Question

Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question

Hello to everyone!!!

My husband and I are new to the Turis area of Valencia, and we do not know much about anything yet!!

I would like to ask anybody if you know what to do with the olives in trees, they just fall to the patio and make a mess of it.

Txs
Tortis
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

You could collect them and take them to your local co operative, there's a big one just going in to Turis.
Probably time to clear them all off the trees now rather than waiting of them all to drop.
Spread some old sheets or nets under each tree in turn and give the branches all a good shake, then pick off the rest by hand, job done,no more mess.
You won't get rich from the produce of a few olive trees, however most locals do collect them and take them in.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:30 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We exchange ours for olive oil in Jan/Feb - we usually get about 100 litres which we then give away to friends and family (keeping loads for ourselves of course).
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

How many trees have you got, how big and are there any others around you being farmed?

Best solution would be to negotiate with a farmer to care for them and harvest them. That care would include spraying, pruning every two or three years and harvesting. Look for 75% farmer:25% owner returns- or better some free logs or favours. Without care the trees quickly become less productive, overgrown and big.

If it is just one or two trees and you cannot or don't want outside help, you could buy some fibreglass poles and knock them off yourself onto nets. depending on size and how well they are maintained you might get up to 100Kg per tree-that would make up to 20litres of oil. I would suggest not worth your effort and time spent looking for somewhere to process them.

Many Co ops are into traceability now and expect the producer to be accredited in spraying, pruning and weed management.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Thank you for the advise, looks that I will have to keep picking and binning them, as I only have one tree!!!

Do not laugh at me.........jeje.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You are not the only person with one tree, here is another thread about it so you may gain ideas and information from it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...ghlight=olives

Rosemary