Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Rain in Spain

The Rain in Spain

Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

penso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Rain in Spain

I'm the OAP thinking of moving from Sharm to Javea or thereabouts shortly. There appears to have been an awful lot of rain in that area recently according to the BBC World Weather reports. This concerns me greatly as the knee joints are not what they used to be! Can anyone give me a brief resume of what the weather is normally like over a 12 month period in the area north of Alicante?

Or should I be thinking of somewhere further south like Almeria?

Just so you can see where I'm coming from, it last rained here on 13 April 2007 for 20 minutes and it took us a month to get over the shock!

Thanks

Penso
Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rain in Spain

Originally Posted by penso
I'm the OAP thinking of moving from Sharm to Javea or thereabouts shortly. There appears to have been an awful lot of rain in that area recently according to the BBC World Weather reports. This concerns me greatly as the knee joints are not what they used to be! Can anyone give me a brief resume of what the weather is normally like over a 12 month period in the area north of Alicante?

Just so you can see where I'm coming from, it last rained here on 13 April 2007 for 20 minutes and it took us a month to get over the shock!

Thanks

Penso

yes it does rain here a lot from about October to March - but not every day!!

and it does get pretty damp in winter & very humid in summer

if you look here you will be able to see waht the weather has been like for the past several years

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=IALICANT23

you can also search for other places on the same site
Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Generally speaking the majority of the rain in a normal year falls in the Autumn. Alicante has a notably better micro climate. In common with other coastal areas it will be humid in the Summer. You don't have to go very far inland to avoid humidity though.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

In Egypt you are lucky if you see one small, fluff ball of a cloud all year round!

Just blue, blue, BLUE!!!!

I lived there and found it rather unnerving that the sky didnt change all year round - just the temperature! Hot, hot, hot in the day and cold desert temperatures at night...

But those star filled nights - you don't get such a show in Spain unfortunately...
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

slimalf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penso

Thanks

Penso
Dont think it makes any difference where you live in Spain if you are worrying about your knees. I have lived in Spain (Alicante) for over 4 years. Never had knee trouble before that but certainly have now. It seems that Spain is famous for creating joint pains. Not suppose to be like that!! Wonder why
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

The humidity will be a bit of a shock after living in hot, dry, arid Egypt - in Barcelona the air seems to be bone dry in winter, but completely humid and sticky in the summer...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slimalf
Dont think it makes any difference where you live in Spain if you are worrying about your knees. I have lived in Spain (Alicante) for over 4 years. Never had knee trouble before that but certainly have now. It seems that Spain is famous for creating joint pains. Not suppose to be like that!! Wonder why
I have had hip problems since before I came here 5 years ago

I definitely have a lot less pain here - hardly any in the summer - I virtually stop taking pain relief - and a much lower dosage even in the winter