Reload this Page >

REAL Impact of Brexit yet and changes to come into effect

REAL Impact of Brexit yet and changes to come into effect

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:07 am
Just Joined

JoeyClem is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile REAL Impact of Brexit yet and changes to come into effect

Hello,

A friend of mine has recently decided to move to Spain, but hasn't found any information on the impact of Brexit on his life as an expat.

Thank you all for your information.

Clement.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:19 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REAL Impact of Brexit yet and changes to come into effect

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There is no real information on the impact of Brexit.

Rosemary
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No change yet and any changes yet to come are unknown.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:42 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeyClem
Hello,

A friend of mine has recently decided to move to Spain, but hasn't found any information on the impact of Brexit on his life as an expat.

Thank you all for your information.

Clement.
As Brexit hasn't happened yet, it is impossible to answer.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:36 am
Just Joined

JoeyClem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick replies. As expacts, have you made any decision in reaction to the Brexit though?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 12:31 pm

My neighbours were all concerned when it first happened and like people on here talked about what might occur and wanted me to tell them what I intend to do but I could not answer them because I am the sort of person who deals with reality so will wait to see what actually happens and how that affects me personally.

Rosemary
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 12:58 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Worse case is they just emmigrate to Spain.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

The growing expectation is that many, if not all, of the right for Brits to live and work in the EU will continue.

One of the latest newspaper reports - British expats set to be granted right to carry on living in EU with Theresa May 'close to reciprocal rights deal'� suggests that agreement is close between the UK and 'many European countries' as to exactly what rights will continue (and equally, what might require some 'modification').

The truth is, of course, that nobody knows for certain and , at best, there is only informed speculation. The process of finalising 'Brexit' will take two years at best and logic suggests there is likely to be little impact on those making the move now, if ever. In some areas of Spain the entire local economy relies on the various expat communities and any restrictions on expats will adversely impact on their own nationals. Personally I don't think that any government in their right mind, particularly one as precariously poised as the Spanish, would dare tinker with the status-quo too much.

Last edited by KieronF; Nov 23rd 2016 at 1:44 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:44 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeyClem
Thanks for the quick replies. As expacts, have you made any decision in reaction to the Brexit though?
Yes, over three years ago, in anticipation of changes to the EU, in order to safeguard our interests, we applied and have been granted Spanish nationality.

This is what most immigrants have done here, no matter where they have emigrated from.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Weyoun9 is an unknown quantity at this point

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's not going to happen at all. I'm far from an expert on the legalities of Union exits, but as I understand it there is no real need to 'trigger' article 50 at all. If a member nation decides to leave, they just leave -there's no onus on them to begin negotiating trade deals and the like before it actually happens. So if there was any real intention to leave, we'd just leave.

And even if article 50 is 'triggered', it's just the beginning of interminable negotiations that will likely last years.

And even if it does last years and eventually lead to a 'Brexit', there are close to a million Brits in Spain (depending on sources) -I would have thought it would be in everyone's interest to keep them happy.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but the whole thing seems completely manufactured to me. Flood the country with immigrants shitting in people's swimming pools and ogling their daughters' tits, and watch them vote out of the EU and, in their minds, vote out the immigrants. Get the Americans all riled up against the Arabs, the blacks and the Mexicans, then watch them vote in a racist.
Of course, by now it's all sounding a bit familiar. Isn't it?

Maybe There'll be no Trump presidency, and maybe there'll be no Brexit. There was never any plan for either. Maybe these 'illusions of democracy' will be snatched away at the last minute.
Of course the big question is why.

Anyway, my point is I'm not worrying about my upcoming move to Spain, and nor should your friend.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Famous last words"nothing to worry about" each individual who owns property or lives as an expat in the EU is affected differently. To say this will not happen is to take Cameron's view who by the way isn't either PM or even an MP anymore. People may get the right to live as am expat in the EU if already resident but if pensioners will they still get free health care? Right to live somewhere if you are a not very well off pensioners is useless if you can't get health care. What about those that have bought what they now use as holiday homes not currently resident but bought as part of a plan for retirement or to become resident in later life, where do they stand? What about how this will affect an already poor property market? In some areas Brits are the main property owners/buyers will people want to buy without knowing they can take up residency and health care etc? Still far too many questions to simply say nothing to worry about. People simply need to decide themselves what risk they are prepared to take with their future. I said it before the referendum were I not already a property owner personally I would not be considering it at this time.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by bobd22
Famous last words"nothing to worry about" each individual who owns property or lives as an expat in the EU is affected differently. To say this will not happen is to take Cameron's view who by the way isn't either PM or even an MP anymore. People may get the right to live as am expat in the EU if already resident but if pensioners will they still get free health care? Right to live somewhere if you are a not very well off pensioners is useless if you can't get health care. What about those that have bought what they now use as holiday homes not currently resident but bought as part of a plan for retirement or to become resident in later life, where do they stand? What about how this will affect an already poor property market? In some areas Brits are the main property owners/buyers will people want to buy without knowing they can take up residency and health care etc? Still far too many questions to simply say nothing to worry about. People simply need to decide themselves what risk they are prepared to take with their future. I said it before the referendum were I not already a property owner personally I would not be considering it at this time.
Regarding this there has been no steps forward as yet. I received this notification today.

The Government is considering the positions and all options available with the aim of achieving the best outcome for British citizens. Nothing has yet been decided on the future of medical treatment in Europe for British pensioners once the UK leaves the EU.
The reciprocal rights and entitlements that will apply following the UK’s exit are subject to the wider negotiation on our future relationship with the EU. These negotiations have not yet begun so it is not possible to set out any positions in advance.
Department of Health

Rosemary