Queuing.

Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:14 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queuing.

Not something I enjoy doing (who does?) and I tend to have an anxiety attack when choosing the correct queue at the supermarket. I must admit to scanning each queue and ruling out those with too many women (delay in paying as they search for their bank cards) or pensioners (pulling out various bits of discount paper etc).
Of course it's difficult for a Brit in a typical Spanish shop. Instead of waiting in a physical line, the Spanish rely on verbal communication (quien da la luz?) to work out who is next in the queue, and if the Brit doesn't have the lingo they may struggle to follow what's going on. Especially as the others will wander about, natter and view special offers. I wonder if this is a European trait? I was in a local fish and chip shop in the UK last week (one that attracts a lot of tourists) and a French family were there to try this speciality they'd heard about. Despite the fact the queue was obvious to follow, they had to be practically physically pushed by others in the queue to keep it moving forward. Perhaps they were just waiting for the relevant comment in French "My turn next, then yours..."
How do you cope with queues?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queuing.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Not something I enjoy doing (who does?) and I tend to have an anxiety attack when choosing the correct queue at the supermarket. I must admit to scanning each queue and ruling out those with too many women (delay in paying as they search for their bank cards) or pensioners (pulling out various bits of discount paper etc).
Of course it's difficult for a Brit in a typical Spanish shop. Instead of waiting in a physical line, the Spanish rely on verbal communication (quien da la luz?) to work out who is next in the queue, and if the Brit doesn't have the lingo they may struggle to follow what's going on. Especially as the others will wander about, natter and view special offers. I wonder if this is a European trait? I was in a local fish and chip shop in the UK last week (one that attracts a lot of tourists) and a French family were there to try this speciality they'd heard about. Despite the fact the queue was obvious to follow, they had to be practically physically pushed by others in the queue to keep it moving forward. Perhaps they were just waiting for the relevant comment in French "My turn next, then yours..."
Yes ,it is all verbal in every shop.People randomly standing around and then someone comes in.El ultim or ultimo is what they ask.It does take a bit of getting used to but weve got to do it.Will never get served otherwise.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:28 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

If all else is equal I choose the prettiest checkout girl.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Badly. I hate them, especially as it happens so often that I choose the shortest queue, which then becomes the longest.

The classic was when I did the usual, went for the shortest and was the last person out the supermarket. Even the people behind me moved to other queues, and as my stuff was on the belt, I couldn't do the same.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere that it was a British trait to queue, no one else does it they just gather and "know" who is in front of them.

But so saying, in Russia they used to join a queue without knowing what they were queueing for. Usually because it meant there was something at the end of it that may have been in short supply.

I am sure there are people out there who have written dissertations on the ethics and reasons for queueing - but I won't be queueing to read them
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am the same trying to suss out the shortest queue Never works, even what looks the shortest where people have less in their trollies turns into a nightmare. A bar card is missing or someones card is refused or they decide to change operator who takes ages to get settled and then the till roll runs out

In Spain there is no such thing as a line, everyone just walks around. If you ask "quién es la última" and remember that person then it usually works out ok. There is always a 70 year old 4 foot spaniard who will try to jump the queue
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well, I am the same trying to suss out the shortest queue Never works, even what looks the shortest where people have less in their trollies turns into a nightmare. A bar card is missing or someones card is refused or they decide to change operator who takes ages to get settled and then the till roll runs out

In Spain there is no such thing as a line, everyone just walks around. If you ask "quién es la última" and remember that person then it usually works out ok. There is always a 70 year old 4 foot spaniard who will try to jump the queue
they also do it in the uk - perhaps they are worried they may not live long enough to get to the head of the queue
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Italy used to be horrible. The old ladies were the worst "jump queue" offenders. If you ever dared to tell them - even politely - "excuse me, I think you'll find I was before you" they used to puff out their ample chests and rise on their toes and out stare you or come up with some pathetic excuse that they were more in a hurry than you.

In recent years the post office and the banks have put up a number system or a taped, ribbon layout where you have to follow the line.

This doesn't stop them at the ham and cheese counter in supermarkets from still trying to push in though when the shop girl/boy says "who's next?"

