Radiotherapy

Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:03 am
Just Joined

patricia is a jewel in the roughpatricia is a jewel in the roughpatricia is a jewel in the roughpatricia is a jewel in the rough
Default Radiotherapy

Can someone help with advice please. We have been living in Spain for 4 years and had no health problems. But a few months ago my husband was rushed in as an emergency which we used our E111 card. He had a 10 day stay in hospital and has had some tests done and they have found that he has prostrate cancer. The treatment thay have suggested is radiotherapy.

Question 1 Can anyone tell us the cost of private radiotherapy in Spain he needs 30?

Question 2 If we go back to the UK can we just pick up at our doctors ( we never came off their books although we have no UK addresss) and have the treatment over there ?
If anyone has been in this situation would be grateful for any advice. Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:26 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice
Default Re: Radiotherapy

how much treatment would be in spain no idear sorry.my parents live in spain and use our address we order there perscriptions for them and send the tablets out to them .is there any ones address you could use near to you old doctors .i would get it sorted prity quick to get his treatment on the way .good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

So sorry about your husbands illness.

Unfortunately the UK NHS system is residence based. If you leave the country and your old dr knows, he/she should have sent your records away and no longer hold them at the Practice. However, if you didn't tell them you may get away with it provided you can supply a (supposedly) permanent address in the area covered by the same Dr's Practice.

Alternatively if you can provide a 'permanent' address elsewhere in the UK you could just register at the Drs in that area giving your previous Drs details.

Your husband will not get his treatment in the UK if you say that you are permanently resident in Spain.

As to the cost of private treatment in Spain, sorry no idea. You need to find a private hospital in your area and see if they provide the treatment on a 'pay as you go basis'.

Best of luck

Rose
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:26 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patricia
If we go back to the UK can we just pick up at our doctors (we never came off their books although we have no UK address) and have the treatment over there ?
Sympathy and all that but...
...do you feel you are still morally entitled to free health care in the UK?
I hope treatment is successful wherever you get it but if it's the UK then I do hope that you have never complained (and never will) about immigrants availing themselves of the UK's goodwill.
Maybe if you feel any compunction about using the UK's resources when you are not entitled and when there are people who ARE entitled on waiting lists you could make a very large donation to a cancer charity.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I hope treatment is successful wherever you get it but if it's the UK then I do hope that you have never complained (and never will) about immigrants availing themselves of the UK's goodwill.
Maybe if you feel any compunction about using the UK's resources when you are not entitled and when there are people who ARE entitled on waiting lists you could make a very large donation to a cancer charity.
Oh my
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:49 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
Oh my
Hillybilly is right though.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jjh
Hillybilly is right though.
A bit harsh though imo.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:23 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

A bit harsh though imo.

I didn´t say she wasn´t harsh, I said she was right.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjh
And imo when someone asks for advice over such delicate matters, they really do not need to hear that regardless if it is right or wrong.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally with you
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
Agreed.

Health care for expats in Spain is a minefield and it's easy to be wise after the event.

The reality is that if you leave the UK for more than 3 months (6 months for a pensioner) you lose all rights to healthcare in the UK. If you are not resident in the UK you are not entitled to use a E111/EHIC that was issued in the UK - you are supposed to return it.

If you come to live in Spain and are not entitled to an EHIC, E121 or E106, and you are not paying into the Spanish social security system then you have NO health cover at all - not even for emergency treatment.

The only option is private medical insurance (which is relatively cheap in Spain).

If you do not take that option you are effectively self insuring and will have to pay for any treatment you require.

That's the situation - it may not be fair but that's the way it is.

Apart from paying for the treatment in Spain about the only option is to return to the UK and hope that you can persuade the local health authority to pay for the treatment within a reasonable timescale.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:56 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

OK, to redress the balance for you (maybe you'll feel differently when you've got relatives on NHS waiting lists or heaven forbid are on one yourself when you run back to the UK):
Sure! Go for it! Go back to the UK (where you no longer have an address and haven't been contributing for years but what the hell), go and see your doctor, make out you live there permanently, get free treatment on the NHS, get cured, return to your home in Spain. No problem at all!
There...is that better?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

To clarify before i get beaten with sticks. i did not say the original poster was right or wrong. I just thought it would of been nice for someone who has the knowledge to give an opinion. x

Last edited by missbad; Aug 12th 2009 at 8:04 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:15 pm
Structural Surveyor

I just thought it would of been nice for someone who has the knowledge togive an opinion. x
Not sure I follow.
I have the knowledge (the OP is no longer legitimately entitled to healthcare in the UK) and I gave my opinion.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure I follow.
I have the knowledge (the OP is no longer legitimately entitled to healthcare in the UK) and I gave my opinion.
You sure did!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.