Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received Irish Passport... FREEDOM?

The British driving exam is one of the most hardest exams to pass. That’s why so many countries accept it. If you can pass a British test you should find the Spanish test a doddle. I wouldn’t worry about waving to sit a Spanish test.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
To obtain a licence from the Irish Republic you need to be legally resident there for at least 6 months and you're sort of right about a double exchange. In the scenario suggested if an Irish passport were acquired in exchange for a licence for which there were no exchange mechanism in Spain (e.g. UK) then that licence cannot subsequently be exchanged for a Spanish one.

​​​​​​
Since Brexit a ban in UK means nothing in the EU nor can police any longer check a licence with DVLA.
Police and car hire companies in Spain never checked wit’s the DVLA even before brexit so as long as you had the card you could drive in Spain no matter what.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:43 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
The British driving exam is one of the most hardest exams to pass. That’s why so many countries accept it. If you can pass a British test you should find the Spanish test a doddle. I wouldn’t worry about waving to sit a Spanish test.
Are you going to have to sit one?
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Are you going to have to sit one?
I will do eventually if the police make me do one. I won’t be applying for residency any time soon though so I’ll be fine driving around with my UK licence for now at least.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's a shame.

I was hoping for a report of the actual experience.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Police and car hire companies in Spain never checked wit’s the DVLA even before brexit so as long as you had the card you could drive in Spain no matter what.
If you try to hire a car in Spain with a UK license and Spanish residency you're getting refused. The hire car companies are the reason I exchanged my UK license. I arrived at Stansted just before midnight a few years ago, presented my UK license, credit card and proof of address etc and was refused a rental as the address was not UK but the license was. In the end I had to take an Uber to my destination and get a car from one of the less reputable companies with a huge excess in Luton the next day. In other words if people are using the reputable companies they have no chance here or there.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I would reserve judgement if you havent done it First you have to speak Spanish!!!.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:42 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Seems my info was a little out of date so thanks for the link, the net effect however would appear to be the same, i.e. an Irish licence so acquired would not be exchangeable in Spain.
But if you wanted to kick the can down the road you could drive with it in Spain until expiry. Could take the pressure off sitting a Spanish driving test. Or maybe there's a miracle and some agreement happens between Spain and the UK some time in the future.

Last edited by DLC; Jun 10th 2021 at 7:45 am.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanNico
If you try to hire a car in Spain with a UK license and Spanish residency you're getting refused. The hire car companies are the reason I exchanged my UK license. I arrived at Stansted just before midnight a few years ago, presented my UK license, credit card and proof of address etc and was refused a rental as the address was not UK but the license was. In the end I had to take an Uber to my destination and get a car from one of the less reputable companies with a huge excess in Luton the next day. In other words if people are using the reputable companies they have no chance here or there.
the hire companies have no idea if your a resident or not. With me they just wanted my licence and credit card. I use all different companies and never had a problem.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Oh, that's a shame.

I was hoping for a report of the actual experience.
My ex did it.First she had to register with a school as there seems to be an issue trying to arrange the test if you are not registered with a school. Then she was given material to study to prepare for test. This material is available in badly translated English. You do theory first and can only fail 2 or 3 questions. The practical is done in Spanish and usually involves other candidates in the car at same time!!!. My wife already was a Spanish speaker but said the examiner was strict and had a strong accent from Murcia so it wasnt easy. Incindently she was the only one who passed. It cost a few hundred and you have to use plates for 6 months.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I would reserve judgement if you havent done it First you have to speak Spanish!!!.
Or a Least know your left and right in Spanish. I’m sure there are instructors out there that can speak both languages. And the test normally you can have a translator. It’s not the end of the world sitting a Spanish test. Im looking forward to it tbh.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Or a Least know your left and right in Spanish. I’m sure there are instructors out there that can speak both languages. And the test normally you can have a translator. It’s not the end of the world sitting a Spanish test. Im looking forward to it tbh.
The official site makes no mention of translators being allowed nor does it refer to languages that are permitted. All I know is my wife was told she had to do the practical in Spanish and obviously that required her to answer questions etc( She was asked about oil or something during the test)
Old Jun 10th 2021, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

the hire companies have no idea if your a resident or not. With me they just wanted my licence and credit card. I use all different companies and never had a problem.
It's not about residency per se, it's about proof of address. I've rented plenty of cars without any hassle, but since 2019 when I came unstuck I have been asked every single time I rent with the reputable companies in the UK, Europe and America.

For example AVIS state: The person hiring the vehicle must also bring proof of their address. This could include a recent utility bill or bank statement that shows the address.
Europcar state: you must present your normal driver's license, issued by your country of residence.

This affects people living abroad who haven't changed their license. Of course if you present a UK license with UK proof of address then you're fine. But there are still many here who keep their UK address at a family members address, therefore they are unlikely to have bank statements or utility bills at the address. I'm quoting a real life experience.

So the point for the OP is simple, legally your license should be issued by your country of residence after whatever grace period is granted. Reading between the lines it sounds like the OP is a UK resident anyway so it makes no difference.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Notdunroamin,
Been planning to retire in Spain for the last 5 years. I will be 66 next year, we voted REMAIN!
As the wife has Irish Parents we gleefully applied for a Irish passport. As it would give us some advantages so i was still asleep not thinking of the UK license being void. The Financial requirements have changed a great deal do you agree?
Regards
Keith N Macy
Old Jun 10th 2021, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Muy buena y gracias amigo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.