Reload this Page >

Question re making a will

Question re making a will

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question re making a will

Can anyone please advise me on this.

I am shortly going to draw up a will. I'm a UK citizen but Spanish resident.

My assets are 50% in UK / 50% in Spain. The deeds of my UK property are held by a UK solicitor.

Having no descendants, I want to leave most of my estate to UK Charities.

I'm not sure what the inheritance tax implications would be...
Would the UK charities have to pay Spanish Inheritance tax on all the assets?
Should I make a Spanish will or a UK will?
I'm going to see a Spanish law firm soon but would appreciate any thoughts.

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 11:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re making a will

Originally Posted by Mustard
Can anyone please advise me on this.

I am shortly going to draw up a will. I'm a UK citizen but Spanish resident.

My assets are 50% in UK / 50% in Spain. The deeds of my UK property are held by a UK solicitor.

Having no descendants, I want to leave most of my estate to UK Charities.

I'm not sure what the inheritance tax implications would be...
Would the UK charities have to pay Spanish Inheritance tax on all the assets?
Should I make a Spanish will or a UK will?
I'm going to see a Spanish law firm soon but would appreciate any thoughts.
Personally, I would make two wills. One for UK assets and one for the Spanish assets.

Make sure each will mentions the existence of the other.

Make sure your Spanish will has the clause in it allowing you to leave your estate to whomever you want.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice. Keep them separate.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Personally, I would make two wills. One for UK assets and one for the Spanish assets.

Make sure your Spanish will has the clause in it allowing you to leave your estate to whomever you want.

That's an interesting idea but what are the advantages of two wills?
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 4:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting idea but what are the advantages of two wills?
If you don't have a Spanish will, then the UK one must be probated first, then it takes simply ages to sort assets in Spain.

There are many other reasons but that's the one that I would be most concerned about.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 6:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It’s all to do with Spanish succession law which takes away almost all your rights to leave your assets to whom you like. They have to be left primarily to the children and the remaining spouse is entitled to nothing apart from the right to live in the family home until death.

In the past, it was generally accepted that this did not apply to foreigners who were able to use the succession law of their own country. This was always a bit vague legally, so a few years ago the EU issued a decree that, if specifically requested in the will, that the foreign law would apply. So, it is essential that you have a will for assets in the UK as well as in Spain. A combined will will create huge problems as the legal systems in both countries are very different.

The simple rule on IHT is that assets in Spain are taxed in Spain irrespective of residency. UK assets bequeathed to a UK resident will be taxed only in the UK but if a Spanish resident receives a bequest of UK assets they will be taxed in Spain. The payment of IHT is down to the recipient unlike UK law where it is the estate that is taxed, not the individual. IHT is a very complex area and the actual tax paid can be determined by your location, not by national rules. If in doubt talk to a professional.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 23rd 2019 at 7:07 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
It’s all to do with Spanish succession law which takes away almost all your rights to leave your assets to whom you like. They have to be left primarily to the children and the remaining spouse is entitled to nothing apart from the right to live in the family home until death.

In the past, it was generally accepted that this did not apply to foreigners who were able to use the succession law of their own country. This was always a bit vague legally, so a few years ago the EU issued a decree that, if specifically requested in the will, that the foreign law would apply. So, it is essential that you have a will for assets in the UK as well as in Spain. A combined will will create huge problems as the legal systems in both countries are very different.

The simple rule on IHT is that assets in Spain are taxed in Spain irrespective of residency. UK assets bequeathed to a UK resident will be taxed only in the UK but if a Spanish resident receives a bequest of UK assets they will be taxed in Spain. The payment of IHT is down to the recipient unlike UK law where it is the estate that is taxed, not the individual. IHT is a very complex area and the actual tax paid can be determined by your location, not by national rules. If in doubt talk to a professional.
Thanks Fred. That makes sense. I shouldn't be affected by Spanish succession law as I have no children. Also as I'm leaving money to registered charities, I understand they won't have to pay tax. I'll try to confirm all this when I get to see a Spanish lawyer
Old Aug 24th 2019, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

in the case of having no children, dont the assets get transferred to the town hall or the government etc? (i might be mistaken, but im sure that i read it somewhere)
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
in the case of having no children, dont the assets get transferred to the town hall or the government etc? (i might be mistaken, but im sure that i read it somewhere)
If you don't leave a will and have no close family then the govt. takes it. As in the UK. It goes to the crown.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Bang on correct imho. The Spanish will also must include a clause that you wish the law relating to your Country of birth to apply to your estate. Your advisor will probably tell you this.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Question re making a will

If you don't leave a will and have no close family then the govt. takes it. As in the UK. It goes to the crown.
hi , i have been told recently if you know some you trust appoint them as your P.O.A we are looking at this now because of family issues ,, i don,t really know, we are going to see our notary soon ,hope this might help it very difficult isn't it
Old Aug 24th 2019, 4:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by el collado kid
hi , i have been told recently if you know some you trust appoint them as your P.O.A we are looking at this now because of family issues ,, i don,t really know, we are going to see our notary soon ,hope this might help it very difficult isn't it
How would this work? POA's cease as soon as you do!
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

hi morning,if that is so i did not know.thanks for information
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hi snikpoh,you are quite right .wife looked up what you said it,s true, thanks once again we now understand P.O.A is if you are alive but not of sound mind or ill .we are still going ahead to give our daughter P.O.A in case of the unexpected...
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not make your daughter the executor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.