Reload this Page >

Which QROPS - with who?

Which QROPS - with who?

Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

john4spain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which QROPS - with who?

Hi everyone,

I've heard of the term QROPS and wondered if anyone has any experience of getting a QROPS?

<snip>

Is qrops worth taking out? I am definately moving abroad for over 5 years.

appreciate any advice.

many thanks

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 9th 2011 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Please do not link to commercial sites. Advertising is not allowed.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which QROPS - with who?

Originally Posted by john4spain
Hi everyone,

I've heard of the term QROPS and wondered if anyone has any experience of getting a QROPS?

<snip>

appreciate any advice.

many thanks
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john4spain
Hi everyone,

<snip>

appreciate any advice.

many thanks
i am not an IFA and cannot give you advice
however
have you tried going to Google and doing a search for QROPS
? ? ?
unless you are just trying to advertise on the forum
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I QROPS'd my pension last year just before the rules changed regarding the age (50 went to 55). Because of that, I was able to instantly take 25% tax free.

Once I have been out of UK for 5 tax years, I can take the remaining 75% tax free if I wish. I will certainly do this next April as I believe that I can make the pension work better for me as cash.

A lot of people talk about New Zealand being a good home for the money but the rules are changing there within the next 12 months - so be VERY careful!

Like others I am not an IFA nor involved in the financial market place but I certainly have experience of QROPS - it worked for me.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:53 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe that after five years outside the UK, it is not compulsory for the UK tax man to be notified about your transaction, however as I see it not telling them does not make it legal, getting caught cashing the full amount out by the UK tax man I think will get you an 80 percent tax bill, be careful cashing in your full pension
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I do believe that after five years outside the UK, it is not compulsory for the UK tax man to be notified about your transaction, however as I see it not telling them does not make it legal, getting caught cashing the full amount out by the UK tax man I think will get you an 80 percent tax bill, be careful cashing in your full pension
No, I think you are mistaken (if I understand your post correctly).

After 5 tax years out side of UK (and you must be able to prove that you have submitted 5 tax returns elsewhere if asked), you are LEGALLY allowed to take 100% of your pension pot. This is the whole point of QROPS.

There are a number of basic criteria and the most obvious is theat the QROPS is a UK approved scheme.

The (up to) 80% tax bill is if you have abused the QROPS rules. For example, not waited the 5 years, not met the age criteria etc. etc.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:05 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
No, I think you are mistaken (if I understand your post correctly).

After 5 tax years out side of UK (and you must be able to prove that you have submitted 5 tax returns elsewhere if asked), you are LEGALLY allowed to take 100% of your pension pot. This is the whole point of QROPS.

There are a number of basic criteria and the most obvious is theat the QROPS is a UK approved scheme.

The (up to) 80% tax bill is if you have abused the QROPS rules. For example, not waited the 5 years, not met the age criteria etc. etc.
Well I can only tell you the advice I have had from three advisors last week, I have been seriously looking into this as I feel I could manage my money better than the cowboys who have it now.

Wish I could get to the truth. Not sure if cashing in the full amount amounts to abuse since the Uk gave us a tax allowance when saving on them.

Like I said, three have warned me off cashing it in recently, and don't forget the 8 percent charge.

I really don't know for sure I have met many who have cashed in though and they seem happy, it is very very tempting.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Well I can only tell you the advice I have had from three advisors last week, I have been seriously looking into this as I feel I could manage my money better than the cowboys who have it now.

Wish I could get to the truth. Not sure if cashing in the full amount amounts to abuse since the Uk gave us a tax allowance when saving on them.

Like I said, three have warned me off cashing it in recently, and don't forget the 8 percent charge.

I really don't know for sure I have met many who have cashed in though and they seem happy, it is very very tempting.
Do a search (I'm sure you have done this already though) - it is clear that there is NOT a problem cashing in the total amount.

There is no 8% charge that I am aware of - each QROPS supplier levies there own charges and this is where the greatest confusion lies - they all charge different amounts. If I'm wrong, can you please clarify this 8% charge that you mention as my QROPS company is not aware of it.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:19 pm

Do a search (I'm sure you have done this already though) - it is clear that there is NOT a problem cashing in the total amount.

There is no 8% charge that I am aware of - each QROPS supplier levies there own charges and this is where the greatest confusion lies - they all charge different amounts. If I'm wrong, can you please clarify this 8% charge that you mention as my QROPS company is not aware of it.
I'm afraid I can't say if you are wrong or right, I can only tell you what I am told after digging around the advisers.

I was told the companies that will cash in a full fund are usually limited to Australia and it is they who charge about 8 percent it seems and the rules are changing very soon so full refunds will all end very soon, if we are going to do it we must act quickly.

It's not easy getting to the real truth as advisers want your money, and may over look a few truths that you don't think ask about, we need trusted advice.

Wish I knew for sure. Even not cashing the full amount in, you can get better returns with an offshore fund anyway, look at all options that may save you quite a few thousand pounds, and if you find out the "for sure" truth please keep me posted, I am very interested.

Last edited by anonimouse; Sep 9th 2011 at 6:22 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

With respect that is nonsense and I challenge you to provide authoritative evidence to support any part of that statement.

Certain rogue advisers claim that taking 100% is possible, and typically charge 8% (or more) of the pot for their dubious advice, but that does not make it legitimate and if HMRC get wind of it they can tax the whole amount at 55% representing the maximum marginal rate of 40% plus a punitive tax of 15%.

In view of the rise in advisers purporting to be able to legally obtain 100% cash withdrawals from QROPS, commonly via so called 'unlocked NZ Superannuation schemes', HMRC are closely scrutinising the situation and any providers found in breach of both the spirit and qualifying rules for QROPS would likely have their status revoked and clients who have wrongfully benefited targeted for tax.

http://www.blevinsfranks.com/print_news.aspx?p=545

You might also find this thread from a different section an interesting read.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9159002

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Sep 9th 2011 at 7:59 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:20 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

pan para hoy, hambre para maƱana
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
With respect that is nonsense and I challenge you to provide authoritative evidence to support any part of that statement.

Certain rogue advisers claim that taking 100% is possible, and typically charge 8% (or more) of the pot for their dubious advice, but that does not make it legitimate and if HMRC get wind of it they can tax the whole amount at 55% representing the maximum marginal rate of 40% plus a punitive tax of 15%.

In view of the rise in advisers purporting to be able to legally obtain 100% cash withdrawals from QROPS, commonly via so called 'unlocked NZ Superannuation schemes', HMRC are closely scrutinising the situation and any providers found in breach of both the spirit and qualifying rules for QROPS would likely have their status revoked and clients who have wrongfully benefited targeted for tax.

Great advice thanks, I wasn't far off, been in Hospital for 3 weeks my brains gone. Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:25 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

Hmmmm. I did my QROPS via Blevins and through New Zealand. I took 25% as I stated as soon as the fund was released from UK.

I have a contract to release the remaining capital next April.

I have confirmed with HMRC that there will not be a problem with this and no tax implications.

What more can I do?

Yes, the rules in NZ are changing, but for current investors there is no issue with the amended legislation.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:53 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering why we havent heard anything from the OP in this
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Hope it wasn't advertising ex-pat forums are often spammed by sellers of these schemes. Demonstrates how lucrative the commissions are from those high charges!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.