And when it comes to getting on a train - it's still very much push and shove. As much as I think it's downright bloody rude and ignorant, I am not above sticking my elbows out at right angles so that I can safely get my kids onto the train without leaving one of them behind or one of them getting shoved onto the rails. At the same time as sticking out my elbows I also make loud comments about the manners of others in the vague hope that somebody might listen and give my kids enough space to safely get on or off.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

the other day in the supermarket there was a fully loaded unattended trolley at the end of a queue, which had moved on leaving a big gap

I approached the queue - thought a second - & joined the actual queue in front of the trolley

a diminutive spanish lady joined behind me with just a barra & I let her in front of me - her saying thanks & both of us shrugging & wondering about this trolley - she muttering about 'los franceses maleducados'

& lo & behold a french woman came up, claimed her trolley & evil-eyed both me & the Spanish lady for pushing in!!

either she didn't speak spanish or just didn't dare say anything....the little spanish lady had a much eviller eye!!

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 24th 2011 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:56 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

That happened to me in the fish shop. This arrogant old bag just pushed in front of me. To my delight tho, the woman behind the counter just gave her a frosty glare, pointed to me and said 'I think you'll find this gentleman was next.'
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Italy used to be horrible. The old ladies were the worst "jump queue" offenders. If you ever dared to tell them - even politely - "excuse me, I think you'll find I was before you" they used to puff out their ample chests and rise on their toes and out stare you or come up with some pathetic excuse that they were more in a hurry than you.

In recent years the post office and the banks have put up a number system or a taped, ribbon layout where you have to follow the line.

This doesn't stop them at the ham and cheese counter in supermarkets from still trying to push in though when the shop girl/boy says "who's next?"

And when it comes to getting on a train - it's still very much push and shove. As much as I think it's downright bloody rude and ignorant, I am not above sticking my elbows out at right angles so that I can safely get my kids onto the train without leaving one of them behind or one of them getting shoved onto the rails. At the same time as sticking out my elbows I also make loud comments about the manners of others in the vague hope that somebody might listen and give my kids enough space to safely get on or off.
i used to hold doors open for old and young ladies - its how i was brought up.
no longer! I have them slam doors in my face, never say thank you, drift past as if it was a god given right instead of just a man given right. The last time I was ignored I actually said "Ignorant " in a loud voice which at least got me a dirty look.
also used to offer up my seat but as I am now in 60's with arthritic knees I don't bother.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:03 pm

[QUOTE=lynnxa;9515900]the other day in the supermarket there was a fully loaded unattended trolley at the end of a queue, which had moved on leaving a big gap

I approached the queue - thought a second - & joined the actual queue in front of the trolley

a diminutive spanish lady joined behind me with just a barra & I let her in front of me - her saying thanks & both of us shrugging & wondering about this trolley - she muttering about 'los franceses maleducados'

& lo & behold & french woman came up, claimed her trolley & evil-eyed both me & the Spanish lady for pushing in!!

either she didn't speak spanish or just didn't dare say anything....the little spanish lady had a much eviller eye!![/QUOTE]

that must be same lady I wouldnt get out of my bus seat for last month - or her sister
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
i used to hold doors open for old and young ladies - its how i was brought up.
no longer! I have them slam doors in my face, never say thank you, drift past as if it was a god given right instead of just a man given right. The last time I was ignored I actually said "Ignorant " in a loud voice which at least got me a dirty look.
also used to offer up my seat but as I am now in 60's with arthritic knees I don't bother.
I still hold doors open for all sorts of people but a long time ago - after said person had just walzed through without even a bare glance or a shadow of a smile, let alone a proper thank you ... I started shouting after them "PREGO" trying to show them up or make them think.

Some turn around and utter a belated "grazie".

Some turn round and smile because they just have not got the total sarcasm.

Some of them must be deaf as well as pig ignorant.

The shameful thing is, when somebody is genuinely nice and gracious towards us or holds a door open for us ... my kids say "that man/lady was nice wasn't he/she mummy." It shouldn't be the exception that they notice because bad manners are more generally the norm. Hardly anybody here ever looks back to see if the door might slam backwards into somebody's face.

I learnt very quickly that if my hands were on a pushchair and not free to block slamming or swinging doors - to always have a foot sticking out.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:09 pm
bil
Banned

I will hold a door for someone, as I consider it good manners, but I won't open a door for a woman per se, unless I'd open it for a bloke in the same cirumstances.

We're supposed to be equal. Plus, my back hurts if I stand for too long, so no, ain't no-one having my seat either.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by bil
I will hold a door for someone, as I consider it good manners, but I won't open a door for a woman per se, unless I'd open it for a bloke in the same cirumstances.

We're supposed to be equal. Plus, my back hurts if I stand for too long, so no, ain't no-one having my seat either.
I find that men, especially younger ones, acknowledge the courtesy - sometimes with a surprised look on their faces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.