Reload this Page >

Property purchase

Property purchase

Old Jan 21st 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

WinnJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property purchase

Dear All

I was just wondering if you can give me some advice...

Having decided on a property in Vista Esuri and negotiating an agreeable price, I have been researching the purchase process.

As far as I can see, I must pay:

sale price
transfer tax (itp)
complementaria
notary & registry fees
solicitor fees

Following the purchase, I will need to make the following regular payments:

local property tax (approx 300 per year)
community fee (approx 80 per month)
utility charges (water* / electricity / gas) (*are the apartments on water meters?)
rubbish collection fee

I have found what seems to be a good English speaking Spanish solicitor (Raquel Perez from Perez Legal Group) who has assured me that by giving power of attorney to her firm, much can be accomplished without me having to go to Spain (acquisition of NIE number and opening of Spanish bank account). Also, I will be able to transfer funds from my bank to the legal firm's certified escrow account which then allows payments to be made on my behalf.

As regards transferring of money, is it advisable to use a currency exchange firm (such as Smart Currency Exchange) or stick to using my bank, which would incur a set fee of £9.50 to transfer any amount up to 100,000 Euros?

One last question, is air conditioning an absolute necessity? If so, I would appreciate an idea of costs and recommendations of any local installation firms. The apartment is described as having pre-installation for air conditioning.

I would be grateful for any advice, or any corrections if my information is inaccurate.

Thanks
Jon
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property purchase

Jon, You appear to be pretty much correct in your assumptions re cost. The rubbish (Basura) charges are included in the water bills from ghiasa. There is a water meter for our apt but I am not on Vista esuri. I find the water consumption charge makes a very small part of the bi monthly bill, most of the charge is due to standing charges based on the official assessed value of the property, which has no relatio to the price you might be paying. Hence there is little you can do to affect the size of the bill.
Regarding the purchase process I did exactly as you are thinking giving my Spanish solicitor power of attorney. You will need to get this done by a Commissioner of Oaths if done from uk, who will seal it and forward to Spain. I used Ana Vilamar at AA solicitors on the quayside by the ferry to portugal. Excellent Service.
I would advocate the use of a currency exch company to get the best rate, but ensure they are licenced and covered by the bank guarantee scheme FSA in order that they do not abscond with your cash or go bankrupt.
Regarding the aircon you could get away without it most of the year, but in June, july and August the peak temp can exceed 40 degs for several consecutive days only falling to say 28 after dark, so you will ENJOY some relief from the heat. ALSO right now it can get quite cool after dark and can often drop below 10 degs outside and very damp. We run the aircon to heat the flat which is VERY EFFICIENT to run. Otherwise you will need fan heaters or oil filled rads or similar. Do not get a bottle gas heater as they make the property damp with condensation.
No doubt others will reply to you as well, but I hope this helps.

KeithBT.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Keith - that's extremely helpful.
Jon
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WinnJK
Thanks Keith - that's extremely helpful.
Jon
Hi Jon, just a quick note re aircon. We have an apartment on Marina Esuri and have been living there permanently for the last 8 years. We have air con which we use for heating in the Winter but we find ceiling fans a better option in the Summer as they are a lot cheaper and you can leave then running all night. One thing I would add, if you decide to have ceiling fans fitted don't be put off by people saying you can't have them in those apartments. It's total rubbish, you just need someone who knows what they are doing to put them up. Regards Bryony
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks bryony
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bryony, we have ceiling fans in our apartment. Whether you need aircon depends a lot on the orientation of your apartment. We can open the patio doors and the kitchen door at the back and get a nice gentle breeze which keeps the place just right. But we do need the aircon for heating in the winter months - supplemented by a fan heater sometimes
As to banking, you would probably be best served by getting an NIE and opening a Spanish bank account for payment of regular bills etc, you won't have any access to the solicitor's escrow account. You can theoretically under the new EU regulations set up direct debits and other payments through your UK bank. I don't know if anyone on here has done that but it sounds a bit costly and complicated you me at the moment. Being in control of when you top up your account and at what exchange rate is important to me.

BTW, we get a separate bill (about €40) for basuras. Keith obviously has a slightly different arrangement.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:43 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon

Welcome to CE! And thanks for the pm.

Ceiling fans. I agree with Bryony no problem, but the key point is to get someone GOOD to mount them PROPERLY. We haven't had the best experiences with general handymen around CE. Either DIY or ask for recommendations of a reputable handy-person. Dont listen to anyone saying that 'anybody' can do it. Thats 'rubbish!' You dont want a fan falling on your head or private bits 😵

AC We also have AC in our duplex set up as 2 systems one for the bedroom and another for downstairs. We didn't want a single unit for the whole flat, and the vents don't have a simple lever to close off a room, you have to remove the whole unit to close it off - hassle. Our place is rarely full, so a dedicated unit for the bedroom is perfect for us and cheaper on running costs. It was a big ticket item, but we personally feel our mosquito screens were a better big-ticket buy... So that would be our priority if we did it again... Most summer evenings we sleep with the upstairs doors open its cooling and mozzie free. Pm me if you want a good supplier we have German made ones which are high quality and there is also Josade in town that many have used and recommend.

Payments. Google SEPA and you will see that EU countries SHOULD have a free of charges method of paying bills. I use this a LOT. And many countries send bills in SEPA format with the IBAN and BIC on the bill. I'll close my Spanish accounts as soon as Spain start this ... As I don't like the way people can access your accounts in Spain - and I personally feel that my money is more secure in Belgium. I'm in the eurozone so its easier, I don't know how it works in the UK.

You'll have a LOT of fun in CE, Spain & Portugal... So I hope you close the deal OK.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 22nd 2016 at 8:46 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the helpful responses!
Jon
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Jon Welcome to CE! And thanks for the pm. Ceiling fans. I agree with Bryony no problem, but the key point is to get someone GOOD to mount them PROPERLY. We haven't had the best experiences with general handymen around CE. Either DIY or ask for recommendations of a reputable handy-person. Dont listen to anyone saying that 'anybody' can do it. Thats 'rubbish!' You dont want a fan falling on your head or private bits � ���� AC We also have AC in our duplex set up as 2 systems one for the bedroom and another for downstairs. We didn't want a single unit for the whole flat, and the vents don't have a simple lever to close off a room, you have to remove the whole unit to close it off - hassle. Our place is rarely full, so a dedicated unit for the bedroom is perfect for us and cheaper on running costs. It was a big ticket item, but we personally feel our mosquito screens were a better big-ticket buy... So that would be our priority if we did it again... Most summer evenings we sleep with the upstairs doors open its cooling and mozzie free. Pm me if you want a good supplier we have German made ones which are high quality and there is also Josade in town that many have used and recommend. Payments. Google SEPA and you will see that EU countries SHOULD have a free of charges method of paying bills. I use this a LOT. And many countries send bills in SEPA format with the IBAN and BIC on the bill. I'll close my Spanish accounts as soon as Spain start this ... As I don't like the way people can access your accounts in Spain - and I personally feel that my money is more secure in Belgium. I'm in the eurozone so its easier, I don't know how it works in the UK. You'll have a LOT of fun in CE, Spain & Portugal... So I hope you close the deal OK. Jon
Winnjk If your looking to fit mossy nets and don't want to lose your money steer well clear of JOSADE.. This is good advise from Esuri's longest resident.

Last edited by BILL AND CLAIRE; Jan 22nd 2016 at 8:22 pm.