Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proposed changes in Tax Rules

Proposed changes in Tax Rules

Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:34 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proposed changes in Tax Rules

There was a piece in todays money prog commenting on proposals to tighten up UK tax rules for overseas residents and owners of 1 or more properties.
The aim is to close the various loopholes being exploited by those who keep a UK property as their UK tax residence yet reside overseas.
There are potentially serious IHT and CGT implications.
The suggestion is that claimant will have to prove that they actually live in their UK property for a required number of days each year to be able to claim it as their UK tax residence.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:16 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proposed changes in Tax Rules

Originally Posted by EMR
There was a piece in todays money prog commenting on proposals to tighten up UK tax rules for overseas residents and owners of 1 or more properties.
The aim is to close the various loopholes being exploited by those who keep a UK property as their UK tax residence yet reside overseas.
The suggestion is that claimant will have to prove that they actually live in their UK property for a required number of days each year to be able to claim it as their UK tax residence.
That'll show 'em.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:22 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand. Is this the UK government trying to ensure that people who want to pay tax in the UK are qualified to do so? I would have thought the UK would be quite happy to have them. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
please cite the reference(s) so others can read it rather than have to rely on hearsay
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:00 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

BBC R4 money Prog 12.00 Sat 12th April.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:27 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

That is hearsay
useless without actual references
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:29 am
EMR
Banned

So the BBC money prog is hearsay is it ??????
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:39 am

can just imagine the reception you would receive if you filled in a tax return and said your information was based on a radio programme

Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:51 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040h14p

From around minute 20
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jimenato
thank you, will put that in on my next tax return

Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:55 am
FreeThinker

Incidentally, why was this thread posted straight into PTD, force of habit or are we expecting fireworks?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
can just imagine the reception you would receive if you filled in a tax return and said your information was based on a radio programme

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26998208

EMR, I've noticed you may have problems posting links and using BE to the best of it's ability.

If you need any help with anything, send me a private message, and I will do what I can.

I will send you a PM, which will appear as 'unread' in the top right-hand corner.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:00 am
FreeThinker

I think we might be talking abut two different stories. One is the government's fight against hiding your money offshore and the other is about which of your two homes is your main residence for the purposes of CGT.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I think we might be talking abut two different stories. One is the government's fight against hiding your money offshore and the other is about which of your two homes is your main residence for the purposes of CGT.
OP's message mentions both. I think they are they same story. I didn't listen to your link for the radio programme as my internet speed has fallen off the wall recently and it would take me all day.

Apologies to you if I am wrong.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anybody following this thread may also like to read about the topic on the main Spain forum under the brilliant title "Wot No Comments ?".