Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property in Mallorca

Property in Mallorca

Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

trigon2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property in Mallorca

Hi All, This is my first post on this forum. Although I'm not strictly an Expat...I hope to be one day.
We are currently selling our house in France and aim to buy in Mallorca. We have had a few house hunting trips and have seen a few places we like. We are not interested in a resort area or place full of Expats but a normal Spanish town although close to the beach would be nice!!
Our favourite town so far is the unpretentious town of Sa Pobla in the Nth East of the island. Does anyone have a house there or know the town well? I would like some honest opinions on the town and the surrounding area.
Thank you for you help in advance.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 3:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property in Mallorca

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:18 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for your preferred area, but having friends who lived in Soller, I've spent a bit of time there. Which would be where I would choose to live and raise a family if my husband and I could find suitable work and him a visa.

From a visitors view it seems that the locals live their lives the same way year round regardless of the tourist influx - but enjoy the economic benefits that the tourists bring.

My friend (1/2 mallorcian) chose local schools for her daughter who was born in the UK, (not the British or American schools) and her son was born in mallorcia. so they are all tri-lingual.

Sadly, with the economic status, my friends moved back to the UK a few weeks ago, which was the only way they could survive financially and stay together.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:17 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trigon2013
Hi All, This is my first post on this forum. Although I'm not strictly an Expat...I hope to be one day.
We are currently selling our house in France and aim to buy in Mallorca. We have had a few house hunting trips and have seen a few places we like. We are not interested in a resort area or place full of Expats but a normal Spanish town although close to the beach would be nice!!
Our favourite town so far is the unpretentious town of Sa Pobla in the Nth East of the island. Does anyone have a house there or know the town well? I would like some honest opinions on the town and the surrounding area.
Thank you for you help in advance.
Sa Pobla is a very traditional Mallorquin town. It's very nice. Sleepy, but nice. Not far from the extraordinary beaches in the north, and on the train line to Palma, too, which can save you a lot of money if you feel like doing some great dining, shopping or attending the many festivals.

Funny, some friends of ours have just moved from Mallorca to France. They are amongst the many who have just gone "fed up" with some of the nonsense that residents have to put up with, such as the increasing incidents of both local and national governments going to exceptional lengths to collect as much money as possible wherever they can get it, for any reason they can dream up.

Whatever you do, be sure you have all the t's crossed and the i's dotted. Don't believe anything an agent or anyone else tells you. Get good legal advice in the matter from an experienced solicitor. Make sure you have free access to water and electricity, and if you are planning to build or renovate, make absolutely sure that the ajuntamento will grant you the right to do so, or else you can find yourself in a very expensive world of hurt (seriously, just painting can constitute a violation of local statutes in some cases).

Also, become active in the community, and find out who you need to make friends with. It can be very important later on when the Ajuntamento randomly decides to levy a few 10's of thousands in fines against you because you in their view didn't do something exactly right. Chances are, if you are active in the community and have the right "friends", nothing like that will ever even reach daylight.

Otherwise, I feel you've made a good choice in choosing the Sa Pobla area. Property will sell for much lower than say, the southwest (which isn't nearly as desirable as many would claim anyway), yet you still have proximity to all the good things that Mallorca has to offer. You'll get a lot more for your money there, and probably be a lot happier!

Good luck!

Ami
Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:46 am
Just Joined

trigon2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that reply...something positive at last! I have had a few people say think twice about that town, its very Mallorcan? like thats a bad thing..you are in Mallorca after all!!
we are looking at town houses so hopefully water etc should be a problem. I agree with everything you say about Trains, beaches and everyday things that are all available in Sa Pobla.

thanks again