Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Re: Planned move to Palma

Re: Planned move to Palma

Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

angiebmurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planned move to Palma

Hi, I am a Nurse planning to move to Palma at the end of August from Scotland. Anyone from Scotland, or anywhere else in the UK, willing to offer some advice or help?

I am finding it difficult to secure an apartment as they all seem to be asking for €1500 commission plus 3 months rent in advance, plus Spanish NI Number, Spanish Bank Account details etc. I believe I can not get a Spanish NI number until I arrive in Mallorca and am also told it will be easier getting a Spanish Bank Account once here.

I am sure the Estate Agencies I have tried, who are almost all asking for the same thing, are very trustworthy and reputable, however I am a bit sceptical.

I have asked for info on a lovely apartment in Son Dureta that looks perfect, can anyone tell me if that's a good area with good transport links, cafe's, bars, restaurants, shops etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:32 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Angie and welcome to the forum . I've shifted your post over to the Spain section from the Welcome Inn as you're looking for specific info in Spain. I'm sure all the regular posters in this section will be able to assist you. All the best.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:41 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiebmurphy
Hi, I am a Nurse planning to move to Palma at the end of August from Scotland. Anyone from Scotland, or anywhere else in the UK, willing to offer some advice or help?

I am finding it difficult to secure an apartment as they all seem to be asking for €1500 commission plus 3 months rent in advance, plus Spanish NI Number, Spanish Bank Account details etc. I believe I can not get a Spanish NI number until I arrive in Mallorca and am also told it will be easier getting a Spanish Bank Account once here.

I am sure the Estate Agencies I have tried, who are almost all asking for the same thing, are very trustworthy and reputable, however I am a bit sceptical.

I have asked for info on a lovely apartment in Son Dureta that looks perfect, can anyone tell me if that's a good area with good transport links, cafe's, bars, restaurants, shops etc?

Well first, Palma is the second most expensive place on the island. Son dureta would not be my preference - one of the suburban "armpits" of Palma IMHO, but I reckon it's cheap (for Palma). Not far from the beach, though. Where will you be working?

Second, many rental agents catering to foreigners are rather extortionate, so you need to try to deal with more reasonable ones, or deal with the owner directly. Try segundamano for listings of private lets without an agent. If you come over and stay for a while you'll find the right deal without breaking the bank, so just get something cheap for now and start looking. I'd recommend getting outside of Palma if you want to save money, though.

2 Months rent as a deposit is the norm. Some only ask 1 month (and I'd actually be rather demanding about this for an apartment - trust me, they need the rental income, so they'll likely accept). 3 months is too much. Bear in mind, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see the deposit again. Owners apparently like to regard it as a "gift" here.

Third, yes you do need a NIE number. Don't expect to close a deal without it. But for Brits, it's relatively easy to get. You can, however, negotiate an agreement to get the key to an apartment without a NIE, with the stipulation that you'll give them the NIE in a month or so. But you have to do it.

You can have a bank account at almost any bank with only a passport. I'd recommend LaCaixa, only because they will set you up with a full account (with Visa debit card) in about 10 minutes, their online banking is about the best I've seen (and in 7 languages), their service is top shelf, most of the people in the bank speak English, and there is a LaCaixa branch (with ATM) in every little village and on every other street corner in most cities.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck...

Ami

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 31st 2013 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the great advice Ami, I will have a look at the website you suggested and the Bank and will PM you if I have any questions

Best regards
Angie
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bakedbean
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be working? looking for a job? Remember that your UK qualifications will need to be upgraded, and that nursing in Spain, certainly in the state hospitals is very different from nursing in the UK. The other thing, if you are to be working, is how good is your Spanish, I would suspect you would have to be fluent to work there.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mikelincs, my Spanish is not good but I am planning to pay for lessons once in Palma.

Best regards
Angie
Old Jul 31st 2013, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

dchaworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ami to right about Son Dureta, try Santa Catalina, a friend of mine has just picked up a one bedroomed flat for 450E.

bye
David
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat053 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I could recommend you someone who is really brilliant, but not sure if we're allowed to do that here?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 11:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sewnfir
Hi, I could recommend you someone who is really brilliant, but not sure if we're allowed to do that here?
As long as you are not connected in any way to the person or company, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are connected in any way, then it's advertising and against forum rules
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sewnfir
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi, anyone know the Amatista are of Marbella?

Changed my mind on Palma as finding it very difficult to find an apartment from the UK, so have looked at Marbella and have already been offered an apartment, with no commission fees!

Any advice on the area, shops, cafe's, restaurants transport links would be very helpfull.

Also the prospect of finding work.

Thanks
Angie
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Hi, anyone know the Amatista are of Marbella?

Changed my mind on Palma as finding it very difficult to find an apartment from the UK, so have looked at Marbella and have already been offered an apartment, with no commission fees!

Any advice on the area, shops, cafe's, restaurants transport links would be very helpfull.

Also the prospect of finding work.

Thanks
Angie
Prospect of finding work, unless bar work in the tourist season, is about 0.1% if you aren't a fluent Spanish speaker, with an official unemployment figure of around 30%, and an unofficial one of about 50% of Spanish nationals then it's going to be very difficult, and even more difficult getting one that will give you a contract to allow you to access the Spanish health system Non contract ones are the lowest paid, and you will find it difficult to clear rental costs and private health insurance. Sorry to sound negative, but were I in your shoes I just wouldn't be considering Spain, but staying in the UK.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Prospect of finding work, unless bar work in the tourist season, is about 0.1%, especially if you aren't a fluent Spanish speaker, with an official unemployment figure of around 30%, and an unofficial one of about 50% of Spanish nationals then it's going to be very difficult, and even more difficult getting one that will give you a contract to allow you to access the Spanish health system Non contract ones are the lowest paid, and you will find it difficult to clear rental costs and private health insurance. Sorry to sound negative, but were I in your shoes I just wouldn't be considering Spain, but staying in the UK.
Fixed that for you.

But if you are dead-set on moving to Spain (not recommended in your case), and finding a job is your main concern, then choosing Marbella over Mallorca (best economy in Spain at the moment, which isn't saying a lot) is kind of the same logic as moving to Italy to avoid Italians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.