Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Private Healthcare

Private Healthcare

Old May 20th 2006, 4:43 pm
Roberto

Roberto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Healthcare

Hi all, my wife and I are moving to Malaga province at the end of June. We have a house up in the hills near Sayalonga and are looking to purchase a reasonably priced healthcare policy to cover us until we reach retirement age in a couple of years time. We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain and their premiums are quite high.

Anybody got any pointers/suggestions please.

Roberto
Old May 20th 2006, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Private Healthcare

I have Asisa (National Nederlanden) which I am quite happy with. Sanitas is Bupa which some of my friends have and they are also quite happy with them. Sanitas have a larger range of health care, different levels and I think everything comes in English, like the website. Just search sanitas in google.
Old May 20th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

We have been with Sanitas since they took over our original health insurance company Union Previsora in the late 1980s.

Their service has always been excellent and I would highly recommend this company.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

After much investigation I am going with AsssA. You can get a quote on line at http://www.asssa.es/seccion.php?codi...resa&idioma=en
Old May 21st 2006, 9:45 am
loving life in spain

chirivel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roberto
Hi all, my wife and I are moving to Malaga province at the end of June. We have a house up in the hills near Sayalonga and are looking to purchase a reasonably priced healthcare policy to cover us until we reach retirement age in a couple of years time. We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain and their premiums are quite high.

Anybody got any pointers/suggestions please.

Roberto
If you have been working in UK for at least two years you can ges spanish national health cover for up to two years ring Newcastle for a form which you fill in and they will send you a document which enables you to register for health care when you get to Spain
Old May 24th 2006, 2:03 pm
Mrs

casaianda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chirivel
If you have been working in UK for at least two years you can ges spanish national health cover for up to two years ring Newcastle for a form which you fill in and they will send you a document which enables you to register for health care when you get to Spain

We use the Andaluz company Prevision Medica - top of the range policy (includes ICU + Chemotherapy etc.) for BOTh of us 1200 Euros per year.
Old May 24th 2006, 4:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casaianda
We use the Andaluz company Prevision Medica - top of the range policy (includes ICU + Chemotherapy etc.) for BOTh of us 1200 Euros per year.
Cant get the site to work in english ....grrrr
Old May 25th 2006, 9:19 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Cant get the site to work in english ....grrrr
How does private health care differ from the Spanish system? As an EU citizen you are entilled to free health care (but not in the language of your choice).

What happens if they refuse cover, they make money by paying out less than they take in and hositpal stays can get expensive fast!

thanks Rob
Old May 25th 2006, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Aaron203 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my health insurance through SecInsure. I've had it for over 3 years now and have been extremely happy with the service provided and the rates. Their website is www.secinsure.com

Regards

Aaron
Old May 25th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
How does private health care differ from the Spanish system? As an EU citizen you are entilled to free health care (but not in the language of your choice).
[snip]
Surely you menat to qualify that with "as an EU citizen of state pensionable age"?

As far as I am aware, being an EU citizen alone does not entitle you to free health care other than emergency treatment - which is why those under pensionable age, or not a dependent of someone, or who do not fall into any other exempt category and who are not contributing into the Spanish Social Security system (either voluntarily, or by working) need private health insurance.
Old May 25th 2006, 2:02 pm
Senior Moment

What happens if they refuse cover, they make money by paying out less than they take in and hositpal stays can get expensive fast!

thanks Rob
Unexpat of course is correct. You are not entitled to free healthcare in Spain apart from up to two years when you first move there if you have the correct documentation. Or if you are of retirement age.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:14 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Unexpat of course is correct. You are not entitled to free healthcare in Spain apart from up to two years when you first move there if you have the correct documentation. Or if you are of retirement age.
Sorry should have made it a bit clearer. If you become a resident of Spain (move and get a tax card etc) your entitled to use the health care system like any other national. I referred to it as free, but it really isn't as you pay for it with your taxes.

The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays.

I was wondering how companies make money selling private health care, price seems quite reasonable, won't take many doctors visits to run up a large bill. I'm assuming that they are reimbursed by the government. So there cost is the difference from what the goverment would normally pay and what they pay.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:36 am
Mrs

casaianda is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry should have made it a bit clearer. If you become a resident of Spain (move and get a tax card etc) your entitled to use the health care system like any other national. I referred to it as free, but it really isn't as you pay for it with your taxes.

The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays.

I was wondering how companies make money selling private health care, price seems quite reasonable, won't take many doctors visits to run up a large bill. I'm assuming that they are reimbursed by the government. So there cost is the difference from what the goverment would normally pay and what they pay.

Just paying tax/being resident here doesn´t entitle you to free health care pre.retirement age. You have to contribute to the Spanish Social Security system also.
Old May 27th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

... The E111 (EHIC) entitles you to emergency health care as if you were a local, including any co-pays. ...
But only if you are visiting and have no intention, from day one of your arrival, of becoming permanently resident. Sorry to nit-pick, but the devil is in the detail.

Pensioners (and their dependants) need to have been issued with/obtained forms E106 and (later) E121 from the Dept. of Work and Pensions in the UK to receive their entitlement to Spanish state health care.

I believe that this link is still reasonably accurate http://www.acespana.org/acespana/info_572.htm

Last edited by Unexpat; May 27th 2006 at 6:40 am.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:51 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto
We currently subscribe to PPP in UK but they don't operate in Spain
Strange. I've just had a very reasonable quote from AXA PPP Healthcare!
www.axappphealthcare.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.