Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Processional Caterpillars

Processional Caterpillars

Old May 25th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light
Default Processional Caterpillars

I am a bit worried about these little monsters apparently if you see them you have to pour petrol on them and set them on fire as they are very dangerous to humans and especially animals and they live in hanging pine trees so I am told.
Anyone got any other info about them.
Old May 25th 2007, 10:30 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Processional Caterpillars

I've heard about these too. Apparently they are very dangerous to dogs as they shoot little spines out which get infected and can kill them.
I've been told if you have them they are in pine trees, they look like balls of cotton wool, you have to put a paper bag round them, pull them out of the tree then set light to the bag!
Old May 25th 2007, 11:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
I've heard about these too. Apparently they are very dangerous to dogs as they shoot little spines out which get infected and can kill them.
I've been told if you have them they are in pine trees, they look like balls of cotton wool, you have to put a paper bag round them, pull them out of the tree then set light to the bag!
I've lived here 3.5 years & have yet to see one.....however a friend of mine was cleaning out a garage & found some....she must have touched something they had been on...ended up covered in a very itchy rash all over her upper body
Old May 25th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

They are usually around from Jan to March, and this year was particularly bad, I heard of at least 3 dogs which lost part of their tongues one of which was only a tiny puppy and lost part of the lips and it also affected the pads of the feet, if a dog licks or sniffs at them then they attack the tongue and quite often the dog can go into shock and die. If you see them then spray them with hairspray which will stop the hairs flying out before you do anything with them. Lots of children had very bad rashes when they were playing in the parks. The councils can spray the pine trees but dont want to because the birds get affected. They seem to be in the umbrella pines and those spindly straggly looking pines. We could only safely take our dogs to the beach during that period as they were in the pine trees near us.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:50 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Info on them at this link
http://www.pureportugal.info/flora_f...l#caterpillars
Old May 25th 2007, 1:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Two more links,,,,,, guess where
Old May 25th 2007, 2:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Errrrrrr ......
Old May 25th 2007, 4:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Free

perhaps?
Old May 25th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

janet57 is an unknown quantity at this point

friends of ours who live near peniscola lost their dog 3 months ago to these caterpillers.the vet tried to save him but his hair fell out ,then he developed sores all over his body and lost half his body weight he was a big dog too.however he died a month of being affected.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:59 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Now I'M panicking!! The house we're buying has a lot of pine trees and I've got 2 dogs!!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light

Chop the blighters down if they are hanging pines thats what the previous owners of the property we bought did and there has'nt been any since.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:30 pm
Fed up in England!!

I understood its illegal to cut down pine trees?
Old May 25th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

If they are on yr own land I dont think it is but not sure ours were growing on our plot inside our front gates and we are on the mountain so no one ever comes up there, thankfully
Old May 25th 2007, 7:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs
If they are on yr own land I dont think it is but not sure ours were growing on our plot inside our front gates and we are on the mountain so no one ever comes up there, thankfully
Keep your eye on the sky, for police helicoptors and planes. ;-)
Old May 25th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

ooooh yes please will they have uniforms on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.