Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Problem with an oven

Problem with an oven

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

shoemanpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem with an oven

Hi, we are renting and the oven we have is not like anything we are used to.
The make is 'Superser' and is fuelled by a gas bottle. The regulo knob does not have any numbers to show the temperature, it is min to max.
Quite often when the top is cooked it is burnt underneath and takes a very long time to cook anything.
We had it checked and the jets etc are ok.
Does anyone have experience of these ovens and suggestions as to how to use them?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with an oven

Sounds a right nightmare! I would never use an oven powered by bottled gas, in case it runs out when something is half cooked!

Suggest you learn how to cook on top of the stove like the Spanish do (they rarely use ovens) and invest €30 in a microwave!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:51 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Not a lot of help to you. But we rent long term, had a useless electric oven & hob combo. So We bought a full combi micro/hot air/grill ( whirlpool) & eventually changed the hob alone to a gas one. On a gas bottle, works a treat & gas lasts a long time even using it every day.
The combi oven does for every thing else, although expensive to buy it remains yours of course & can go any where you do.

Suzi
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used a butano fuelled gas oven (and hob) since coming to Spain. The first one I had was similar to the OP's, with no regulo numbers on the dial, and I got a new one this year which does have numbers on. However, tbh there isn't a whole lot of difference in performance - it's very much a question of trial and error and getting used to how long various items take to cook. I find it helps to turn the item around in the oven about half way through cooking, stuff seems to cook more evenly that way. In neither of the ones I've had did things take a long time to cook, more like the opposite - I generally need to reduce the cooking time or things overcook.

Always having a full spare gas bottle in reserve gets round the problem of the bottle running out before something is cooked. And the big advantage of cooking with gas is the cost - one bottle at 16€ or thereabouts (it's months since I bought one) lasts for about six months for all our cooking.

PS The other advantage is that in the event of a power cut due to bad storms, etc. you can still cook if you are using gas! Having lived high up in a moorland area of the UK for many years, when we used to have harsh winters we were sometimes without electricity for 2 or 3 days at a time when snow brought power lines down, and that experience cured me of ever wanting to be all electric!

Last edited by Lynn R; Oct 23rd 2012 at 6:33 pm. Reason: omission
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

shoemanpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. We spoke to our landlord earlier and he has agreed for us to go and look at mini ovens and let him know what we think we want/prices etc. We had a quick look on Amazon and one can get a 35 litre oven for under 100e so will look in the supermarkets/electrical stores at the weekend. We already have a microwave and a halogen oven but they are not good for roasting etc.