Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

question re: doctors etc

question re: doctors etc

Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

lostinspain will become famous soon enoughlostinspain will become famous soon enough
Default question re: doctors etc

Hi again, after some time. I had a new issue the other day, I needed to see a doctor and my local GP (who knows us) said we need some card sent from the UK. I have all the paperwork (don't have NIE as I don't work in Spain, but doing research for foreign company freelance) and my British Lawyer here in Valencia told me that I need only passport ad this empadrimento (or something) paper which I have.

The doctor saw me but I need to sot this out as I have a small child also and this is important. We were lucky we didn't need a doctor in 2 years, but now I am confused, lawyer says one thing doctor another.

Can you give any suggestions pls. Sorry for any mistakes as rushing this before I lose wireless as I am in the bus.
Thank you.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question re: doctors etc

Originally Posted by lostinspain
Hi again, after some time. I had a new issue the other day, I needed to see a doctor and my local GP (who knows us) said we need some card sent from the UK. I have all the paperwork (don't have NIE as I don't work in Spain, but doing research for foreign company freelance) and my British Lawyer here in Valencia told me that I need only passport ad this empadrimento (or something) paper which I have.

The doctor saw me but I need to sot this out as I have a small child also and this is important. We were lucky we didn't need a doctor in 2 years, but now I am confused, lawyer says one thing doctor another.

Can you give any suggestions pls. Sorry for any mistakes as rushing this before I lose wireless as I am in the bus.
Thank you.
You need an E106 form from DWP in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

lostinspain will become famous soon enoughlostinspain will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
You need an E106 form from DWP in the UK.
Thank you but I have no idea where to get this. I left UK 2005 for USA and have no more connections there. Can I do it over the net? Do I need my NI or something else?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you but I have no idea where to get this. I left UK 2005 for USA and have no more connections there. Can I do it over the net? Do I need my NI or something else?
Thanks again.
You can only get them on a tempory up to two year basis if you have paid up UK contributions prior to moving abroad, so you won`t qualify.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
You can only get them on a tempory up to two year basis if you have paid up UK contributions prior to moving abroad, so you won`t qualify.
so what can we do? If my child gets sick I have to go private all the time?
I have paid up to NI but not since 2005.
Can I get into Spanis SS system? I am here since june 2007
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

so what can we do? If my child gets sick I have to go private all the time?
I have paid up to NI but not since 2005.
Can I get into Spanis SS system? I am here since june 2007
Trouble is we were all in the same boat, if you are not on a contract in work or self employed and paying into the system or a pensioner then it is, just take a chance and pay for treatment at one of the many private clinics when it is needed or get insurance cover.
A lot of the clinics run a system where you pay a joining fee and this covers certain things and you get a discount on other work done if needed.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 29th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

The only official ways to do it are an E106 or E121 from the department of works and pensions in Newcastle or by paying into the Spanish Social Security system (at a minimum of €240 odd a month!).
OR! Google the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) Newcastle and try applying on there using your UK national insurance number and a UK address.
The EHIC is only meant for emergency treatment, but it MAY allow you to register yourself and child at the doctors (it worked for me!).
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Trouble is we were all in the same boat, if you are not on a contract in work or self employed and paying into the system or a pensioner then it is, just take a chance and pay for treatment at one of the many private clinics when it is needed or get insurance cover.
A lot of the clinics run a system where you pay a joining fee and this covers certain things and you get a discount on other work done if needed.
Oh I see. But I need my local doctor as we live in the small community and I can not go easily with the child to Valencia. Hmmm....Have to find a solution...But strange thing is that my solicitor (who is also a British Consul for Valencia) says that I can get it all done with this empadrimento document and get into Spanish SS system. I also asked if I have to change my driver's licence he said no. but I see on the forum that I have to. Really confused.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by valenciatim
The only official ways to do it are an E106 or E121 from the department of works and pensions in Newcastle or by paying into the Spanish Social Security system (at a minimum of €240 odd a month!).
OR! Google the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) Newcastle and try applying on there using your UK national insurance number and a UK address.
The EHIC is only meant for emergency treatment, but it MAY allow you to register yourself and child at the doctors (it worked for me!).
Where you are Tim is a lot easier although that is soon changing and expats will soon have to pay into the system, same as us.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Where you are Tim is a lot easier although that is soon changing and expats will soon have to pay into the system, same as us.
Thanks all. Just made appointment to see this lawyer again on Tuesday and will try to sort it out. If my Spanish was better I would take care of everything, but alas...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
What for everyone?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Like valenciatim, I just took EHICs for the relevant members of the family plus probably passport, nie, empadronamiento, the whole shooting match... but the point is we're now in the system, complete with a number/paper (annual, renewable) for Andalucia health system. Don't know if they were supposed to do it but the receptionist is a bit of a jobsworth so if it weren't allowed I think she'd take great pleasure in turning it down!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Like valenciatim, I just took EHICs for the relevant members of the family plus probably passport, nie, empadronamiento, the whole shooting match... but the point is we're now in the system, complete with a number/paper (annual, renewable) for Andalucia health system. Don't know if they were supposed to do it but the receptionist is a bit of a jobsworth so if it weren't allowed I think she'd take great pleasure in turning it down!
I think it'll have an expiry date on it. When you come to renew, it may be a different situation alltogether!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

It is a maximum of 6 months I think, if it has run out you could end up with a bill. ;-)
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I also asked if I have to change my driver's licence he said no. but I see on the forum that I have to. Really confused.
No, you dont have to change your driving licence if you have an EU photo licence. If you have an American driving licence then thats a different subject

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.