Reload this Page >

Question about moving possessions to Spain

Question about moving possessions to Spain

Old Apr 22nd 2022, 7:44 am
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about moving possessions to Spain

Hello All,

I have been living in Spain for just under 5 years now.

I was thinking about bringing some of my possessions from the UK to Spain. However the items in question are very specific.

I have a large vinyl record, book and musical instrument collection back in the UK, which I'd like to bring to Spain at some point in the future. But have no idea about the expense of this or if there is a way to not pay any customs charges purely on things which are so personal to me.

I was considering hiring a van then ferrying back to the UK and bringing it all back, but I don't particularly want to face any unnecessary issues. Because its a lifesworth of collecting and I feel I've paid my dues so to speak buying the records and books.

Any advice from people who've done this before?

Paul
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about moving possessions to Spain

Hi
Firstly I must say I am a uk resident and I just have a holiday home in Spain....i have a history of bringing my own items to Spain in my van, via Brittany ferries. It proved to be a great, much cheaper option overall, then Brexit, and i still wanted to bring my furnishings down to furnish my apartment, after several let downs i gave up on the self drive option due to the paperwork, taxes and worry of being stopped and impounded etc.

i got into contact with Ambrose logistics in Cambridgeshire, who transported my items to Spain and sorted out the tax for me. I am sure they could advise you on the return of the tax, as i think you would still need to pay, but you are likely to get it back. As I say they would advise you over the phone on the tax issue, as they are very friendly.

For a cost comparison please look up my post on moving personal goods to Spain, it is a detailed breakdown of my experience, and in regards to cost it was cheaper to send it with them than take it myself, but i wrapped the stuff and drove it to their depot, which obviously adds cost and hassle. One thing i never realised is you pay IVA on the transportation costs as well as the goods, but you may get that back.

regards
Al
Old Apr 24th 2022, 1:45 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about moving possessions to Spain

I don't think there would be any concession on the taxes unless the goods are to qualify as a moving of personal effects on changing country of residency, which must be done within a set timescale.

As the OP has been residing in Spain for 5 years, he'd be well outside of the 12 months allowed for that for possessions (now) coming from outside the EU. They could of course have been transported to Spain any time up to 30th December 2020 without any formalities, but that's history now.