Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

recent property search

recent property search

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:00 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recent property search

Originally Posted by megmet
I could go on and on about the shortcomings of some of the English estate agents here in Spain, thankfully they are the ones who have mostly now gone out of business!
The best way to find one that is reliable is by recommendation, then insist they show you the kind of property you are looking for and that's within your budget....there are more than enough out there, no matter what they say to the contrary!
Why do we still need estate agents in this day and age? Just asking.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno! We have bought privately a few times but have only managed to sell without an agent once. Even if you call the scribbled se vende signs in some properties they still turn out to be agents when you call. I did see one on that website that I know. Selling at 450,000. The developers price a few years ago was 600,000+
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Why do we still need estate agents in this day and age? Just asking.
Some of us don't.....I found our house on the Internet, some people though do need help as they perhaps don't know the areas as well as we did before the move.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:33 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

When we were looking for our house, we had many "no shows" from property agents. They'd make the appointment, we'd show up, but they wouldn't - and we'd never hear from them again.

By my standards, I find that to be nothing less than idiotic - especially when they have a paying client in the hand. But I understand this (and other, unethical) kind of behaviour is common in Spain.

Then we had the brilliant idea just to look houses up on the internet, find out where they are, go look for ourselves, and if there is someone in the house, either discuss it directly, or give us the contact of the owner directly, and negotiate privately with them.

Long story short, we ended buying ours privately, saving many €thousands in agent fees. But it was a lot of work.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
When we were looking for our house, we had many "no shows" from property agents. They'd make the appointment, we'd show up, but they wouldn't - and we'd never hear from them again.

By my standards, I find that to be nothing less than idiotic - especially when they have a paying client in the hand. But I understand this (and other, unethical) kind of behaviour is common in Spain.

Then we had the brilliant idea just to look houses up on the internet, find out where they are, go look for ourselves, and if there is someone in the house, either discuss it directly, or give us the contact of the owner directly, and negotiate privately with them.

Long story short, we ended buying ours privately, saving many €thousands in agent fees. But it was a lot of work.
Not that I would begrudge you, or the vendors, the savings....indeed it's something I'd consider doing myself.... but wouldn't this be against the rules'n'regs in the UK, because you only knew of the property after viewing it on someone's commercial website? Does this apply in Spain? Honestly not being a jobsworth, just asking because the UK now has so many of these restrictions which I think technically are EU-wide, but don't seem to apply here
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

This is Spain. Lots of things are technically prohibited.
It's prohibited for property agents to defraud clients, but they still do it and get away with it. So does Endesa, Telefonica, and lots of others.

The prevailing wisdom is that it's your fault if you allow yourself to be ripped off. I guess we've integrated well. We just didn't allow it

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 23rd 2011 at 4:40 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Not that I would begrudge you, or the vendors, the savings....indeed it's something I'd consider doing myself.... but wouldn't this be against the rules'n'regs in the UK, because you only knew of the property after viewing it on someone's commercial website? Does this apply in Spain? Honestly not being a jobsworth, just asking because the UK now has so many of these restrictions which I think technically are EU-wide, but don't seem to apply here
the problem we have found is, as said before, the property is quoted as being in X , or 5mins from Y. You think great, like that area, when you meet agent at a roundabout in Z and find its nowhere near X, Y, or Z.

it would appear some people think the agents are great and other, such as me, have no trust in nearly everyone. I can only go by the experiences gained over the past few months.

even in the uk they try it on, we entered into a 20week contract, only when just prior to it ending did we find there was a further 28 days at the end of the 20weeks. Something we hadnt realised, in fact originally believed we had to give 28days notice of end of contract.

there may be a moral responsibility to use the agent, but if s\he isnt performing then what is the problem ? why give someone money for not doing what they contracted to do.? although I suppose it could be said we do with bankers and pension fund managers.?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:21 am
Banned

I guess I'm just getting old - I sound like my father more and more often these days...

But I do remember the days when personal integrity was important. If you characterised something in a particular way, or promised something to someone, and it turned out to be not what you promised, then your credibility would be lost. And word would get around quickly.

