Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Random Query: Surfing in Nerja

Random Query: Surfing in Nerja

Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Random Query: Surfing in Nerja

Hi folks. This is a totally random one I know. I have dabbled in surfing in Ireland and a move to Granada is on the cards next year with my missus who is from Granada.
I was in Nerja recently and while at the balcon de Europa one day, I noticed some really nice waves on both beaches on both sides of the balcon.
Nice waves for me, a novice and looked like they would have been perfect for a bodyboard or longboard. I noticed there weren't any people with bodyboards in the water, so I guessed that these activities are either banned or deemed too dangerous. Maybe the currents there are pretty bad? There were enough kids in the water to suggest otherwise though.
I would potentially be staying in La Herradura frequently, and the water there is as flat as a pancake, so if Nerja was a runner, I'd invest in a nice little bodyboard and head to Nerja for some wave fun.
I have been to El Palmar too, and can't wait to go back!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random Query: Surfing in Nerja

Make sure your vaccinations are all up to date. The Nerja Sewage works are not completed yet and all the town's sewage goes straight into the sea.

Nothing would persuade me to go anywhere that water!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Make sure your vaccinations are all up to date. The Nerja Sewage works are not completed yet and all the town's sewage goes straight into the sea.

Nothing would persuade me to go anywhere that water!
haha. Well, that's that knocked on the head then....
Old Sep 26th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
Hi folks. This is a totally random one I know. I have dabbled in surfing in Ireland and a move to Granada is on the cards next year with my missus who is from Granada.
I was in Nerja recently and while at the balcon de Europa one day, I noticed some really nice waves on both beaches on both sides of the balcon.
Nice waves for me, a novice and looked like they would have been perfect for a bodyboard or longboard. I noticed there weren't any people with bodyboards in the water, so I guessed that these activities are either banned or deemed too dangerous. Maybe the currents there are pretty bad? There were enough kids in the water to suggest otherwise though.
I would potentially be staying in La Herradura frequently, and the water there is as flat as a pancake, so if Nerja was a runner, I'd invest in a nice little bodyboard and head to Nerja for some wave fun.
I have been to El Palmar too, and can't wait to go back!
For really good surfing, you need to come up here; the Atlantic water is clean, unpolluted mostly, and big waves. Spoilt for choice. However, from there to here is a fair way. My son is a keen surfer and would advise where the "best" areas are here.
Sorry I can't help you more.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 3:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Portugal would be closer. I believe they get some of the biggest waves in the world.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Portugal would be closer. I believe they get some of the biggest waves in the world.
You're telling me; for some of them, forget wet suits; put on your brown trousers!
Old Nov 30th 2018, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Well, based on some of the meals I've cooked, and eaten entirely, the waters around Nerja should be perfectly ok for me