Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Process for getting electricity

Process for getting electricity

Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future
Default Process for getting electricity

Does anyone know the Iberdrola process?

After many months Persuading Iberdrola to open a new application for a supply in the campo (due to the original applicant - the builder- going missing) I have finally recieved from them confirmation of them opening an "expedient" in my name and address. They have supplied the file number.

My neighbours have electricity and there are pylons close by in at least 2 directions. Although I know this does not signify available capacity.

I have asked Iberdrola since then to detail the process and length of time it will take but they just reply every time by telling me they require my NIE, address, phone number, power and tension.

I have done this 3 times now but really would like to know what happens next at each stage and how long it is likely to take.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process for getting electricity

Originally Posted by campolife
Does anyone know the Iberdrola process?

After many months Persuading Iberdrola to open a new application for a supply in the campo (due to the original applicant - the builder- going missing) I have finally recieved from them confirmation of them opening an "expedient" in my name and address. They have supplied the file number.

My neighbours have electricity and there are pylons close by in at least 2 directions. Although I know this does not signify available capacity.

I have asked Iberdrola since then to detail the process and length of time it will take but they just reply every time by telling me they require my NIE, address, phone number, power and tension.

I have done this 3 times now but really would like to know what happens next at each stage and how long it is likely to take.

Any ideas?
Firstly there are some fundamentals.

1) You must have a bolletin - a certificate to show that the wiring in the property is 'up-to-spec'. This must be quite recent but I'm not sure of the dates.

2) You must have the 'fuse panel' in place.

3) You must have the necessary tubing in place from the meter box to your 'fuse panel'.

3) You are responsible for providing the channel and tubing to cary the cable from the pylon to your meter cupboard. This can mean digging up neighbours gardens so you need to have organised this with their permission. If the cable is to go overhead, then there are a whole different set of regs.

Finally, be prepared to wait a couple of years. I have a friend who got his application in two years ago and is still being told that he is 'on the list'.

GOOD LUCK!

PS - on the upside, I reformed a property recently and got the meter very quickly but then this was in a townhouse where the other flats already had power.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Thanks
I am in the UK so cannot just take a look, but, I'm sure there is no meter box insitu. There is a cable which appears from the concrete plinth surrounding the house and on the inside of this wall the fuse box with mcbs just awaiting the main fuse.

Due to problems I mentioned in previous posts I have not yet got the cert of completion, electrical cert, or first occupancy cert.

Just searched on google and the Iberdrola site indicates a maximum of 150 days provided no problems but is not clear regarding stages. For instance I have a file number now but have never filled out an application form.

Needed to know what they do next. Do they send someone to inspect or can they tell from their records what it would require and therefore costs etc.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Without a licence of first occupation they are not allowed to supply electricity on a permanent contact - only a temporary builders supply.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

understood Fred

We are trying to get the original Architect to visit to issue the completion cert. Then the installing electrician for his cert

Then if what I have been told is correct I have to hand bundles of cash over for the first occupation cert and registering of the house onto the deeds.

Have paid for all this once so not a happy bunny.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

understood Fred

We are trying to get the original Architect to visit to issue the completion cert. Then the installing electrician for his cert

Then if what I have been told is correct I have to hand bundles of cash over for the first occupation cert and registering of the house onto the deeds.

Have paid for all this once so not a happy bunny.
As I understand it, to get the Cedula (habitation licence), you actually need the bolletin (electrical certificate) first (I certainly did anyway).

Steps;

1) Bolletin and 'final de obras' from the architect
2) Cedula - you will also need a 'cadestral declaration'
3) Electrical supply
4) Meter

... and then water ... this will also need a bolletin if you haven't already got a supply.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yes sorry snikpoh I meant the electrician who wired the house rather than the supply company electricians.

The water is another issue. We did have a meter but this has been taken away and am told the system is above capacity (rural water company - mountain water) so we cannot have it back.

When a meter comes available (rarely) they put everyone who has applied into a hat.

Which bodes another question. How much to build a water deposit?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Which bodes another question. How much to build a water deposit?
How big?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

I'm guessing at 20000 litres
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:29 am

If you are on a meter that implies that you have a constant supply.

If so, a deposito would, presumably, have to provide a backup in case the supply went off. In which case a smaller one may be OK. A friend recently has a large plastic tank installed with a pump for just this situation.

I'm not sure of the cost but it certainly wasn't exorbitant.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

soontobeingalicia is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently in the process of getting my place connected, all going well so far went to the local electrical store which also doubles as the fenosa local office and put a request in for power. Within 2 days they had visited site only to tell me that i could not use the existing poll local to the house. They said I would need to pay for a new poll which they could provide. So far no quote but my electrictian called on my behalf and managed to get a quote over the phone of 1700 euros (much cheaper than i was expecting) and I am due written confirmation next week. What I have not been told is how long it will take for the poll to be installed. In the mean time I havew dug the trench and installed the cables and meter to the proposed poll location.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by soontobeingalicia
In the mean time I havew dug the trench and installed the cables and meter to the proposed poll location.
Make sure you do it to the latest specifications. When I did it it meant inspection covers every 30 metres and it must be at the right depth and using the correct conduit. If it is anywhere in the public road there must be two identical conduits as one is a spare so that if there is a problem they won't have to dig up the road.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Fred
Yes there is a supply of water onto my land and piped to the house but because it is a rural supply and wasn't being used for 2 years the company came and took the meter away and sealed the supply.

Have found out since that the builder paid 3000€ for this supply but this did not seem to stop them.

Soon
My house is very rural. When you say poll do you mean "pole"? If you do then it is more complicated for me as it involves possibly pylons and neighbour permissions.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

after living in our village for over a year(moved there from the coast,so not new to spain), we moved back to the uk for a year. i left plenty of money in my bank account to pay for the electricity and ibi/urbana/galasa bills.
my wife came back a month before me to find the water off,the meter gone,and the pipe capped by galasa. the electricity was cut off too. she returned in march,galasa had taken out money the same month!!
sevilla endessa had taken their lot out in march too so there was no excuse for the cut-offs. she contacted both agencies but couldn't get an answer as to why the supplies were cut off,shrugs,don't know senorita etc.
when i came out a month later i found out that to get another water meter meant we had to have new sewage pipes put in(the only house on the calle that had to have this work done!!),to get a new electric supply we needed a new board outside and a new fuse panel inside. also needed a bolletin for the electric.again,no-one else on calle had this work done.
upshot of it all was we had new sewage pipes put in(calle outside had to be dug up),got new panel and new fuse box plus bolletin put in.of course all this cost money and plenty of it,but to date i still don't know why the water and electric supply was cut off. my neighbours(spanish)only come once every two years and they never seem to have any problems with supply. mind you,i found out that if you have any problems with water or electric,it gives the companies the excuse to tell you that you need new this and new that and i see new panels blooming all over the village bit by bit. bet they didn't have to pay the full price though.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Well I now have an update...... but what does it mean?

I received an email from Iberdrola saying.

La carta de condiciones técnico-económicas.......ya ha sido enviada al titular.
Roughly translates to
The letter of technical-economic conditions ....... already sent to the holder.

I have told them the "power and tension" required and they have given me the "expediente" number.

Maybe there is a charge for just applying!