British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/r-i-p-keith-sunderland-522602/)

garf Mar 18th 2008 9:35 am

R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

Hi.

I am hoping that some one out there in sunny Spain can help me. I am looking for some advice and a helping hand . . . In January a good friend of mine lost his battle with cancer and I am trying to help fulfill his wish that his ashes be scattered off the coast of the Costa Del Sol.

Does anyone know the legalities of scattering ashes in Spain? Do you need to inform the authorities or obtain a license of any sort? Do you have to go so far out to sea?

Also I am looking for a boat owner who would be willing to help, expenses would of course be paid. There will be between 6 and 10 people attending the 'scattering'.

I would be grateful for any advice forum members may be able to offer.

I am due to travel to Spain mid April.

Thanks Garf.

bil Mar 18th 2008 11:20 am

Re: R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

Truly it is easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission, grasshopper.

I have no experience of the Spanish response to dumping sterile ash in small quantities into the sea.

Were I doing what you wish in UK waters, and someone castigated me for it my response would be simple.

"Look knob-end, you stop 'em pumping sh*t into the sea all the live long day, and then I will be happy to continue this discussion."

garf Mar 18th 2008 11:35 pm

You make a good point bil, but for the sake of his wife and family who will also be there, I'd rather try and find the correct protocol - I wouldn't like to be the cause of any arrest's or jailing's. They do like Spain but I doubt they would enjoy the hospitality of the guardia civil.
Would you know anyone with access to a boat? and would you have any idea how much the hire of one might be?

bil Mar 18th 2008 11:45 pm

Yeah well, I AM aware that addressing the civi as 'knob-end' would be less than wise.

As I say, I personally would just tell people it was a sightseeing trip, slip the captain something crinkly and do it like that.

There have been a couple of incidences in Spain where I have been told 'You can't do that officially. Just be discreet about it.'

I have no idea at all about boat costs. See if there is an English owner around. They might be a whole lot more understanding.

Best of luck, anyway.

garf Mar 18th 2008 11:51 pm

Thanks very much for that Bil

There's always a way ;)

Garf

bil Mar 18th 2008 11:59 pm

Very true. Hope you manage to sort it out without drowning in red tape.

garf Mar 19th 2008 12:02 am

Think I may go for the crinkly discreet way......

Fuengerola harbour?

Tooanfrom Mar 19th 2008 4:41 am

We did a very similar ceremony in the Bay of Islands,NZ. Our friend Judith(UK resident) had expressed her wish for her ashes to be scattered from the ferry boat between Paihia and Russell.

Just do it --if anybody gets uptight, just do a "No comprendo" .

jdr Mar 19th 2008 6:37 am

Originally Posted by garf (Post 6081764)
Think I may go for the crinkly discreet way......

Fuengerola harbour?

Just do it, like you say Fuengirola harbour, along the beach to Los Biliches are some groynes or Benalmedena harbour.
If you want to do it in style, hire one of the fishing boats and go out to sea a bit, I am sure the guy with the boat will be ok.

DebsyW Mar 19th 2008 10:04 am

Sounds awful, I know, but a mate of mine took his mum to South Africa in a large yoghurt pot. He and his dad scattered her ashes and nobody but they knew about it. They said she would have seen the funny side........... !?!

jackytoo Mar 19th 2008 10:13 am

I know one or two whose ashes were scattered on a golf course here.

SueG Mar 19th 2008 10:18 am

I took my Dad to Switzerland in what looked like a large plastic sweet jar and had the required paperwork from the funeral directors - OH was in charge because believe it or not he was quite heavy - got a few funny looks as he went through the x-ray machine!! He was then scattered over a mountainside which was empty when we arrived but people arrived out of nowhere when we found a suitable place!!!! To top it all the breeze arrived and father flew over everything. He would have find it so funny especially us trying to be very discreet in our endeavours. So if anyone sees a small ash pile on top of an alpine garden up a mountain in Swizterland that's my Dad - stay and have a chat with him and tell him all is well and Mother wants her ashes scattered in Brazil:huh:

garf Mar 19th 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 6083505)
I know one or two whose ashes were scattered on a golf course here.

Keith wasn't very much of a golf fan, but I'll bear it in mind.

Thank's for your input Jackytoo :)

Garf

garf Mar 19th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom (Post 6082501)
We did a very similar ceremony in the Bay of Islands,NZ. Our friend Judith(UK resident) had expressed her wish for her ashes to be scattered from the ferry boat between Paihia and Russell.

Just do it --if anybody gets uptight, just do a "No comprendo" .

I had a lovely time in Bay of Islands a few years ago, it's a beautiful place in a wonderful corner of the world.

Thank you for the comment, It's very much appreciated.

Garf

garf Mar 19th 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6082769)
Just do it, like you say Fuengirola harbour, along the beach to Los Biliches are some groynes or Benalmedena harbour.
If you want to do it in style, hire one of the fishing boats and go out to sea a bit, I am sure the guy with the boat will be ok.

Keith loved Both Fuengerola and Benalmadena, the fishing boat sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the post :)