Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Problems finding a long term rental

Problems finding a long term rental

Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems finding a long term rental

We arrived in Torremolinos a week ago and are booked into an Airbnb for 2 weeks. Next week we go to Benalmadena and stay there for a month. We are finding it very difficult to get a long term rental probably for two main reasons.
1. Having looked at the portals such as fotocasa, we find outdated ads, no replies ( even if enquiry is in Spanish ) and just a general lack of up to date information. There's also confusion about the need for a 2 month deposit plus agency fees when the agent is also being paid by the landlord. I know this happens in England but was led to believe it wasn't the case here.When there are rentals, many need you out in July and August for obvious reasons.
2. More misinformation prior to departure. Nobody said there was a problem with needing to provide proof that you had 2 to 3 times the monthly rental in terms of income ( I'm not talking about info from this site). Our income is limited until September when I get my State Pension.

So, we are struggling to know what to do for the best. We can find holiday stuff until June that gives us more or less similar costings to long term but that won't help with making a residency application and the costs are sky high July/August.

As I said, things ease for us in September, no problems meeting the income multiple for rent, health care covered by S1 and maybe we look a more attractive proposition.
Both my wife ( Argentinian) can teach English, so I suppose I have the option of going autonomo for a period and paying the reduced health contribution but I hear that some officials don't look too kindly on this and I don't want to pay 12 months' cover when my S1 kicks in from September.

One gestor suggested just winging it until September, using the EHIC cards for 90 days and then crossing everything for the next 3 months. Not too sure about this and in any event I suppose it may actually affect the residency application when it does actually get made.

I used to be able to explain things quite easily but I find this stuff mind boggling. If anyone is still with it, I'd be pleased to hear some thoughts!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems finding a long term rental

Originally Posted by jimbob66
We arrived in Torremolinos a week ago and are booked into an Airbnb for 2 weeks. Next week we go to Benalmadena and stay there for a month. We are finding it very difficult to get a long term rental probably for two main reasons.
1. Having looked at the portals such as fotocasa, we find outdated ads, no replies ( even if enquiry is in Spanish ) and just a general lack of up to date information. There's also confusion about the need for a 2 month deposit plus agency fees when the agent is also being paid by the landlord. I know this happens in England but was led to believe it wasn't the case here.When there are rentals, many need you out in July and August for obvious reasons.
2. More misinformation prior to departure. Nobody said there was a problem with needing to provide proof that you had 2 to 3 times the monthly rental in terms of income ( I'm not talking about info from this site). Our income is limited until September when I get my State Pension.

So, we are struggling to know what to do for the best. We can find holiday stuff until June that gives us more or less similar costings to long term but that won't help with making a residency application and the costs are sky high July/August.

As I said, things ease for us in September, no problems meeting the income multiple for rent, health care covered by S1 and maybe we look a more attractive proposition.
Both my wife ( Argentinian) can teach English, so I suppose I have the option of going autonomo for a period and paying the reduced health contribution but I hear that some officials don't look too kindly on this and I don't want to pay 12 months' cover when my S1 kicks in from September.

One gestor suggested just winging it until September, using the EHIC cards for 90 days and then crossing everything for the next 3 months. Not too sure about this and in any event I suppose it may actually affect the residency application when it does actually get made.

I used to be able to explain things quite easily but I find this stuff mind boggling. If anyone is still with it, I'd be pleased to hear some thoughts!
Hi, It is often difficult to find long term rentals at this time of year as landlords can get far more income weekly renting to holidaymakers. Late September is the best time to start looking for long term rentals. You will find a lot of agencies will require a months deposit, 1 months rent and equivalent to a month rent as a finders fee.

It will be far easier and cheaper to rent somewhere inland rather than on the coast. I've never heard about "having to have 3 times the amount of rent as income" before.

You might as well forget the websites advertising apartments etc for rental as most are well out of date. You will need to go out on foot in the area you would like to live and visit all the agents in that area. There are long term rentals available but you often have to be there before they are taken.

Best of luck

Steve.