Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Processional caterpillars

Processional caterpillars

Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Processional caterpillars

Those of you who are planning to move over to Spain with pets beware of the processional caterpillars HERE We have seen quite a lot of them whilst out walking recently and they are dangerous to people and pets. A neighbour had to have his dog put to sleep after some got into it's mouth and ate it's tongue. Nothing could be done to save the poor thing.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processional caterpillars

Originally Posted by Lionda
Those of you who are planning to move over to Spain with pets beware of the processional caterpillars HERE We have seen quite a lot of them whilst out walking recently and they are dangerous to people and pets. A neighbour had to have his dog put to sleep after some got into it's mouth and ate it's tongue. Nothing could be done to save the poor thing.
There is a bit about them in the free beer thread.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:42 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Blimey know what you mean. I had a week in Barxeta 2 weeks ago and because the house is near loads of pine trees we were inundated with them. I would go over to my car in our grounds and there would be a 6foot line of them so out would come the petrol and i would have to set them alight then before I was finished there would be another lot. I have never seen so many of the nests as i have done this year, I heard it was because of the mild winter. Once i set light to them I would get them on my spade and chuck them over the fence. I actually came up in an awful rash that was all up my neck and arms and I think it was because of the hairs of the blinkin things get airborne.... mmm, think thats the reason
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

We keep a muzzle on our dog when walking him, as we know so many people whose dogs have died due to this problem.

And yes, burning them will certainly release the hairs into the air. The best way to get rid of them is to spray with hairspray first (yes, really) this stops most of the hairs being released into the air.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:37 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

In many municipalities there is a legal obligation to spray any pine trees within your grounds annually to stop this nasty pest (thaumetopoea pityocampa). By the way they didn't eat the dog's tongue, it's the other way around, the dog ate them and unfortunately for it they are covered in hairs which contain a powerful antigen which provokes a severe allergic response in many animals as well as in humans.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:18 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Professional Caterpillars?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Professional Caterpillars?
They do what it says on the can
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:45 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokeh
In many municipalities there is a legal obligation to spray any pine trees within your grounds annually to stop this nasty pest (thaumetopoea pityocampa). By the way they didn't eat the dog's tongue, it's the other way around, the dog ate them and unfortunately for it they are covered in hairs which contain a powerful antigen which provokes a severe allergic response in many animals as well as in humans.

Horrid way to die, the dogs mouth went black and he couldn't even take any water. The vet couldn't save him Sweet little thing he was, such a happy little soul

Be extra vigilant everyone with pets.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

sunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nice

Yes we were out walking in the campo around ayamonte on sunday and saw these caterpillars. Our friend quickly explained not to touch them as her brother in law had a bad reaction from them the previous week. All his face swelled up like a horror story!!

Sue
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:26 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how long they are around for, a week, month etc?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Yes thank you, I do.

Read my link in the free beer thread.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:02 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes thank you, I do.

Read my link in the free beer thread.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:22 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Same Difference
February and March are the main months when they start to travel.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
February and March are the main months when they start to travel.
And they look really horrible close up... When I first saw a line a couple of metres long marching down a wall and across the pavement in front of me I had no intention of going anywhere near them. Too busy running away screaming...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
And they look really horrible close up
They sure do - this was taken a week ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.