Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Recent waiting times for UK passport renewal?

Recent waiting times for UK passport renewal?

Old Apr 18th 2023, 11:37 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recent waiting times for UK passport renewal?

Has anyone renewed a UK passport recently - if so how long was the wait?

I understand you still need to send in your old passport (along with any requested supporting documents) so effectively you could be stuck without a passport whilst awaiting the new one?
Old Apr 18th 2023, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent waiting times for UK passport renewal?

AFAIK passport office staff are on strike until May 6th so how long renewals are taking, or likely to take, is anybody's guess.

Yes you do need to send your old passport in with your application, essentially it's to prevent people having two valid passports.
Old Apr 18th 2023, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
AFAIK passport office staff are on strike until May 6th so how long renewals are taking, or likely to take, is anybody's guess.

Yes you do need to send your old passport in with your application, essentially it's to prevent people having two valid passports.
My application for my second passport has been processed during the strike after some initial administrative delays (which rested with me). So things seem to be moving despite the strike. Even with the strike and delays it’s taken around 10 weeks.

The only way to avoid sending your passport is to make a fast track online application and appointment in the UK whereby you collect the new one and they clip and decommission your old one at the same time. My wife did this last month.

Last edited by UKMS; Apr 18th 2023 at 6:58 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2023, 8:06 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The Passport Office still haven't reduced the target of a ten week turnaround time, presumably they'll need it this year after the strike.
Old Apr 19th 2023, 11:05 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
The Passport Office still haven't reduced the target of a ten week turnaround time, presumably they'll need it this year after the strike.
My goodness, 10 weeks is just ridiculous. The current UK gov't is truly useless in virtually every regard.

Is it possible to use multiple addresses when applying, such as listing your current address but also a different one for delivery if you know you'll be away during the school summer break and under a different address?
Old Apr 19th 2023, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
My goodness, 10 weeks is just ridiculous. The current UK gov't is truly useless in virtually every regard.

Is it possible to use multiple addresses when applying, such as listing your current address but also a different one for delivery if you know you'll be away during the school summer break and under a different address?
I just apply from the address that I want it delivered to which happens to be my work address to guarantee the courier delivery. (This is for the UAE)

I’m not defending the government but the problem is not helped by people often leaving things to the last minute hence you get a rush during school holidays etc.

Generally my experience and those of friends is that it’s typically much less than 10 weeks.
Old May 19th 2023, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

PoloMarco is an unknown quantity at this point

Update based on experience:
Applied online using digital photo taken with phone
Sent old passport using Correos (9 days to arrive but included a double public holiday weekend)
Received in UK
Processed and approved 11 days later
Printed and dispatched within 24 hours
Arrived in Spain via DHL on trackable service within 2 days

Tip: if couple/family are renewing at the same time it is possible to send all old passports back in same envelope if you happen to read the link on the submission page!
We didn’t see this information which wasn’t made clear and sent separately at additional cost to different UK Passport Offices which meant that they were processed on two different days. The new passports would have probably been delivered on the same day too.
Old May 19th 2023, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

You don't mention when that was.
Old May 19th 2023, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Old arrived UK 5th May
New delivered Spain 19th May
Old May 23rd 2023, 9:04 pm

14 calendar days including delivery to Spain doesn't sound bad at all. Especially considering there is still industrial action taking place?
Old May 24th 2023, 7:54 pm

PoloMarco, forgot to ask - was any of your family passport renewals for someone aged <18?

I'm heading to the UK this week and contemplating sending in my daughter's passport renewal application, but I'm just worried that if ti doesn't arrive within a month then I won't be able to pick it up...
Old May 24th 2023, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

No just me and the missus. And with respect to your earlier reply, yes the return time was very good but not sure if industrial action is still on?