British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Private Healthcare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/private-healthcare-374710/)

Roberto May 20th 2006 4:43 pm

Private Healthcare

Hi all, my wife and I are moving to Malaga province at the end of June. We have a house up in the hills near Sayalonga and are looking to purchase a reasonably priced healthcare policy to cover us until we reach retirement age in a couple of years time. We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain and their premiums are quite high.

Anybody got any pointers/suggestions please.

Roberto

j0197 May 20th 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Private Healthcare

I have Asisa (National Nederlanden) which I am quite happy with. Sanitas is Bupa which some of my friends have and they are also quite happy with them. Sanitas have a larger range of health care, different levels and I think everything comes in English, like the website. Just search sanitas in google.

Beachcomber May 20th 2006 8:49 pm

We have been with Sanitas since they took over our original health insurance company Union Previsora in the late 1980s.

Their service has always been excellent and I would highly recommend this company.

Mitzyboy May 21st 2006 9:24 am

After much investigation I am going with AsssA. You can get a quote on line at http://www.asssa.es/seccion.php?codi...resa&idioma=en

chirivel May 21st 2006 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Roberto
Hi all, my wife and I are moving to Malaga province at the end of June. We have a house up in the hills near Sayalonga and are looking to purchase a reasonably priced healthcare policy to cover us until we reach retirement age in a couple of years time. We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain and their premiums are quite high.

Anybody got any pointers/suggestions please.

Roberto

If you have been working in UK for at least two years you can ges spanish national health cover for up to two years ring Newcastle for a form which you fill in and they will send you a document which enables you to register for health care when you get to Spain

casaianda May 24th 2006 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by chirivel
If you have been working in UK for at least two years you can ges spanish national health cover for up to two years ring Newcastle for a form which you fill in and they will send you a document which enables you to register for health care when you get to Spain

We use the Andaluz company Prevision Medica - top of the range policy (includes ICU + Chemotherapy etc.) for BOTh of us 1200 Euros per year.

Mitzyboy May 24th 2006 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by casaianda
We use the Andaluz company Prevision Medica - top of the range policy (includes ICU + Chemotherapy etc.) for BOTh of us 1200 Euros per year.

Cant get the site to work in english ....grrrr

tim hortons man May 25th 2006 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Cant get the site to work in english ....grrrr

How does private health care differ from the Spanish system? As an EU citizen you are entilled to free health care (but not in the language of your choice).

What happens if they refuse cover, they make money by paying out less than they take in and hositpal stays can get expensive fast!

thanks Rob

Aaron203 May 25th 2006 11:44 am

I got my health insurance through SecInsure. I've had it for over 3 years now and have been extremely happy with the service provided and the rates. Their website is www.secinsure.com

Regards

Aaron

Unexpat May 25th 2006 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
How does private health care differ from the Spanish system? As an EU citizen you are entilled to free health care (but not in the language of your choice).
[snip]

Surely you menat to qualify that with "as an EU citizen of state pensionable age"?

As far as I am aware, being an EU citizen alone does not entitle you to free health care other than emergency treatment - which is why those under pensionable age, or not a dependent of someone, or who do not fall into any other exempt category and who are not contributing into the Spanish Social Security system (either voluntarily, or by working) need private health insurance.

Mitzyboy May 25th 2006 2:02 pm

What happens if they refuse cover, they make money by paying out less than they take in and hositpal stays can get expensive fast!

thanks Rob

Unexpat of course is correct. You are not entitled to free healthcare in Spain apart from up to two years when you first move there if you have the correct documentation. Or if you are of retirement age.

tim hortons man May 25th 2006 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Unexpat of course is correct. You are not entitled to free healthcare in Spain apart from up to two years when you first move there if you have the correct documentation. Or if you are of retirement age.

Sorry should have made it a bit clearer. If you become a resident of Spain (move and get a tax card etc) your entitled to use the health care system like any other national. I referred to it as free, but it really isn't as you pay for it with your taxes.

The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays.

I was wondering how companies make money selling private health care, price seems quite reasonable, won't take many doctors visits to run up a large bill. I'm assuming that they are reimbursed by the government. So there cost is the difference from what the goverment would normally pay and what they pay.

casaianda May 26th 2006 5:36 am

Sorry should have made it a bit clearer. If you become a resident of Spain (move and get a tax card etc) your entitled to use the health care system like any other national. I referred to it as free, but it really isn't as you pay for it with your taxes.

The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays.

I was wondering how companies make money selling private health care, price seems quite reasonable, won't take many doctors visits to run up a large bill. I'm assuming that they are reimbursed by the government. So there cost is the difference from what the goverment would normally pay and what they pay.

Just paying tax/being resident here doesn´t entitle you to free health care pre.retirement age. You have to contribute to the Spanish Social Security system also.

Unexpat May 27th 2006 6:37 am

... The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays. ...

But only if you are visiting and have no intention, from day one of your arrival, of becoming permanently resident. Sorry to nit-pick, but the devil is in the detail.

Pensioners (and their dependants) need to have been issued with/obtained forms E106 and (later) E121 from the Dept. of Work and Pensions in the UK to receive their entitlement to Spanish state health care.

I believe that this link is still reasonably accurate http://www.acespana.org/acespana/info_572.htm

Hillybilly May 28th 2006 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Roberto
We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain

Strange. I've just had a very reasonable quote from AXA PPP Healthcare!
www.axappphealthcare.com