Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question about schools

Question about schools

Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Glasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant future
Default Question about schools

I know there are plenty of thread about scholl and there is info in free beer.But couldn`t find anything about my question.

I know spanish state school have 3 hours break in the afternoon and i`m wondering what are the school yards like? is there any play equipment for the children, such as climbing frames,swings ect?

many thanks
Nicky
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about schools

I think you will find that the hours vary from one area to another and one school to another. At my kids' school, they have a 2 hour break in the afternoon, during which they have their lunch. And in June and September, they only do half days. My two kids are 8 and 4, so primaria and infantil.
Both sets of kids have their own play grounds with climbng frames etc, and the infants are heavily supervised during their breaks.
Also, both do a full 9 to 5 day apart from June and September.
If you live more than 3km away from a state school (certainly in this area), a free bus is also laid on and meals are subsidised for primary ages.
Books and pens etc are paid for by the parents.
For a September start, children normally have to be enrolled in the preceeding April in a specific period.
Hope this helps.
Tim
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of a three hour break in the afternoon, in fact a lot of schools are shortening the breaks to finish at 14.00 or so.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Glasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
Never heard of a three hour break in the afternoon, in fact a lot of schools are shortening the breaks to finish at 14.00 or so.
Maybe I got that with the lunch break a little wrong, lol.

Nicky
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I think you will find that the hours vary from one area to another and one school to another. At my kids' school, they have a 2 hour break in the afternoon, during which they have their lunch. And in June and September, they only do half days. My two kids are 8 and 4, so primaria and infantil.
Both sets of kids have their own play grounds with climbng frames etc, and the infants are heavily supervised during their breaks.
Also, both do a full 9 to 5 day apart from June and September.
If you live more than 3km away from a state school (certainly in this area), a free bus is also laid on and meals are subsidised for primary ages.
Books and pens etc are paid for by the parents.
For a September start, children normally have to be enrolled in the preceeding April in a specific period.
Hope this helps.
Tim
Thanks for that Tim,helps a lot. What is there on offe for the children during the lunch break?

Nicky
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgeekess
Thanks for that Tim,helps a lot. What is there on offe for the children during the lunch break?

Nicky
Again, I think it will vary from one place to another. At our school, both my kids have a balanced 3 course meal, set a month in advance, and it rarely repeats through the month. It's proper food too, there may be chips one day a week, or burgers once a month, always plenty of veg and salads.
The infants meals are supervised with one adult per table of 4 or 5 kids, and a weekly report is sent home showing if they have eaten properly.
If you would like, I can try to dig out a menu and e-mail you a copy, but you will need a decent dictionary!
Tim
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Most schools round here have a 'comedor' for kids whose parents are at work, various activities and of course a meal. You do have to pay for this however.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:43 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Again, I think it will vary from one place to another. At our school, both my kids have a balanced 3 course meal, set a month in advance, and it rarely repeats through the month. It's proper food too, there may be chips one day a week, or burgers once a month, always plenty of veg and salads.
The infants meals are supervised with one adult per table of 4 or 5 kids, and a weekly report is sent home showing if they have eaten properly.
If you would like, I can try to dig out a menu and e-mail you a copy, but you will need a decent dictionary!
Tim
you forgot to mention the red wine and cigs.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Our 2 girls (11 and 8) go to a Sapnish state school. They do 9 til 2 with a half hour break for a snack and a drink and in June and September they do 9 til 1 (still with the half hour break). For those of working parents they can stay on (at a price) and have a meal and play for a few hours until either 4 or 5 o clock. I think it must vary a lot from place to place, we are in Cobena, Madrid.
Christine
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies, this really helps a lot.

You all say that you have to enroll the children in march-april. is it possible to get children into a school during term,cause I don`t think we will be able to get over till next August.

Thanks
Nicky
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You all say that you have to enroll the children in march-april. is it possible to get children into a school during term,cause I don`t think we will be able to get over till next August.

Thanks
Nicky
Schools here in Ontinyent vary between primary and secondary. For prinary, in June, July and September it's half days 9-1 with a snack break. For the other months it's 9-12 then 3-5. Lunch time the children can either stay for school dinners or go home (no option of packed lunches). Within lunchtime, aside from eating, the children can play in the VERY large playground with their friends.

Many people on this forum have stated it's not possible to join mid-term. However, we were able to enrol our twins (then 7) and our eldest (then 10).

Our eldest has just gone up to secondary (private but Spanish) school where the hours are completely different - too complicated even to consider at the moment
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nice

Hi,
our son aged 12 goes to private Spanish school hours 9-5 with 2 hr lunch break. They have excellant meals and during lunch break can choose various activities such as tennis, football, judo, basketball, golf, swimming. June and Sept he finishes at 1.30. he breaks up 20th June to 15th Sept. During July he can go to summer school, I think In most areas of spain schools arrange summer activities for children.

Sue
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

I know there are plenty of thread about scholl and there is info in free beer.But couldn`t find anything about my question.

I know spanish state school have 3 hours break in the afternoon and i`m wondering what are the school yards like? is there any play equipment for the children, such as climbing frames,swings ect?

many thanks
Nicky
Hi, my daughter goes to primary state school from 9 til 2 every day so comes home for lunch and stays home after. The school in the village in which we live however stay at school til 4.30 having the option to eat at school or go home and return. i think you will find it depends on where you intend to live. My daughters school has limited resources for play in the way of climbing frames etc but what more does a child need than a yard and friends? They make their own fun.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Nicky
you can enrol at any time - when we moved ours from International school to spanish state school, we went to the Ayuntamiento & casa de cultura to do the paperwork on the Friday & they started on the following Monday.
This was at the end of the Christamas break.

I heard of some kids starting at the local secondary school a week before the end of the school year in June! Can't imagine why - and neither could the teacher there who told me!

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 17th 2008 at 6:13 am.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:13 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa;
you can enrol at any time
But subject to places being available, which there aren't always.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.