Reload this Page >

Re: Residentia info

Re: Residentia info

Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Craig and Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residentia info

Hi,

Just a quick question with regards to residency in Spain...

We lived in Mallorca last year for three months in which we obtained the green Spanish residency certificates and we also had jobs during this period, so obviously we had some sort of national security number like here in the UK.

We go back to Spain this Summer, but can't locate our residency forms nor anything with previous pay details for a tax code - is this a problem?

As we left Mallorca and returned to the UK, does this mean that we have to re-apply for new residentias/ security numbers, or can these be renewed if I can find them or try and get them from the bank we were with...

Just a little confused

Any advice appreciated - many thanks
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When you got your green forms that gave you an NIE number (that's the equivalent of your NI number in the UK) which lasts for life, irrespective of whether you continue to live in Spain.

In theory you should have cancelled your registration when you left but don't worry about that.

Unless you are going to a different address you don't need to do anything about the green form - if it's a new address then you should get a new form.If you have lost the old form you can get a new one - they will have your records on their database.

As for a tax code, if you were working legally and having tax deducted from your pay, then you will be registered with the tax people and they will know your NIE number.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

That's great, thanks very much for that.

We will be moving to a new address, so is it more of a case of just getting everything updated?

With regards to my tax code, is that the one that is on the NIE form (I didn't realise that)

Cheers again
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

BTW, is there any way to find out if I'm still registered?

We were working legally but had to return back to the UK unexpectedly, so I'm not sure if my previous employer could have cancelled my registration?

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Only you could cancel your registration on the foreigners register.

Your employer would have been responsible for paying your social security contributions (which give you benefits like healthcare) and, yes, he would have stopped paying those when you left.

The first thing to do is get your registration updated with your new address.

They don't use tax codes in quite the same way as in the UK. The only number that is important is your NIE and, as I said, that is with you for life.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Cheers again - you've been most helpful