British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Reasons for moving back to uk from spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/reasons-moving-back-uk-spain-395672/)

davyrowy Sep 9th 2006 9:55 pm

Reasons for moving back to uk from spain

hi folks i see a lot of people post on the where moving back forum , from places like Australia and canada,but not Spain.
i just wondered how many of you have returned to uk from sunny Spain,and reasons why .
i am just apprehensive myself about moving thats all,and just thought it would be interesting too look at things from a negative perspective for a change.
thank you for sharing your tales and stories. :beer:

Mitzyboy Sep 10th 2006 10:36 am

Re: Reasons for moving back to uk from spain

Oh God we've had some long threads on this, such as what do you dislike about spain etc .... try a search.

Spains not all things to all people, thats for sure. Work seems to be a problem for many, i.e. not being able to find any. Some people feel homesick and miss their family, and some have just not liked the way of life there and found it difficult to adjust.

But for sure its easier for retirees, or those that don't have to work.

How old are you .... bringing a family?

rugbymatt Sep 10th 2006 11:30 am

I left Spain after a few years out there, and to be honest i regret doing it! I wish i could go back there but the other half refuses to make the move since she doesn't speak spanish!!! So we have decided to move elsewhere.
It was quite hard to live in Spain at first, and fitting in was very difficult, mainly because i tried so hard to isolate myself from the expat community. My mum had lived out there for years and she had some horrendous stories about it!! But after time i found the Spanish to be such open people and i even met some really nice Expats!
I was convinced that things would be better for me back in Blighty but they weren't and it felt odd to go back almost with my tail between my legs so i moved on! We go out there all the time and am in the process of finding a house for my big sis and miss it so much, but life has moved on!

davyrowy Sep 10th 2006 3:48 pm

thanks for your comments ,we dont have kids so lucky in one sense.
I'm a musician and was thinking of forming a great rock n roll band to play in Benidorm and surrounding resorts.
i think we might rent for a year and see where that takes us.
we also have some other ideas to generate cash .
lifes short if all fails , :rolleyes: it will be an interesting year at least.
thanks again. ;)

rugbymatt Sep 10th 2006 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy
I'm a musician and was thinking of forming a great rock n roll band to play in Benidorm and surrounding resorts.
thanks again. ;)

Get ready for some hard work!! It was my very first job, translating for a keyboard player and guitarist while they tried to make a living out there! They played some seriously shite places and were payed crap!!! The guitarist ended up training to be an accountant but the keyboard player did really well on his own in the end. (until i saw him one night on a Brittany ferry to Caen and he tried to pretend it wasn't him!)
Benidorm is a hard place to earn a living and without risking anyones wrath you wont see Spain out there, just a warm blackpool!

jdr Sep 10th 2006 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy
thanks again. ;)

There is a thread here might interest you.