Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Primary school system in Catalunya

Wikiposts

Primary school system in Catalunya

Old Jun 18th 2024, 12:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school system in Catalunya

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Not against you... but I wish people would stop saying children suck up languages like sponges. It is very misleading As a language teacher 25 years of teaching- a family of multiple language speakers plus a reader of lots of stuff on second language learning- I can assure you kids no more suck up languages than adults. It's just adults make a demarcation between active study and other activities. A child learns a language quite slowly in fact. But what they do is a lot of interaction - hours and hours of it. Language acquisition is proportional to input and output. My son came to Spain at 10 with no Spanish. It took at least 3 years before he could participate in any meaningful way in school and even then it was limited. By 16 he was able to do well in class but only by coming home and covering stuff done in class by using YouTube tutorials in English. This year he has done an A level in Spanish where he should get an A grade but not the higher* which native speakers would get. He can of course speak Spanish very well but will still make mistakes and will struggle with more specific colloquial stuff. But the point is he had to learn all this. It was all active not passive which the sponge metaphor suggests. If you add up the number of hours at school over 8 years it is thousands of hours where the brain receives the language input- and that only works if the child is acting on the input. Many simply switch off. Many British kids born in Spain who attend Spanish schools have very poor Spanish by leaving age.

Rosemary
Old Jun 18th 2024, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Not against you... but I wish people would stop saying children suck up languages like sponges. It is very misleading As a language teacher 25 years of teaching- a family of multiple language speakers plus a reader of lots of stuff on second language learning- I can assure you kids no more suck up languages than adults. It's just adults make a demarcation between active study and other activities. A child learns a language quite slowly in fact. But what they do is a lot of interaction - hours and hours of it. Language acquisition is proportional to input and output. My son came to Spain at 10 with no Spanish. It took at least 3 years before he could participate in any meaningful way in school and even then it was limited. By 16 he was able to do well in class but only by coming home and covering stuff done in class by using YouTube tutorials in English. This year he has done an A level in Spanish where he should get an A grade but not the higher* which native speakers would get. He can of course speak Spanish very well but will still make mistakes and will struggle with more specific colloquial stuff. But the point is he had to learn all this. It was all active not passive which the sponge metaphor suggests. If you add up the number of hours at school over 8 years it is thousands of hours where the brain receives the language input- and that only works if the child is acting on the input. Many simply switch off. Many British kids born in Spain who attend Spanish schools have very poor Spanish by leaving age.
I went to school with a Mexican who spoke no English. By the end of the school year he could hold a basic conversation in English. I’d go with a private international school if I were to school my child in Spain. I thought about taking her to the state school but the main language there is Catalan. In some places of Catalonia the kids speak better English than they do Castellano.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Not against you... but I wish people would stop saying children suck up languages like sponges. It is very misleading As a language teacher 25 years of teaching- a family of multiple language speakers plus a reader of lots of stuff on second language learning- I can assure you kids no more suck up languages than adults.
Interesting, because I have been taught exactly the opposite at university, and that kids' ability to "soak up languages like a sponge" was due to certain physiological changes that occur in the brain at a certain age, after which language learning isn't as fast and natural any more.

Are you claiming that all that science is wrong and that the opposite is true?

I think what's worth looking at is the effect of culture and mass culture (tv) in particular. Spain can easily serve as an example of where the population at large has failed to embrace English. I don't think it's a coincidence that dubbing all foreign films/tv shows to wipe out any English dialogue has played a role here. Look at Scandinavia, where they merely use subtitles, and it's an entirely different story.

There probably is more to it though. Japan for instance had a nationwide plan to increase people's command of English but it failed miserably. Could it be the geographical isolation of the country, or perhaps the strong culture that prevents things from outside from breaking through? Probably a handful of factors were to blame but it's still surprising how English has become almost commonplace in certain countries yet almost useless in others.
Old Today, 6:40 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Anyway, I'm in the Canary Islands so NONE of that bs affects me whatsoever. Feel sorry for those that it does though, especially if they have kids who they want to send to a local school and think that moving to Barcelona is a good idea. OUCH.
How can I put this, your perception of what goes on in Catalonia is probably tainted by having not having first-hand experience of Catalonia. When Catalonia is mentioned in the national media it's usually not complimentary.

Wouldn't they be those kids in say the Costa del Sol stuck in a clique where all their friends are British, their parents usually associate with other Brits, and they only ever have British media on at home?
Old Today, 11:44 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
How can I put this, your perception of what goes on in Catalonia is probably tainted by having not having first-hand experience of Catalonia. When Catalonia is mentioned in the national media it's usually not complimentary.
I don't have a perception or opinion at all when it comes to Catalonia - only the simple fact that Catalan (and NOT SPANISH) is the main language used at schools. Which personally I think is a joke (regardless of expat or local status!).

Not a biggie for me, I prefer warmer pastures so Barcelona was way too cold to even consider moving to... not a chance!

Do they have the right to do that? Yes. Does it diminish kids' command of Spanish? Yes. Do you as an expat want to send your kids to such a school? DEFINITELY NO.