Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property Insurance

Property Insurance

Old Jun 29th 2022, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Golfer2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Insurance

Thanks for the link. We are flying to Malaga tomorrow to complete the purchase and if course to quickly arrange property insurance!
Old Jun 29th 2022, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golfer2020
Thanks for the link. We are flying to Malaga tomorrow to complete the purchase and if course to quickly arrange property insurance!
Not too sure you will ba able to arrange insurance until the details of the sale have been updated and you are confirmed as the registered owner.

I tried to take out buildings and content on the flat in 2019 the day after we signed and was told until the previous owner had cancelled it wasn't possible to start a policy

Things are different here and I had the same with the car. The insurance policy is lodged with Traffico and the insurance company couldn't cover me until that policy was cancelled.
I'm having the same issue now because I want to change companies....
Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Not too sure you will ba able to arrange insurance until the details of the sale have been updated and you are confirmed as the registered owner.

I tried to take out buildings and content on the flat in 2019 the day after we signed and was told until the previous owner had cancelled it wasn't possible to start a policy

Things are different here and I had the same with the car. The insurance policy is lodged with Traffico and the insurance company couldn't cover me until that policy was cancelled.
I'm having the same issue now because I want to change companies....
Ive just taken a policy starting the day that we go to the notary next month. No issues. If you couldn’t do that surely you would risk a period of time with a property being uninsured ? Slightly different for a car because just don’t drive it until the insurance is valid.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:09 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

We just arrange for the new car/flat insurance to start when the old one stops.... it's easier that way.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
We just arrange for the new car/flat insurance to start when the old one stops.... it's easier that way.
Thats fine if you know and have control of the situation. If you are buying somewhere the policy could overlap and still technically be in force on the day you purchase, so you could end being the owner but not the policy holder if you don’t take your own insurance from the day you sign and pay.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, I am meeting the solicitor tomorrow and asked if she could obtain a copy of the current policy from the seller.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
Thats fine if you know and have control of the situation. If you are buying somewhere the policy could overlap and still technically be in force on the day you purchase, so you could end being the owner but not the policy holder if you don’t take your own insurance from the day you sign and pay.
The last car I purchased the insurance company allowed me to continue with the previous owners policy as it only had a month to run.
They couldnt be bothered to cancel it with Traffico so they left it with me as the driver.
Its not legal to double insure a vehicle here without removing the policy from Traffico's database no matter what you might be told, the older policy will always be the effective one.

Basically I was driving around with insurance I hadn't taken out nor paid for.
I renewed with them but have since found a better company who will cover the car fully comp and I had to write to them to get them to cancel the existing policy before the new one could take effect.

And thats another thing about here, cars over 20 years old cannot usually be insured fully comp, they downgrade them to 3rd party (and sometimes without fire or theft either).
Not good in my case having just paid €18,000 for a 34 year old car and not having it covered.

Most of the big insurers here don't care about classics. I ended up getting insured via Zurich Insurance as Liberty, Linea Direct etc said not possible.

Anyway, the Op wanted Home insurance.

Liberty (go through any major supplier or office, they are all the same) or Linda Direct (phone them its all in English anyway) or visit the website and they phone you.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

You are right, it's home insurance now! However, I will probably drive a car down from Berlin when it's cooler to keep here as run about. So good tips. Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

When I bought my present property in 2017, my lawyer arranged for me to take over the existing house insurance policy from the vendor, so it was a seamless changeover. The company sent the new contract to my lawyer for me to sign and the premiums are paid six-monthly. I have kept the policy on as the price is competitive compared with what I paid for cover on my old house and the annual increases over the last 5 years have been reasonable.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are right, it's home insurance now! However, I will probably drive a car down from Berlin when it's cooler to keep here as run about. So good tips. Thanks
Be careful with a non Spanish plated car.
Residents cannot drive a non Spanish plated car they own except to home and then they must reregister them.
Read this.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/spa...ting-a-vehicle

You haven't said what driving licence you have but there has still not been an agreement between the Uk and Spain re a licence exchange system. So if you have a Uk one there may (or not) be a requirement for a test to get the Spanish licence.
If you have a licence from an EU country then you can swap this.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that post. I decided not too apply for a second passport but have German residency document and Germany driving license. This status though does have it's limitations within the EU for a Brit expat.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Barriej

Anyway, the Op wanted Home insurance.

Yes my post was about Home Insurance
Old Jul 19th 2022, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Just to feedback that I now have a buildings and contents policy with Liberty Seguros via Harris Insurance, located in Estepona. So, thanks again for all the useful info.
BTW, I can recommend Harris Insurance, really helpful.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to feedback that I now have a buildings and contents policy with Liberty Seguros via Harris Insurance, located in Estepona. So, thanks again for all the useful info.
BTW, I can recommend Harris Insurance, really helpful.
thanks for the feedback …. Always good to know!
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

When we signed for our mortgage we had to get an insurance policy through the bank at the same time.

Perhaps golfer doesn't need a mortgage ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.