Prime focus

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice
Default Prime focus

For the Guy (or anyone that knows).
I am looking for a new ariel/tv set up. I would like to receive 19.2, 23.5 and 28.2 (and 13.0 or 26 if poss), perhaps a tall order??.
As I would need to have (most probably) a prime focus dish I am wandering the possibilities?. Will a 1.8 dish be big enough for Albir?.
Your replies much appreciated. Thanks.
tuk-tuk. Ed.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice
Default Re: Prime focus

Originally Posted by tuk-tuk
For the Guy (or anyone that knows).
I am looking for a new ariel/tv set up. I would like to receive 19.2, 23.5 and 28.2 (and 13.0 or 26 if poss), perhaps a tall order??.
As I would need to have (most probably) a prime focus dish I am wandering the possibilities?. Will a 1.8 dish be big enough for Albir?.
Your replies much appreciated. Thanks.
tuk-tuk. Ed.
Any offers PLEASE. tuk-tuk.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:26 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You will need a 2.4m dish for BBC channels, and ITV2,3,4 at 28, in Albir / Alfaz.
It helps for ITV1, C4 and Fives, if you have a sky box and a sky card - as a 1m dish should be just about OK for these.
You should be able to get 28 and 26 on a 2.4m dish.

But the others will be out of reach, and a pain to get the LNB supported on the "big" dish correctly.

So may be 1 dish for 28 and 26, and another for 13 19 23 (and even 26), either motorised or fixed with multiple LNBs on.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a motorised 1.2 dish using a Technomate receiver to both view and control it. With that set up I get every satellite from 45e to 60w with ease. The only problem I have found is that many of the free to view channels on Astra come up as 'scrambled' and require a card!! Don't know why this should be, the only free on there at the moment is skynews and bbc world news.

Other free channels like bbc, five, 4 etc etc come up as scrambled, yet we get stuff like movies for men cnbc etc. Of the available channels we have something like 200 that broadcast with english language and way over a 1000 channels that can be viewed with or without a card of some description. I'm thinking of buying a nagravision card to decrypt many of the progs on nilesat and hispasat, only thing stopping me is whether the channels carry an audio sub frequency for english. These two satellites have all of the non sky channels like discovery, history, dave, national geographic etc.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:45 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
The only problem I have found is that many of the free to view channels on Astra come up as 'scrambled' and require a card!! Don't know why this should be, the only free on there at the moment is skynews and bbc world news.
If you are getting Sky News AND BBC World News then that is on Astra 1 at 19 east.
That is not the UK TV satellite, which is on Astra 2 and EB1 at 28 east - and has Sky News and BBC News (thi is different to BBC World News!)
And your receiver is correct: "free to view" channels require a viewing card to view - example being Fiver, Five USA, 6 ITV1 regions....
It is "Free to air" channels do not require a card to view.

Other free channels like bbc, five, 4 etc etc come up as scrambled, yet we get stuff like movies for men cnbc etc.
No BBC channels (for the UK TV market) are scambled (only those operated by BBC Worldwide like BBC PRime / Entertainment
- which you have to subscribe to), so something is not right there with your receiver. Sometme is says "scamblde or poor signal" meaning your dish it too small to receive them, but the BBC channels on Astra 2 are not scrambled!

The Fives on 12442h are free to view and require a sky card (freesatfromsky card - incorrect called a "freeview" or "freesat" card - a freesatfromsky card has nothing to do with freeview or freesat!), as do the "fours" on 12480, but E4 and M4 on 12480 require a Sky subscription card.

. I'm thinking of buying a nagravision card to decrypt many of the progs on nilesat and hispasat, .
Different satellite packages use different encryptions and so will require different cards.
Nagraviasion is just one of a handful of encryption systems, like NDS (used by Sky) and Conax and others...

only thing stopping me is whether the channels carry an audio sub frequency for english. These two satellites have all of the non sky channels like discovery, history, dave, national geographic etc.
Dont think Nilesat or Hispasat have "Dave" on them, but the others may be.
And not too sure what you mean by "These two satellites have all of the non sky channels like discovery, history, dave, national geographic" as those channels you list are on Sky UK!
Other packages may have those channels, but they may not have the English audio option on ALL programmes.
Check out lyngsat.com, and check thepackages. They list the channels that have origianal language options - surprisingly in the "audio" column!

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 6th 2010 at 11:49 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing up some of my poiints Guy. I was rather thinking the reason I could't get some of the channels on 28.2 was the lack of the freesatfromsky card. I mixed up what I got there, Sky world news and bbc world news are on 19. Skynews and BBC news london are available to me in the 'clear' on 28.2.

I'll take a look at lyngsat and see what english audio is offered on the other sats, much easier than browsing dozens and dozens of channels!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Guy
Hi

You will need a 2.4m dish for BBC channels, and ITV2,3,4 at 28, in Albir / Alfaz.
It helps for ITV1, C4 and Fives, if you have a sky box and a sky card - as a 1m dish should be just about OK for these.
You should be able to get 28 and 26 on a 2.4m dish.

But the others will be out of reach, and a pain to get the LNB supported on the "big" dish correctly.

So may be 1 dish for 28 and 26, and another for 13 19 23 (and even 26), either motorised or fixed with multiple LNBs on.
Thanks for the bad news Guy, looks like it's back to the drawing board then. - Thanks all the same. tu-tuk