Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proposed Pension Changes

Proposed Pension Changes

Old May 9th 2013, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proposed Pension Changes

I agree . What is the difference between paying for extra years and having already paid extra years? Also again those off us at say 60 will have 8 or 9 years where not contracted out as it didn't, t come in untill 1978. Maybe our foundation amount will come from. Our total NI, contribution ?
Old May 9th 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I agree . What is the difference between paying for extra years and having already paid extra years? Also again those off us at say 60 will have 8 or 9 years where not contracted out as it didn't, t come in untill 1978. Maybe our foundation amount will come from. Our total NI, contribution ?
Yes it will - they have said that at the point of change, your entitlement will be calculated under the current system and also under the new system. The higher of the 2 amounts will be your foundation amount.

What I have been unable to fathom is any kind of simple way to get a rough idea of how to predict what someone's foundation amount is likely to be...
Old May 9th 2013, 11:01 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Yes it will - they have said that at the point of change, your entitlement will be calculated under the current system and also under the new system. The higher of the 2 amounts will be your foundation amount.

What I have been unable to fathom is any kind of simple way to get a rough idea of how to predict what someone's foundation amount is likely to be...
Which means, I presume, it is very hard to do any pension forecasting or planning for the future.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I should mention this...

While a British couple get £176 per week on a full UK state pension (around £730) a month, my Spanish in-laws get 5,000 euros per month on a full Spanish state pension

Couldnt believe it when they told me. They were complaining that it should be more
Old May 9th 2013, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Unfortunately though, 2 of the years I worked prior to 1978 don't look as though they will count as they were before I was 19 (started work at 17). They seem determined to make me suffer, don't know what I ever did to them!
Old May 9th 2013, 12:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I thought I should mention this...

While a British couple get £176 per week on a full UK state pension (around £730) a month, my Spanish in-laws get 5,000 euros per month on a full Spanish state pension

Couldnt believe it when they told me. They were complaining that it should be more
As you are aware it is by no means the norm. The average in Andalucía seems to be around €500pm according to media reports. Infact many are lucky if they see €1500pm when working
Old May 9th 2013, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
As you are aware it is by no means the norm. The average in Andalucía seems to be around €500pm according to media reports. Infact many are lucky if they see €1500pm when working
No its not the norm, but surprising none-the-less

And just a note that 1500 euros per month is way below the Spanish average household income

Sometimes the less well off Spanish people are referenced when they are just one section of society, just like in the UK
Old May 9th 2013, 1:28 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Unfortunately though, 2 of the years I worked prior to 1978 don't look as though they will count as they were before I was 19 (started work at 17). They seem determined to make me suffer, don't know what I ever did to them!
Not sure why you say this.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/credits.htm

"If you were aged 16 to 18 before 6 April 2010, you were usually credited automatically with National Insurance credits. No new awards will be made from 6 April 2010."
Old May 9th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Blod is an unknown quantity at this point

OH received his state pension in Feb this year, they deducted £41 a week from his as he was "contracted out".

I won't get mine until I'm 62yr 4mths & 12 days (being born between 1950 & 55) I'm told I'm entitled to £110, plus two years additional payment having 32 qualifying years.

They keep moving the goal posts.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blod
OH received his state pension in Feb this year, they deducted £41 a week from his as he was "contracted out".

I won't get mine until I'm 62yr 4mths & 12 days (being born between 1950 & 55) I'm told I'm entitled to £110, plus two years additional payment having 32 qualifying years.

They keep moving the goal posts.
Just to clarify, assuming he had sufficient contributions, then did he receive at least the basic state pension

As I understand it, they calculate the amount of pension earned based on contributions (including Serps, SP2 etc, as though you would receive it), and deduct the GMP (guaranteed minimum pension) that is included in private pension (paid for by the reduced ni contributions). In other words, there isn't a deduction, as you were never entitled to it in the first place, its only the way they show the calculation. Like everything from the government, why do it the easy way, as that means people might understand it.

If you think that's complicated, try understanding how you will get rises on the GMP included in your private pension. Some of will be paid by the employer, and some of it the government in your state pension, depending upon when it was accrued.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

"If you were aged 16 to 18 before 6 April 2010, you were usually credited automatically with National Insurance credits. No new awards will be made from 6 April 2010."
I was thinking back to posts 7 and 8 in this thread, but I am pleased I will not "lose" those 2 years I had paid contributions for, thank you. That being the case I should have at least 8 years not being "contracted out", but still none of us who have spent substantial periods contracted out have a clear idea of what we are going to receive in state pension. I suppose we must wait until the legislation has been passed and the State Pension Calculator revised accordingly. As Steve Webb thinks state pension provisions should be reviewed every 5 years, who knows, there might still be further changes before I am due to receive mine in just over 9 years' time!
Old May 9th 2013, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

Beat me to it
Old May 9th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
In what way are the public sector protected? will they not be treated in the same way if they have been contracted out?

If you think not, do you have any links to support that?
See page 13

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf
Old May 9th 2013, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I don't really understand what that means? I know that Forces Police Fire etc have brought in new pension schemes from around 2005 and that you could move from the old pension scheme to the new one but that was for a limited time. I assume they are saying that you can't do that. By the way when I got the offer of transferring I thought it may help me as a late entrant to Police from forces which means although I served 3 years more than half the 30 year pensionable service I get no where near even half the pension ( but had to pay same 11% of salary). I thought the new one may be better for me as one of the reasons for bringing it in was ageism which affects late entrants into the old system. when I get the comparison letter in the new system they were going to dock me 3 years service! DID I want to to transfer ERRRRRRRRR NO thanks

Last edited by bobd22; May 9th 2013 at 7:52 pm.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe this link may explain what Johnnyone refers to re public sector and Private Sector.
http://www.squiresanders.com/files/P...Newsletter.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.