But nowadays it seems that it's expected that there will always be something in anything anyone says, advertises, or promises that, at the end of the day, will turn out to be absolute bollocks, or at least a grand exaggeration.. And it's always your problem to take them to the mat, which we rarely do, because it's too complicated and we decide it's not worth it.

..and the biggest and most reputable are often the worst culprits. They know our psychology better than we do, and use it to their advantage...

IMHO, the only way to fight fire is with fire.. be equally bold and clever .. always arrange for the onus to be on them to fight you. In the end... they'll usually do the same - just sigh and walk away - it's too much work for them. They have other people to nick.

It works more often than not.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 25th 2011 at 9:10 am.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:08 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm just getting old - I sound like my father more and more often these days...

But I do remember the days when personal integrity was important. If you characterised something in a particular way, or promised something to someone, and it turned out to be not what you promised, then your credibility would be lost. And word would get around quickly.

But nowadays it seems that it's expected that there will always be something in anything anyone says, advertises, or promises that, at the end of the day, will turn out to be absolute bollocks, or at least a grand exaggeration.. And it's always your problem to take them to the mat, which we rarely do, because it's too complicated and we decide it's not worth it.

..and the biggest and most reputable are often the worst culprits. They know our psychology better than we do, and use it to their advantage...

IMHO, the only way to fight fire is with fire.. be equally bold and clever .. always arrange for the onus to be on them to fight you. In the end... they'll usually do the same - just sigh and walk away - it's too much work for them. They have other people to nick.

It works more often than not.
and I thought it was only me that was getting like his father - although we should both be looking at it as a complment to both that they have brought us up correctly.

afraid I still try to operate to the personal integrity standard. I feel guilty when i see someone i "owe" to. I had someone have a go at me because I hadnt kept a promise, I looked at them, smiled and said "yes, I failed, and now I will have to make it up to you". takes the air out of their sails and reduces the anger level, they generally get all apologetic for keeping on about it. but I have found it best not to fail a second time.

as I find I must perform I also expect others to perform. perhaps too often they fail, no thoughts about it, their managers make up excuses for them. so why should I have to be seen to perform? Because it is part of the way my father brought me up.

I have no compunction in going to a manager to get satisfaction, or director or chairman. You offer a service, I buy it, you deliver - simples.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
and I thought it was only me that was getting like his father - although we should both be looking at it as a complment to both that they have brought us up correctly.

afraid I still try to operate to the personal integrity standard. I feel guilty when i see someone i "owe" to. I had someone have a go at me because I hadnt kept a promise, I looked at them, smiled and said "yes, I failed, and now I will have to make it up to you". takes the air out of their sails and reduces the anger level, they generally get all apologetic for keeping on about it. but I have found it best not to fail a second time.

as I find I must perform I also expect others to perform. perhaps too often they fail, no thoughts about it, their managers make up excuses for them. so why should I have to be seen to perform? Because it is part of the way my father brought me up.

I have no compunction in going to a manager to get satisfaction, or director or chairman. You offer a service, I buy it, you deliver - simples.
I agree totally, but experience has taught me that many (most?) people or firms don't see it that way anymore - and so it's critical to always maintain the upper hand.

Don't allow yourself to be in the position where you are forced to be burdened with their shortcomings...

One of the best examples is Endesa or Telefonica.. Never give them direct debit from your account. This puts you in the position where you are forced to to fight them whenever they decide to overcharge or pull other tricks.

Needless to say, if you allow them the opportunity, they'll usually get away with it, because they've already taken possession of your best bargaining chip - the money. If you choose to fight, then it can take a very, very long time, and cost you a lot more...

So, just don't allow them to nick you in the first place... Simples :-)
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I tried that and the grumpy owner said "contact the agent, like it says on the sign" needless to say we never did.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by missile
I tried that and the grumpy owner said "contact the agent, like it says on the sign" needless to say we never did.

Some vendors have exclusive contracts and have to pay the agent come what may.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen
and expect me to pay him for "finding" the house
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Maybe, but IMHO a stupid attitude in a buyers market and he lost a potential sale. A more reasonable response might have been "I am sorry but it is not convenient right now. If you give me your name and number, I shall get the agent to phone you".
When I have something to sell, I try to make it easy for the buyer.