Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prescription Medicines

Prescription Medicines

Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:36 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prescription Medicines

I have read on forums that you can purchase most medicines over the counter without a prescription. Is that right. It seems a bit strange?

I am thinking of antibiotics, tranquillisers etc.

Does anyone know the answer?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Prescription Medicines

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
I have read on forums that you can purchase most medicines over the counter without a prescription. Is that right. It seems a bit strange?

I am thinking of antibiotics, tranquillisers etc.

Does anyone know the answer?
You can certainly buy more drugs, such as Atenolol (for High BP), and some antidepressants(eg amitryptilene) OTC, without scrip, than in UK, but others, such as benzodiazepines(eg Valium) & many antibiotics still do need a scrip.

I work on the 'try it & see' principle; some are available and cheap enough to be worthwhile getting OTC, thereby avoiding the queueing involved in getting a repeat from the Dr, or the expense of paying a translator if you have to see the Dr in person
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

a) A lot of Meds that need a scrip in the UK do not need one in spain.
b) A lot of Meds that do need a Scrip in Spain many Pharmacies in Spain will sell you without one.
c) A Private Scrip in Spain costs about 15E and can be reused.( One Scrip can list many meds)
d) A Health Service Scrip can only be used once.

Use b or c and you will pay the price on the box
Use d) and normally you will get the meds for free or around I think 1/3 of the price depending on your circumstances.

Best

Loco

Originally Posted by rogerb
You can certainly buy more drugs, such as Atenolol (for High BP), and some antidepressants(eg amitryptilene) OTC, without scrip, than in UK, but others, such as benzodiazepines(eg Valium) & many antibiotics still do need a scrip.

I work on the 'try it & see' principle; some are available and cheap enough to be worthwhile getting OTC, thereby avoiding the queueing involved in getting a repeat from the Dr, or the expense of paying a translator if you have to see the Dr in person
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

I found that in my local chemist you have to ask for the specific (prescription type) drug that you want, you can’t just ask them for something for the problem you have, and then, as Roger says, there are some drugs they will not supply without a prescription.