Re Translator

Old Nov 8th 2021, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re Translator

Originally Posted by stevemcn44
Thank you all for your insights. This is greatly appreciated. We have gone back to Sabadell and they want to charge for a bankers cheque for ¢500.00 but if we take out home insurance they will reduce this to ¢50.00. We have received a independent quote from an insurance company in Barcelona today and will await Sabadell's insurance quote to compare.

For a bankers cheque what are your experiences for the fees charged. We are going back to the Notary for the interrupter.

The fee for the bankers cheque is normal and the insurance thing is normal practice. No point in worrying about it. Take the insurance for a year then look around when you are settled.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 6:46 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
When you make a Spanish will the actual will is in both Spanish and English so no translator required. Having a dual language escritura would be a bit more of a problem due to its length.

Just to be clear - it's only in both languages if you want it to be.

Ours are only in Spanish .

Are you saying it's something to do with citizenship rather than language ability? Now concerned!
Old Nov 9th 2021, 7:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just to be clear - it's only in both languages if you want it to be.

Ours are only in Spanish .

Are you saying it's something to do with citizenship rather than language ability? Now concerned!
Our first wills written in 2009 were only in Spanish but after my husband passed away in 2012 I went to the same notary and had mine rewritten. It was almost the same as the original as it purely left out any references to my husband. When I received the will I discovered that it had two columns, one in Spanish and one in English even though we had discussed everything in Spanish. I wondered at the time whether it was a new requirement for them to do it this way, obviously there will be hundreds of wills around that are purely in Spanish.

Rosemary
Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:58 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a will!

Perhaps I should get one.

If some of your estate is in the UK and some is in Spain, then maybe you need one will for the UK and a second for Spain?
Old Nov 9th 2021, 11:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, two wills is the recommendation. The Spanish will must have a clause in it to say that English law should apply rather than Spanish law, otherwise Spanish sucession law will apply and you wil l have little choice over who will inherit.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 6:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy, popping in from Benelux on the subject of wills/testaments.

It can be quite confusing, sometimes even the notaries/solicitors/whatever they're called where you are can get it wrong, which is what the first person that we saw here did.

After a disappointing visit to their office, I had a poke around, and a good place to start gathering information is:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

Part way down that page, one can choose one's country of residence and drill down for country specific stuff.

OH (Dutch national) and myself (Brit) now have International wills, with Belgian law to be applicable. Our (new) notaire asked if we wanted both testaments dual language, we did, not even sure if we were charged for that. Ours differ ever so slightly from the Belgian national norm, but the notaire has assured us that our wishes are fine according to both Belgian and EU law.

Hth.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Howdy, popping in from Benelux on the subject of wills/testaments.

It can be quite confusing, sometimes even the notaries/solicitors/whatever they're called where you are can get it wrong, which is what the first person that we saw here did.

After a disappointing visit to their office, I had a poke around, and a good place to start gathering information is:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

Part way down that page, one can choose one's country of residence and drill down for country specific stuff.

OH (Dutch national) and myself (Brit) now have International wills, with Belgian law to be applicable. Our (new) notaire asked if we wanted both testaments dual language, we did, not even sure if we were charged for that. Ours differ ever so slightly from the Belgian national norm, but the notaire has assured us that our wishes are fine according to both Belgian and EU law.

Hth.
Similar, our wills governed by Hungarian law, written in Hungarian & English, with a proviso that in the event of ambiguity caused by language, the Hungarian version shall prevail.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

stevemcn44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thank you all for your feedback. Transfer wise is offering a great rate for foreign transfers. Revolut interesting(I've not tried yet) offers on the free package one international transfer per month up to £1,000.00 with out any fee's to other currency. We have been told by a friend in Spain you can pay the ITP in instalments. Is this possible?
Old Nov 12th 2021, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

The notary was spot on.

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by stevemcn44
Hi my wife was advised by the notary as I do not speak Spanish, we need someone independent of my wife to explain to me what is happening when we sign the final documentation.