Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Public Holidays, Boss says no??

Public Holidays, Boss says no??

Old Mar 1st 2022, 7:00 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Holidays, Boss says no??

Lost of beating around the bush here and I'm losing patience with the prevarication!

I like our discussion to be on topic and to the point with no digression!

What is the law in the relation to this matter?

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 1st 2022 at 9:18 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 6:34 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monjue
Thanks for your reply.

It's not that I'm against public holidays. but the thread seems to be heading a little off topic. My question was, are national public holidays not applicable in "tourist zones". I'm looking for a clear answer. If its law, then it should be a yes or a no. The consequences of what my boss does or thinks in response to my actions are not a worry to me. Like I've mentioned before, they are not above the law. Sure I could lose my job for exercising my rights, but it will be him who ends up in a worse situation in the end.
It is the ayuntamiento which specifies where tourist zones are, what kind of businesses can open in them, and their opening hours during public holidays. It's usually negotiated between the ayuntamiento, local businesses, and unions.

To be read in conjunction with the convenio which will say if you have to work on public holidays when asked to (as you're in retail you probably will) and if there are any limitations or if you get extra pay or time off for doing so.

If you find something isn't specified in your convenio then refer back to the Estatuto de Trabajadores.

Last edited by DLC; Mar 2nd 2022 at 6:49 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:03 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Have to agree. The OP says in # 8 that his contract stipulates specific working days and hours, from which it should be an easy matter to know in advance whether he'll have to work on a public holiday.
Not really, a pro forma contract usually just states hours per week, then you have to start reading elsewhere (convenio, Estatuto de Trabajadores) to find out days, limitations, public holidays, and so on.

In particular your convenio will state how many hours worked per year and rules regarding public holidays and it is up to the company to come up with a calendario laboral at the beginning of the year which follows those rules.

If there is any clause at the end of the contract, it can't reduce the rights you have in your convenio or in the Estatuto de Trabajadores.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 8:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do have the convenio, i'm currently trying to decode it as we speak. Thank you.
Public holidays apart, does your work contract stipulate that your 18 hours include weekends?
If week days are stipulated, do you work the same days every week? Since the dates of public holidays usually fall on different days every year, how many days per year are we talking about?
Just to clarify....
If you don't find the answer to your original question in the Convenio or Estatuto yourself, consult some one in-the-know on the spot. Your local ayuntamiento? Sindicato rep?
Is there a Spanish equivalent to the French Service-Public site? (which gives a lot of official info on all subjects in France).

Old Mar 2nd 2022, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of shops and bars here stay open on festival days. It'll be in the contract. If you work in the tourist areas, it seems obvious you need to work.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

monjue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorick
If you work in the tourist areas, it seems obvious you need to work.
Please read the original post, before answering in future please.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:01 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Son, you come across as a little bit rude and arrogant, if you don't mind me saying...

Notwithstanding, you can paddle your own canoe from here on, as far as I am concerned!
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Right.... as per your original post:

So my boss told me that Spain's public holidays don't apply in touristic zones and i'm not entitled to those days off.
I live in the Canaries and work in a "tourist zone"

Can anyone confirm this is true please?

No, on one on the forum can confirm whether your boss's interpretation of Spanish law applies or whether indeed this ruling is in Spanish labor laws.

Would suggest you get advise from a labor lawyer if you feel you are being exploited.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Public Holidays, Boss says no??

When did you get put in charge ?
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorick
When did you get put in charge ?
when i started the thread.

Last edited by monjue; Mar 2nd 2022 at 7:33 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Son, you come across as a little bit rude and arrogant, if you don't mind me saying...

Notwithstanding, you can paddle your own canoe from here on, as far as I am concerned!
huh?
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

when i stated the thread.
That doesn't mean you can choose who answers or in what manner I'm afraid. It's a public forum, people are free to comment as they wish (within site rules).

As above, if you want a certain and complete answer, a lawyer is the way to go rather than asking laypeople on the internet.

Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That doesn't mean you can choose who answers or in what manner I'm afraid. It's a public forum, people are free to comment as they wish (within site rules).

As above, if you want a certain and complete answer, a lawyer is the way to go rather than asking laypeople on the internet.

Good luck.
Not to worry.. i was only trying to ask a question. As usual these things end up off topic.
No one needs to reply anymore... please.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:51 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Nobody can give you an answer until you post the relevant sections from your convenio or post a link to It.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DLC
Nobody can give you an answer until you post the relevant sections from your convenio or post a link to It.
I really appreciate your input, but the trolls have arrived and my people need me.

Adios!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.