Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property In Tenerife

Property In Tenerife

Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

macca1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property In Tenerife

I am interested in buying a property in Tenerife as a second home initially with a view to moving out in a few years.
Looking on the South of the island for a 2 bedroom with a communal pool and could stretch the budget to £95k however with the budget I understand the popular locations are not feasible.

Does anyone know of other locations which would be suitable and 'safe' in Tenerife which I could visit?

Had looked at other islands in the Canaries however the wind factor ruled them out as I coudnt see the point of spending all that money and not be able to sit out in the sunshine throughout Winter months.

Thanks in advance for anyone that gives me some ideas.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property In Tenerife

Originally Posted by macca1978
I am interested in buying a property in Tenerife as a second home initially with a view to moving out in a few years.
Looking on the South of the island for a 2 bedroom with a communal pool and could stretch the budget to £95k however with the budget I understand the popular locations are not feasible.

Does anyone know of other locations which would be suitable and 'safe' in Tenerife which I could visit?

Had looked at other islands in the Canaries however the wind factor ruled them out as I coudnt see the point of spending all that money and not be able to sit out in the sunshine throughout Winter months.

Thanks in advance for anyone that gives me some ideas.
Not in Tenerife but it will again depend how you define wind factor and every location/property will be different. El Médano is well known for wind surfing, so even the South gets wind.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not in Tenerife but it will again depend how you define wind factor and every location/property will be different. El Médano is well known for wind surfing, so even the South gets wind.
Yes thanks - had discounted there as well because of the wind.

The family like lying out in the sun hence going for Tenerife over the other islands.

Not sure if there are other locations on the other islands which almost guarantee sun over the Winter months
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks - had discounted there as well because of the wind.

The family like lying out in the sun hence going for Tenerife over the other islands.

Not sure if there are other locations on the other islands which almost guarantee sun over the Winter months
I'm sure others will be able to help you but with so many micro climates, I wouldn't say one island is sunnier than the other and there's a lot more to consider.
It might be all about the highest amounts of sunshine possible during winter right now, but your views might change if you plan to live on the island full time and other things might be relevant. Anywhere along the Med coast in Spain will get between 2500-3000 hours of sunshine, so I wouldn't rush into buying. Some places are colder and some warmer, but it's the total package that counts if you're spending €120K. If it's all about sun and less wind, maybe places near Almeria are an option.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 6th 2019 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm sure others will be able to help you but with so many micro climates, I wouldn't say one island is sunnier than the other and there's a lot more to consider.
It might be all about the highest amounts of sunshine possible during winter right now, but your views might change if you plan to live on the island full time and other things might be relevant. Anywhere along the Med coast in Spain will get between 2500-3000 hours of sunshine, so I wouldn't rush into buying. Some places are colder and some warmer, but it's the total package that counts if you're spending €120K. If it's all about sun and less wind, maybe places near Almeria are an option.
Thanks Moses - I had discounted mainland Spain due to weather/heat in the winter.
Almeria weather is December seems to be 10-15c which would be too cold to (for example) lie out which the family enjoy doing
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Moses - I had discounted mainland Spain due to weather/heat in the winter.
Almeria weather is December seems to be 10-15c which would be too cold to (for example) lie out which the family enjoy doing
Well I certainly wouldn't rule it out and there are many areas around Malaga or Alicante that offer decent temps during winter. The averages are also misleading, as some places might get colder at night but it's just as sunny or warm during the day when the sun is shining + less wind. At the end of the day a few hours more sun is worth nothing if the property is in an undesirable area or the actual location is not great.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 5:46 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

The south of Gran Canaria is reportedly the sunniest location in the archipelago.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently in Tenerife at the moment with a view to buying next year. I live on the mainland near Marbella and over the recent years it has got much cooler there than here where in the south it is warm Spring weather all year. The prices are much higher in popular places like Los Cristianos Adeje and Fanabe but some of the villages like Las Galletas and Los Abrigos are cheaper. Even there your budget will not go far. Prices are over 2000 euros a square meter which means you are in the small studio bracket. You really need to come here and have a look. Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
We are currently in Tenerife at the moment with a view to buying next year. I live on the mainland near Marbella and over the recent years it has got much cooler there than here where in the south it is warm Spring weather all year. The prices are much higher in popular places like Los Cristianos Adeje and Fanabe but some of the villages like Las Galletas and Los Abrigos are cheaper. Even there your budget will not go far. Prices are over 2000 euros a square meter which means you are in the small studio bracket. You really need to come here and have a look. Good luck.
Then again it might be better to stay away from the centre of the more popular places like Los Cristianos etc. especially if one plans to live there full time. Once you've been to the same beach every day, it will kind of wear off and the crowds will annoy you. You then might be thankful for a few more days rain during winter, but in return have a nicer property and a bit more outside space you can enjoy the whole year. And on the few days it does rain during winter, just drive down to Los Cristianos. The island is so small anyway, so no place is really far.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone that replied.
We have decided to increase our budget to £115k and will use it as a holiday home for the time being.

The popular resorts are out as 2 bedrooms simply isnt feasible on the budget.

Looked at Green Park but it doesnt seem safe (or nice for that matter).

Still on the hunt so if anyone can throw any other ideas out it would be appreciated.

Also - are there any forums that have ex pats actually selling up - cant find anything at first glance online.

Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2019, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

We have been looking and there is hardly anything in that price range in the Los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas area. We have seen very small apartments for 140,000€ but not really suitable. Basically, unless you have over 200,000 to spend then the choice is very limited. You need to look in other areas. The other thing we have found is that unless you have the money available then agents are not interested. Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 7:24 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

You could try the Facebook forums for Tenerife.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

If all you want at the moment in the short term, then why not just rent ? Owning a place just for holidays, may sound good, but what about all the months it will remain empty ? Rather than jumping in and buying and then perhaps regretting it later, renting would give you the freedom to try it out and move on if you find it isnt want you wanted?
Old Nov 27th 2019, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to everyone that replied.
We have decided to increase our budget to £115k and will use it as a holiday home for the time being.

The popular resorts are out as 2 bedrooms simply isnt feasible on the budget.

Looked at Green Park but it doesnt seem safe (or nice for that matter).

Still on the hunt so if anyone can throw any other ideas out it would be appreciated.

Also - are there any forums that have ex pats actually selling up - cant find anything at first glance online.

Thanks
Seems like a lot of money just for a holiday apartment. If you include taxes that's €150.000 and you could get a brand new house for that sort of money elsewhere. At the moment you are focused on maximum amounts of sunshine and where you feel it will be hottest during winter, but you should explore different places at different times of the year.