Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

re registring uk car

re registring uk car

Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re registring uk car

Originally Posted by scampicat
Well, the plot thickens.

Our car papers are STILL at Granada. Our translator who acts as intermediary with the Gestor doesn't appear to be speaking to us. But we have been talking to another expat who has had the same problem with her Gestor (we think it is the same one). She has been trying to import her car for as long as we have.

The person we were talking to has not only been told she has to get a Spanish licence (untrue), but also told she has to take a Spanish driving test! and that she will be prosecuted if she does not do so. She was told this by the Guardia.

She knows someone who was asked by Trafico for 4000 euros in tax to import an eleven year old car. He just refused to pay it and was eventually told he didn't have to.

So....it's obviously 'rip the Brits off time' in Granada province.

If Gestors, Trafico and the Police don't uphold the law, why the heck should we?

If this goes on much longer I think we'll pull the plug on the importation and just drive illegally. We can't possibly be any worse off.

We'll have to spin some yarn to the DVLA if we want to take it to England though. They will never believe the truth.
Firstly, if you have a european licence you do not need to change to a Spanish one. We decided to change our european licence to a Spanish one because of hearing that some people were having problems if stopped by police as they do not all seem to know the law. In order to do this we talked to a gestor who took us for the driving licence medical which involved using a computerised thing which tested your ability to drive along a road, an eye test, and blood pressure was measured. Filled out some forms and in two months the new licence will arrive. Totally not necessary but may save hassle at some point.

Secondly. re importing your car we found an import agent rather than a gestor and this only took a total of two weeks.

Thirdly, you mentioned driving illegally. If you do not import your car you cannot tax or insure it which is not only illegal but also would become a major problem to yourself and the other vehicles involved if you have an accident.

I know there are a lot of cars in Spain that are not legal but surely you do not want to be in this group. Find someone who can really sort things out for you it will give you peace of mind when on the road and you will not be forever looking over your shoulder.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Yes, I think we are well aware now that we are being fed a load of excrement of male bovine.

Trouble is, most of the work has been done, he is still going to want paying and the car STILL won't be imported.

We thought we may as well stick it out to the end now.

We are thinking of just going back to the UK because of things like this. It worries me so much when things are not done and people make the rules up as they go along.
Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble, that it is making you think about returning to the U.K.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:08 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Firstly, if you have a european licence you do not need to change to a Spanish one. We decided to change our european licence to a Spanish one because of hearing that some people were having problems if stopped by police as they do not all seem to know the law. In order to do this we talked to a gestor who took us for the driving licence medical which involved using a computerised thing which tested your ability to drive along a road, an eye test, and blood pressure was measured. Filled out some forms and in two months the new licence will arrive. Totally not necessary but may save hassle at some point.

Secondly. re importing your car we found an import agent rather than a gestor and this only took a total of two weeks.

Thirdly, you mentioned driving illegally. If you do not import your car you cannot tax or insure it which is not only illegal but also would become a major problem to yourself and the other vehicles involved if you have an accident.

I know there are a lot of cars in Spain that are not legal but surely you do not want to be in this group. Find someone who can really sort things out for you it will give you peace of mind when on the road and you will not be forever looking over your shoulder.

Rosemary
No, we don't want to be illegal which is why we are trying to import the car. It just gets very disheartening when people make up the rules as they go along and think that they can treat you like cr@p.

I will NOT change my driving licence when it is a perfectly legal one, this just encourages them to not apply/learn the law! Although I can understand why you have done so.

Thanks for your post.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:11 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble, that it is making you think about returning to the U.K.
Thanks for your sympathy. It is actually giving me anxiety symptoms now. Every time I think about it I feel sick and I have actually cried about it.

Anyway, you don't want to know all that.

I love my village and I love my house and neighbours, but I can't stand rules just being made up, and applying them differently to foreigners.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your sympathy. It is actually giving me anxiety symptoms now. Every time I think about it I feel sick and I have actually cried about it.

Anyway, you don't want to know all that.

I love my village and I love my house and neighbours, but I can't stand rules just being made up, and applying them differently to foreigners.
Like you I love my house, town and neighbours and like you I have been driven to distraction by the paperwork and not being able to get things done. It really drags you down and colours your whole existence to the extent that any additional problem even if it is small becomes a huge molehill.

We will get there in the end I am sure but it is a very hard route and lowers your spirits on the way.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:20 pm
Ex Expat

Like you I love my house, town and neighbours and like you I have been driven to distraction by the paperwork and not being able to get things done. It really drags you down and colours your whole existence to the extent that any additional problem even if it is small becomes a huge molehill.

We will get there in the end I am sure but it is a very hard route and lowers your spirits on the way.

Rosemary
Thank you Rosemary.

We are going to leave it till the end of next week and if nothing has happened by then, we'll go to Granada ourselves.

Another thing I have just remembered, a lady here had to have her car repaired after an accident and it took nearly a YEAR at the Renault dealers.

I don't think for a minute they'd have treated a Spaniard like that. Also being a woman on her own didn't help.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:25 pm

Thank you Rosemary.

We are going to leave it till the end of next week and if nothing has happened by then, we'll go to Granada ourselves.

Another thing I have just remembered, a lady here had to have her car repaired after an accident and it took nearly a YEAR at the Renault dealers.

