Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

garf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the rough
Default R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

Hi.

I am hoping that some one out there in sunny Spain can help me. I am looking for some advice and a helping hand . . . In January a good friend of mine lost his battle with cancer and I am trying to help fulfill his wish that his ashes be scattered off the coast of the Costa Del Sol.

Does anyone know the legalities of scattering ashes in Spain? Do you need to inform the authorities or obtain a license of any sort? Do you have to go so far out to sea?

Also I am looking for a boat owner who would be willing to help, expenses would of course be paid. There will be between 6 and 10 people attending the 'scattering'.

I would be grateful for any advice forum members may be able to offer.

I am due to travel to Spain mid April.

Thanks Garf.

Last edited by garf; Mar 18th 2008 at 9:38 am. Reason: dates added
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:20 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: R.I.P. Keith from Sunderland

Truly it is easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission, grasshopper.

I have no experience of the Spanish response to dumping sterile ash in small quantities into the sea.

Were I doing what you wish in UK waters, and someone castigated me for it my response would be simple.

"Look knob-end, you stop 'em pumping sh*t into the sea all the live long day, and then I will be happy to continue this discussion."
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

garf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the roughgarf is a jewel in the rough

You make a good point bil, but for the sake of his wife and family who will also be there, I'd rather try and find the correct protocol - I wouldn't like to be the cause of any arrest's or jailing's. They do like Spain but I doubt they would enjoy the hospitality of the guardia civil.
Would you know anyone with access to a boat? and would you have any idea how much the hire of one might be?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah well, I AM aware that addressing the civi as 'knob-end' would be less than wise.

As I say, I personally would just tell people it was a sightseeing trip, slip the captain something crinkly and do it like that.

There have been a couple of incidences in Spain where I have been told 'You can't do that officially. Just be discreet about it.'

I have no idea at all about boat costs. See if there is an English owner around. They might be a whole lot more understanding.

Best of luck, anyway.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for that Bil

There's always a way

Garf
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:59 pm
bil
Banned

Very true. Hope you manage to sort it out without drowning in red tape.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Think I may go for the crinkly discreet way......

Fuengerola harbour?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

We did a very similar ceremony in the Bay of Islands,NZ. Our friend Judith(UK resident) had expressed her wish for her ashes to be scattered from the ferry boat between Paihia and Russell.

Just do it --if anybody gets uptight, just do a "No comprendo" .
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garf View Post
Think I may go for the crinkly discreet way......

Fuengerola harbour?
Just do it, like you say Fuengirola harbour, along the beach to Los Biliches are some groynes or Benalmedena harbour.
If you want to do it in style, hire one of the fishing boats and go out to sea a bit, I am sure the guy with the boat will be ok.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds awful, I know, but a mate of mine took his mum to South Africa in a large yoghurt pot. He and his dad scattered her ashes and nobody but they knew about it. They said she would have seen the funny side........... !?!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:13 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I know one or two whose ashes were scattered on a golf course here.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I took my Dad to Switzerland in what looked like a large plastic sweet jar and had the required paperwork from the funeral directors - OH was in charge because believe it or not he was quite heavy - got a few funny looks as he went through the x-ray machine!! He was then scattered over a mountainside which was empty when we arrived but people arrived out of nowhere when we found a suitable place!!!! To top it all the breeze arrived and father flew over everything. He would have find it so funny especially us trying to be very discreet in our endeavours. So if anyone sees a small ash pile on top of an alpine garden up a mountain in Swizterland that's my Dad - stay and have a chat with him and tell him all is well and Mother wants her ashes scattered in Brazil
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
I know one or two whose ashes were scattered on a golf course here.
Keith wasn't very much of a golf fan, but I'll bear it in mind.

Thank's for your input Jackytoo

Garf
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post
We did a very similar ceremony in the Bay of Islands,NZ. Our friend Judith(UK resident) had expressed her wish for her ashes to be scattered from the ferry boat between Paihia and Russell.

Just do it --if anybody gets uptight, just do a "No comprendo" .
I had a lovely time in Bay of Islands a few years ago, it's a beautiful place in a wonderful corner of the world.

Thank you for the comment, It's very much appreciated.

Garf
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Just do it, like you say Fuengirola harbour, along the beach to Los Biliches are some groynes or Benalmedena harbour.
If you want to do it in style, hire one of the fishing boats and go out to sea a bit, I am sure the guy with the boat will be ok.
Keith loved Both Fuengerola and Benalmadena, the fishing boat sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.