Reload this Page >

Prescriptions & Hello

Prescriptions & Hello

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

gillianth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Prescriptions & Hello

Hello

I am new to the forum. Name is Gillian, age 38 and live in the UK. Hubby is an electrician and 41. I have read quite a few articles with interest - we are in the very early stages of planning a move to Spain (probably the Costa Blanca Murcia region) but not for 2 years yet. I just wanted to get everything sorted before we make the move.
I have a million and one questions but I really wanted to ask you all about prescriptions - I know it has been spoken about before because I did a search and found 3 pages but they didn't really answer my questions.
My daughter is now 20 and has epilepsy and underactive thyroid both managed succesfully by medication. She is on free prescriptions over here - how would we go on if we moved to Spain. I don't mind paying for the medication, but would we just be able to register with a doctor and get the same prescription or does it not work like that?

Gillian
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions & Hello

Hi Gillian

To be registered with the doc you need to be legally working and paying into the system, then you will get your SIP card. If your husband is working you will be covered by his contributions - not sure about your daughter as she is not a child but Im sure someone on here will know. You may be able to buy her medication over the counter here ??

There is lots of information on this site about the health care system after recent TV programmes in UK
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Everything that is available in the UK, you can buy over the counter and also a lot cheaper. A lot of the Spanish equivalent medicines are much cheaper. If you ask your doctor in the UK I am sure they could advise on your best way to get treatment for your daughter.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:25 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillianth
Hello

I am new to the forum. Name is Gillian, age 38 and live in the UK. Hubby is an electrician and 41. I have read quite a few articles with interest - we are in the very early stages of planning a move to Spain (probably the Costa Blanca Murcia region) but not for 2 years yet. I just wanted to get everything sorted before we make the move.
I have a million and one questions but I really wanted to ask you all about prescriptions - I know it has been spoken about before because I did a search and found 3 pages but they didn't really answer my questions.
My daughter is now 20 and has epilepsy and underactive thyroid both managed succesfully by medication. She is on free prescriptions over here - how would we go on if we moved to Spain. I don't mind paying for the medication, but would we just be able to register with a doctor and get the same prescription or does it not work like that?

Gillian
Hi gillianth,

I think your best bet would be to get private health insurance initially and as long as you have records of your daughter's medical history, the doctor's here won't have any problem renewing her prescriptions. I too suffer from an underactive thyroid and B-12 deficiency and get my pills and injections over the counter. I've never had to renew my prescriptions, I just ask for my pills at the chemists and no pasa nada!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

gillianth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your help. I will ask at our doctors. I just want to make sure I have everything covered before we make the move

Gillian
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillianth
Thanks very much for your help. I will ask at our doctors. I just want to make sure I have everything covered before we make the move

Gillian
If your stamps are up to date you can get a 106 form that will cover you for up to two years and apparently longer in some parts of Spain, till you take out private cover if you are under retirement age.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi gillianth,

I think your best bet would be to get private health insurance initially and as long as you have records of your daughter's medical history, the doctor's here won't have any problem renewing her prescriptions. I too suffer from an underactive thyroid and B-12 deficiency and get my pills and injections over the counter. I've never had to renew my prescriptions, I just ask for my pills at the chemists and no pasa nada!
Re your B12 deficiency. Is this pernicious anaemia? If so when you say you get your injections over the counter - do you have them done in the pharmacy!!!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:47 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Re your B12 deficiency. Is this pernicious anaemia? If so when you say you get your injections over the counter - do you have them done in the pharmacy!!!
Yes, it is pernicious anaemia . I buy the ampules and needles and inject myself as it's too much of a hassle making an appointment each month and going to the nurse at the surgery. I don't think they do them at the pharmacy here....but I could certainly ask and find out.