I don't think for a minute they'd have treated a Spaniard like that. Also being a woman on her own didn't help.
We were surprised in January when my OH took the car to the garage for a full service and the mechanic said to save our money as it did not need it. So that is the opposite to what would have happened in UK. Looks like it depends what and who you are dealing with rather than everything.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:34 pm
Ex Expat

We were surprised in January when my OH took the car to the garage for a full service and the mechanic said to save our money as it did not need it. So that is the opposite to what would have happened in UK. Looks like it depends what and who you are dealing with rather than everything.

Rosemary
Rosemary you are right.

Our lovely Miguel and Jose Miguel (builders) renovated our house for us at half the cost a British builder would have charged. And wouldn't have any money at all until the job was finished. The charged us less than they had quoted because 'they didn't work every day'.

I mustn't forget the good things just because I'm depressed about the car.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Thank you Rosemary.

Normally the licensing authorities are very helpful ( or they were to me in Malaga & here in Galicia ) the biggest problem when you do it yourself is the queueing and jostling for position at the various counters

And obviously it is sooooooooo much cheaper, and some of the uncrupulous gestors do charge like a wounded bull.
If all goes well for you with this gestor ask for a proper breakdown of his/her breakdown of time spent at the offices before you agree to pay them ......don't let them treat you like dirt.
I would actually go in to them tomorrow and tell them that you have friends all over Spain and local to you and that if something is not done rapido then you will put them on the public www ....it makes me so mad :curse:

I have to let them know in no uncertain terms that if it wasn't for us Brits they wouldn't have any work and Spain would still be in the dark ages riding donkey's :curse:
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary, the car has Belgian plates on, so I just got it transported straight down to Spain as all the moderifcations are for Belgium and the dealer told me it wasn't worth registering it in UK and chaging the specs to be rechanged back again and then registering in Spain. The transporter than I used has given me a dealer in Malaga who is often sending cars backwards and forwards, so will ring him as was told if he couldn't help me, he probably would know someone who did. So will go down that route shortly as insurance companies will only insure the car in whatever the plates are on, country.

This is probably a bit of a warning to others going down a similar route. Tesco's insurance gave me insurance on the car, and green card, and I paid the premium on it. Some of the details were wrong and I rang up and spoke to another rep. He told me that the girl shouldn't have given me a green card as the vehicle was only insured for journeys to get it registed and MOT'd in UK and I shouldn't have been given a green card, let alone insurance on the Belgium registered car. So it's worth being careful with some of these insurance companies who say they will insure another plated car and had I not rang up and had an accident the insurance wasn't worth the paper it was written on.....

I bought a LHD in France but could not tax and insure it in the UK without having a MOT showing that the modifications were done. I bought it about nine months before moving and registered it and used it in UK before driving it down to Spain.

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rosemary.

That could be due to the insurance. I've recently been told that if your car is insured via a broker that uses a a UK firm, then the garage will NOT repair until it actually gets the money, this is due to delays in UK firms settling up with Spanish garages. If you insure with firm here in Spain, such as Linea directa, then it should be done straight away, at least that was the experience of a froiend of ours who could have had the repairs done the next day, and that was also the explanation given to him by Linea Directa when he spoke to them at renewal saying he cold get a cheaper quote using a broker who would insure him via a UK firm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:46 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's eight years old and a Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDI.
For tax purposes an 8 year old car should be valued at 24% of its new cost.

Hacienda has lists of almost every car made with the relevant cost new and also publishes the depreciation figures.

At a rough guess your car should be valued at about 5000 euros.

The special registration tax on a 1.9 diesel is 7% so that makes about 350 euros.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:14 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That could be due to the insurance. I've recently been told that if your car is insured via a broker that uses a a UK firm, then the garage will NOT repair until it actually gets the money, this is due to delays in UK firms settling up with Spanish garages. If you insure with firm here in Spain, such as Linea directa, then it should be done straight away, at least that was the experience of a froiend of ours who could have had the repairs done the next day, and that was also the explanation given to him by Linea Directa when he spoke to them at renewal saying he cold get a cheaper quote using a broker who would insure him via a UK firm.
Her car is Spanish! Bought here in Spain and Spanish registered. I personally think he was delaying because she is a foreign (German) woman on her own.

You can't insure with Linea Directa anyway unless your car is on Spanish plates. (Tried it).

Ours is insured with Liberty Seguros via Expat Insurance.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:15 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Fred James
For tax purposes an 8 year old car should be valued at 24% of its new cost.

Hacienda has lists of almost every car made with the relevant cost new and also publishes the depreciation figures.

At a rough guess your car should be valued at about 5000 euros.

The special registration tax on a 1.9 diesel is 7% so that makes about 350 euros.
Thank you Fred, that is very helpful.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Her car is Spanish! Bought here in Spain and Spanish registered. I personally think he was delaying because she is a foreign (German) woman on her own.

You can't insure with Linea Directa anyway unless your car is on Spanish plates. (Tried it).

Ours is insured with Liberty Seguros via Expat Insurance.

Perfectly correct, you shouldn't be able to insure a car NOT registered in Spain with any insurance company here, it's likely to be illegal. My friend is English and he was driving a Spanish plateed car which was hit by a hire car, he said he wouldn't have bothered even to claim if it hadn't been a hire car that his him, the damage wasn't very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.