Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Problems at Faro Airport for Brits Resident in Spain - no TIE?

Problems at Faro Airport for Brits Resident in Spain - no TIE?

Old Aug 20th 2021, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Problems at Faro Airport for Brits Resident in Spain - no TIE?

I have friends who are resident in Spain and have the Green Card version NIE, yet they had problems leaving and entering Portugal via Faro Airport. The UK Govt. website says the card is still legal and valid and we do not need the change to the new TIE biometric Card. Has anyone else had a problem?

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 20th 2021 at 1:05 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Why cant they leave? Anyone in EU can travel now provided you are fully vaccinated and have filled in a Spanish health care form. It has nothing to do with your green card.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 20th 2021 at 1:05 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 9:50 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Why cant they leave? Anyone in EU can travel now provided you are fully vaccinated and have filled in a Spanish health care form. It has nothing to do with your green card.
Hola,
The problem is landing in one country intending to travel to another; The Spanish green card version of the NIE isn't a valid Portuguese document - I can understand the difference between someone landing at Faro airport intending to stay in Portugal, and someone landing at Faro airport only intent on leaving to go to Spain.

Davexf

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 20th 2021 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,
The problem is landing in one country intending to travel to another; The Spanish green card version of the NIE isn't a valid Portuguese document - I can understand the difference between someone landing at Faro airport intending to stay in Portugal, and someone landing at Faro airport only intent on leaving to go to Spain.

Davexf
Welcome to the EU and freedom of travel within it's external borders

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 20th 2021 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:15 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Welcome to the EU and freedom of travel within it's external borders
Hola

The Schengen area is the freedom of travel BUT the TIE only applies to Spain; it doesn't allow me to spend 91 days in Portugal for example - unless I am very much mistaken

Davexf

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 20th 2021 at 1:07 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

The Schengen area is the freedom of travel BUT the TIE only applies to Spain; it doesn't allow me to spend 91 days in Portugal for example - unless I am very much mistaken

Davexf
Your residency document only gives you residency rights in issuing country. For anywhere else, your passport will apply.

Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
I have friends who are resident in Spain and have the Green Card version NIE, yet they had problems leaving and entering Portugal via Faro Airport. The UK Govt. website says the card is still legal and valid and we do not need the change to the new TIE biometric Card. Has anyone else had a problem?
There is no such thing as green NIE card. NIE is Spanish tax number and usually issued on A4 white paper.
Spanish green residency card has printed NIE on it, as well as other details, but that doesnt make it NIE card!

Spanish residency card/certificate is valid document when entering/leaving any EU/Schengen port. What UK says is irrelevant.
EU law guaranties bearer of such document right to enter any EU/Schengen port and to be allowed free passage to country of residence.

However, as card refers to holders EU rights and UK national is not legally EU national, complications are likely to happen.
That's why ES and UK gov advised to change it to new TIE card that specifically mentions WA rights.

Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems at Faro Airport for Brits Resident in Spain - no TIE?

What the UK government website says needs taking with a good pinch of salt, it's what actually happens on the ground at points of entry/exit in the Schengen area which matter.

The old green residencia card is wholly Spanish document and while it may still pass muster for entry to Spain or boarding a plane in UK destined for Spain being a scabby and relatively easily forged, and one which doesn't even bear a photo of it's holder, it's authenticity is not verifiable by border guards in other countries so it's not really that surprising that people attempting to use them to enter/leave those are liable to experience problems.

Precisely what 'problems' are they having, without knowing that it's difficult to advise further.

Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
Your residency document only gives you residency rights in issuing country. For anywhere else, your passport will apply.
Does Citizenship of an EU country give one anymore rights of freedom of travel?
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Does Citizenship of an EU country give one anymore rights of freedom of travel?
Yes.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:26 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Yes.
Hola

I think, repeat think, you are wrong. I can only stay indefinitely in Spain, no other country. I am limited to 90 days in any 180 days in (for arguments sake) France (or any other Schengen area)

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Aug 20th 2021 at 3:27 pm. Reason: added Schengen area
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Yes.
So a Spanish citizen can go and reside in Germany indefinitely

Or a French citizen can holiday in Portugal for eight months
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I think, repeat think, you are wrong. I can only stay indefinitely in Spain, no other country. I am limited to 90 days in any 180 days in (for arguments sake) France (or any other Schengen area)

Davexf
That is 100% correct. For rest of EU countries one comes under Schengen rules, except for 4 EU sates not yet in Schengen.
Once you get Spanish passport, you're free to roam EU as you please.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Davexf
We moved very rapidly in 2016 to get my wife an Irish passport she does not use her U.K. passport anymore although we will renew it when necessary. This gives her complete freedom of movement throughout the Schengen area. She tried to upgrade her green Residencia card to TIE but was told by the National Police in Ayamonte it was not appropriate. She is able to move throughout Schengen without let or hindrance and should she wish to settle and live somewhere else in the SA she can but would follow the requirements for that country which I understand for France is not much except the registration of the French equivalent of the Padron. My luck is that although a U.K. Passport holder I can hang on to her coattails and settle with her however I would follow different procedures and require the equivalent of the TIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.