Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Price Fixing in Spain

Price Fixing in Spain

Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Price Fixing in Spain

Has anyone experienced this? I don't know whether it is still legal in Spain or not or whether companies are flouting the law. I don't know whether in Spain there is Retail Price Maintenance.

I have been looking into possibly purchasing a certain audio streaming/CD player and the price is the same wherever you go, which in my case was a well-reputed audio dealer in Bilbao. The price was €799. Looking on the internet at home, lo & behold, the price is exactly the same, whether in El Corte Ingles, FNAC, Media Markt or even Amazon.es. He said if I found a cheaper price only in Spain, he would match it. Guess what, all the same price!
Coincidentally I have found a report from the EU stating that 4 electronics companies had been fined for anti-trust price fixing, and one of these companies was the one whose audio model I was interested in.....Marantz.
I cannot attach attach the website from the EU as the file extension is .htm but it is in google under 'retail price maintenance', then scroll down to 'European Press Release' and open that link.

I also find the same problem with other consumables, whether books, DVD's, tools & equipment (eg chain saws) in Spain. For this reason, I often avoid buying here & prefer UK online, even though there is often less comeback.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Price Fixing in Spain

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Has anyone experienced this? I don't know whether it is still legal in Spain or not or whether companies are flouting the law. I don't know whether in Spain there is Retail Price Maintenance.

I have been looking into possibly purchasing a certain audio streaming/CD player and the price is the same wherever you go, which in my case was a well-reputed audio dealer in Bilbao. The price was €799. Looking on the internet at home, lo & behold, the price is exactly the same, whether in El Corte Ingles, FNAC, Media Markt or even Amazon.es. He said if I found a cheaper price only in Spain, he would match it. Guess what, all the same price!
Coincidentally I have found a report from the EU stating that 4 electronics companies had been fined for anti-trust price fixing, and one of these companies was the one whose audio model I was interested in.....Marantz.
I cannot attach attach the website from the EU as the file extension is .htm but it is in google under 'retail price maintenance', then scroll down to 'European Press Release' and open that link.

I also find the same problem with other consumables, whether books, DVD's, tools & equipment (eg chain saws) in Spain. For this reason, I often avoid buying here & prefer UK online, even though there is often less comeback.
The only time i noticed this was when we brought our pellet boiler.Where ever we went we were handed a brochure with pics and prices.when asked for a discount the was no every where but would dicount labour and fitting
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price Fixing in Spain

Yes I have noticed this on some items - but currently, I am looking for a new TV and these do seem to vary - although often it is difficult to compare prices as some models appear to be store exclusive but I wonder about this also!
Old Oct 18th 2019, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price Fixing in Spain

When we purchased the TV for the flat in March, the price in Carrefour was about €15 cheaper than the electric shop in Polop for the exact same model. But we went with the local shop as they delivered it and supplied a selection of cables to connect to the socket as the one supplied was not long enough (for free)

Not noticed prices being the same, but last week I wanted to get a new Coffee maker (Nestle one) and all the shops were having a deal, but they were all sold out....