Quick question

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

LeavingtheUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question

Nothing illegal in this, but there was a debate last night about this and I would like to ask you: how can a person leave the uk to spain without having the passport checked at all, not even to check in or something else? I'm not talking about entering Spain, just about exiting the uk. And using the wrong name?

Thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Quick question

Originally Posted by LeavingtheUK
Nothing illegal in this, but there was a debate last night about this and I would like to ask you: how can a person leave the uk to spain without having the passport checked at all, not even to check in or something else? I'm not talking about entering Spain, just about exiting the uk. And using the wrong name?

Thanks.
Several times I have traveled from Birmingham airport and never had my passport checked. It is terrible our lives could be put in danger because of this!!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
To be a little pedantic, I presume you mean UK citizens? I've seen many, for example Spanish citizens, travelling from the UK to Spain and they produce their ID cards. Many don't have a passport and indeed don't need one for travel between EU states, just this card. That's one of the reasons I was upset that the ID card wasn't introduced in the UK. If it had have been, when travelling between EU countries I wouldn't have needed a UK passport at all, just the card at a huge cost saving!
Before the card idea was dropped, I recall that certain parts of the UK (NW England/Manchester?) were invited to apply for the card as a trial. Don't know how many did apply and if so, if such cards are still valid for travel between EU countries.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Most UK airlines require you to supply passengers information up front before you travel to Spain. If you travel from Spain to the UK for example it is only the airlines that check your ID as you leave as they don't want to pay the heavy fine should you be an illegal immigrant - Spain couldn't care less as you are leaving. Of course border checks are then made in the UK as it is not part of Schengen (thank goodness)
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Surely using the wrong name as you have put it is illegal. I would have thought that attempting to leave without a passport would be sheer stupidity.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Shouldn't happen ever, however if you have no checked in luggage, and get your tickets on line, then you could get as far as the security check withoout a valid passport, but, unless they are very slack, you should get stopped there.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

As said previously the check just before you go through security at UK airports only looks at your boarding card. Often when accessing a Spanish plane, the crew are only interested in the boarding card.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

hide away in the boot of a car and take the ferry/tunnel
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

But as stated before, you can only print your boarding card having entered passport details online as required by Spanish authorities. If you can get across to France you could cross the France/Spanish road border without check.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I have been on a coach trip to mainland Europe from UK I have rarely had to show my passport other than hold it up for a head count. The details are entered on a form that is passed around on the coach and then handed by the driver to the border control.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rspltd
Most UK airlines require you to supply passengers information up front before you travel to Spain. If you travel from Spain to the UK for example it is only the airlines that check your ID as you leave as they don't want to pay the heavy fine should you be an illegal immigrant - Spain couldn't care less as you are leaving. Of course border checks are then made in the UK as it is not part of Schengen (thank goodness)

Most UK airlines? It must be all of them. I never heard of an airline that doesn't require you to give them your details.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biffta
To be a little pedantic, I presume you mean UK citizens? I've seen many, for example Spanish citizens, travelling from the UK to Spain and they produce their ID cards. Many don't have a passport and indeed don't need one for travel between EU states, just this card. That's one of the reasons I was upset that the ID card wasn't introduced in the UK. If it had have been, when travelling between EU countries I wouldn't have needed a UK passport at all, just the card at a huge cost saving!
Before the card idea was dropped, I recall that certain parts of the UK (NW England/Manchester?) were invited to apply for the card as a trial. Don't know how many did apply and if so, if such cards are still valid for travel between EU countries.
No, I didn't mean just UK citizens, anyone.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Whenever I have been on a coach trip to mainland Europe from UK I have rarely had to show my passport other than hold it up for a head count. The details are entered on a form that is passed around on the coach and then handed by the driver to the border control.
You mean anyone can put a wrong name and they don't bother checking it?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by searcher48
But as stated before, you can only print your boarding card having entered passport details online as required by Spanish authorities. If you can get across to France you could cross the France/Spanish road border without check.
Yes, but you still have to show your passport or give details of it to travel to France, so still you can't do it without a passport being checked.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EllisG
hide away in the boot of a car and take the ferry/tunnel
I don't think they check passports to travel by ferry to Ireland, do they? That's because UK citizens and Irish don't need to but, how can they know who is UK citizen and who is not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.