. The broadband runs faster than our UK service, the phone calls are dirt cheap, and we get a free UK 0844 number that allows family to phone us in Spain for 3p per minute.

I was also able to sign up to be able to administer our account online. That bit is all in Spanish but not too difficult if you have your trusty dictionary close by or you use Google Translate on the pages as you come to them.

Last edited by Kenwoodlad; Aug 31st 2012 at 11:59 am. Reason: Correct spelling mistakes
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
its a VOIP service located in the UK
it costs one off £20 for them to make all the arrangements with BT or whomever and then £2 per month charge to keep the number on their computer. (VAT extra) It means my family, some of whom go gaga at the thought of turning on a computer can still contact me via my original uK number at no extra charge and still get the discounts for friends and family as they used to.

if you have lost your uk fone you can buy another uk number for whatever location you want although they will give you a number free when joining. And you are free to cancel at any time and port your number to another provider if you wish.

by the way, I still maintain the Skype Europe account as it is cheaper to make phone calls to the UK, but if I had known about the facilities of VOIP and the services available then I would have ditched the £15/month BT line years ago - nothing but a rip-off.
as this was discussed some time ago here I will send you PM with the details.
Hi, Would you be so kind as to PM me the details also?
Many thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:06 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
We went with Telefonica purely because they had a website in English and we were able to sign up and do everything from the UK ourselves a couple of weeks before we were due out on a visit. The only thing they needed was a Spanish mobile and a friendly neighbour let us use hers. They rang her to arrange installation and she made an appointment for the day after we arrived. A guy turned up, installed the phone line, installed the modem, check it was all working, connected our laptop, checked that was working and off he went. Took all of an hour.

I've read many horror stories about Telefonica but I must say we've had no quibbles thus far. The broadband runs faster than our UK service, the phone calls are dirt cheap, and we get a free UK 0844 number that allows family to phone us in Spain for 3p per minute.

I was also able to sign up to be able to administer our account online. That bit is all in Spanish but not too difficult if you have your trusty dictionary close by or you use Google Translate on the pages as you come to them.
To my knowledge, Movistar don't have an English website (can you let me have their web address if I'm wrong).

I hope you don't mean "Telefonica in English" who are a different company - and have a very bad record on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.