Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question for Rugbymatt

Question for Rugbymatt

Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for Rugbymatt

At least six times over the last fortnight I've had to flush loads of water away from my Chlorine based swimming pool and it seems such a waste of water so I had this idea about getting some of those PVC storage tanks and filling them up with it .... but being a complete wazzuck when it comes to gardening ....... is chlorinated water going to kill all the plants if I did that. Most of the stuff we can grow are cacti, hardy plants and bushes really
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:27 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question for Rugbymatt

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
At least six times over the last fortnight I've had to flush loads of water away from my Chlorine based swimming pool and it seems such a waste of water so I had this idea about getting some of those PVC storage tanks and filling them up with it .... but being a complete wazzuck when it comes to gardening ....... is chlorinated water going to kill all the plants if I did that. Most of the stuff we can grow are cacti, hardy plants and bushes really

Hi Mitz

I know this was for Matt, but I thought I would add my twopennysworth, your pool water is fine to water plants with, I have used our pool water for the last 5 years and mt plants look very healthy. Chlorine water from pools (if kept at correct conditions) is fit for human consummation and my pussy just luvs to have a nice long drink from it everyday. Don't know anything about cacti but I would think Matt would know.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks crispy
Yesterday our water was off all day (we eventually went down to town about 8 pm and bought 24 litres in bottles and when we got back it was on again!) but during the day we found the pool useful as a source for washing dishes & washing

I need to get some of those ex chemical storage plastic containers with the metal frames on, get them washed out properly, and situate them at the top of the garden. Because we are on such a hill, I'm hoping that gravity will be enough to run pipes down through the garden and spray water when its dryer
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:08 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Clorine is made from salt, so would you water your plants with salted water ?
Although big plants could probably handle it in small doses.

http://www.eurochlor.org/aboutchlorine

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_Wa...ing_pool_water
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:34 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Clorine is made from salt, so would you water your plants with salted water ?
http://www.eurochlor.org/aboutchlorine

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_Wa...ing_pool_water
Dunno JDR, I have to be restrained when I go out in the garden unless I pull up all the plants when weeding, such is my gardening prowess.

We have some plants that we pulled off the beach at Oliva, so presumably they aren't fussed about the saltyness

Thanks for the links
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:26 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't..............

I'm sure that some people have got away with it, and yeah, some plants are far more tolerant to chemicals than others, in fact some, like Lupins and London Planes, thrive in chemical rich situations, but others will just rot back.

Oh and I wouldn't drink chlorinated water too many times either, as jdr said it is a very strong chemical and will eventually kill you by rotting out the lining of your stomach.

although to be honest, with the amount of gin in you, I doubt you will even feel it!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:59 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh and I wouldn't drink chlorinated water too many times either, as jdr said it is a very strong chemical and will eventually kill you by rotting out the lining of your stomach.
although to be honest, with the amount of gin in you, I doubt you will even feel it!
Euch .... I cant imagine drinking pool water, although I have swallowed a fair amount whilst nearly drowning on more than one occasion.

Gin is a great leveller ........ if I drink too much of it I end up lying on my back on the terrace
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:16 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Euch .... I cant imagine drinking pool water, although I have swallowed a fair amount whilst nearly drowning on more than one occasion.

Gin is a great leveller ........ if I drink too much of it I end up lying on my back on the terrace
I'm back on the wagon.....................and I hate it!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Mitz

Imy pussy just luvs to have a nice long drink from it everyday. .
Misread this at first..
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:44 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I bow to matt's expertise but just for the record Mitz the plants that I water from the pool are bougainvillea, jasmin, hibiscus (have been complemented on these), bignonia Campaisa, palm tree, magnolia, yucca, pelargoniums, Nerium Oleander, creeping lemon thyme. Last year the tomatoes did fantastically well and this year the peppers were great as well.

As for drinking the water I was not advocating that you should drink the water for many peeps the taste would be enough to stop them, I was just stating that it is drinkable. The about of salt in pool water should be of such a small amount that it will not cause you harm. Like every thing in life moderation is called for. The reading of the chlorine would have to be 10 and over for it to signal alarms bells, back in England 10 is the upper limit, a public swimming pool would be closed down if it got to this level, a pool (public)should be running somewhere in the area of 1 1/2 to 2%.

Don't forget Mitz you can flush with it.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:45 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Misread this at first..
You know I looked at that and thought shall I ........... nah, I thought, it would be too smutty
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I bow to matt's expertise but just for the record Mitz the plants that I water from the pool are bougainvillea, jasmin, hibiscus (have been complemented on these), bignonia Campaisa, palm tree, magnolia, yucca, pelargoniums, Nerium Oleander, creeping lemon thyme. Last year the tomatoes did fantastically well and this year the peppers were great as well.

As for drinking the water I was not advocating that you should drink the water for many peeps the taste would be enough to stop them, I was just stating that it is drinkable. The about of salt in pool water should be of such a small amount that it will not cause you harm. Like every thing in life moderation is called for. The reading of the chlorine would have to be 10 and over for it to signal alarms bells, back in England 10 is the upper limit, a public swimming pool would be closed down if it got to this level, a pool (public)should be running somewhere in the area of 1 1/2 to 2%.

Don't forget Mitz you can flush with it.
If your pool water is that low, no wonder its not effecting the plants. ;-))
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:05 pm
Straw Man.

I wish these threads wouldn't get started, it just gives those that hate me more fuel!!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I wish these threads wouldn't get started, it just gives those that hate me more fuel!!
They all love you really. ;-))
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:17 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
They all love you really. ;-))
who's they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.