Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

POST IS IT SAFE

POST IS IT SAFE

Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough
Default POST IS IT SAFE

Is it safe to put driving license in the post or do you think it is better to send it registered!! I notice registered seems to take ages but on the other hand someone may think there is something of value in it and it may not make its destination just like a DVD I sent last year registered and it never make it, although I tracked it to the post office it got "lost" from there!!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POST IS IT SAFE

Probably just as safe as posting in the uk.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Is it safe to put driving license in the post or do you think it is better to send it registered!! I notice registered seems to take ages but on the other hand someone may think there is something of value in it and it may not make its destination just like a DVD I sent last year registered and it never make it, although I tracked it to the post office it got "lost" from there!!
If you are really worried about it use FEDEX/UPS/DHL/ASM/SEUR/ they are all expensive but it WILL get there.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely send it certificado.

Ive sent loads of items to the UK this way and they have always got there but I wouldnt trust the normal postage as I have had items never delivered.

To me posting anything is a gamble though, and the UK system can be as bad as the spanish one.

Good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Why not get a Spanish one and have a gestor take the worry?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
If you are really worried about it use FEDEX/UPS/DHL/ASM/SEUR/ they are all expensive but it WILL get there.
Not every time.
I once sent a $5500 bankers draft via DHL secure delivery, they lost it. I hand to cancel that draft at my bank (fee charged) and get another draft (another fee). What compensation did DHL pay? Bugger all, they would only refund the original cost of postage.
What did become apparent whilst I was bemoaning their service was that although I had paid the extra for secure delivery, it doesn't exist, it had got lumped in with general postage.
I avoid DHL like the plague now.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

No its coming from the UK. I did though send something "certificado" to the UK and although it got to the post office it never made it to where it was supposed to! which I why I asked as I feel someone may think it is worth more if it is registered. I cant get a Spanish one without my UK one!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

No its coming from the UK. I did though send something "certificado" to the UK and although it got to the post office it never made it to where it was supposed to! which I why I asked as I feel someone may think it is worth more if it is registered. I cant get a Spanish one without my UK one!
OK from the UK send it by recorded delivery and I think you can tell them whats inside and pay accordingly.

Ive never had a problem with that service-airsure I think it is.

I am used to postal services worldwide as I used to do ebay and still do a little if Im lucky.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter has posted my husband's driving licence registered post today. I'll let you all know if and when it arrives here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Mine is just coming by ordinary post so will let you know if and when mine arrives!

Thanks for all your replies
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

As I promised in my previous post I'd let you know when my husband's driving licence arrived. It arrived today posted in the UK on 1st July by registered mail. It's no quicker than ordinary mail, but probably safer. My daughter tracked it until it left the UK and I picked it up here on the Correos website. It actually arrived in Spain on 7th, so almost a week to get to Spain from the UK, then only 2 days to be delivered. It was delivered to the door, fortunately we were at home, my husband had to show his passport and sign for it.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Val W
…It actually arrived in Spain on 7th, so almost a week to get to Spain from the UK, then only 2 days to be delivered…
Ooo err… How many of us were thinking all the delay would be at the Spanish end?

As a matter of interest, the UK Signed For (Recorded Delivery) has no special treatment at all in carriage. It’s thrown in with all the other general post. Only when the postie takes it to the door does he get his book signed. It’s barcoded in at the beginning, but from then on, no tracking of any kind.

Special Delivery (Registered) is the only post treated specially, away from the other post.

I’ve no idea how this works when it gets abroad, but from what I recall a year or two ago, Signed For has no equivalent in Europe and will/will not get delivered in the usual way, whereas SD does have equivalent European tracking and care, which seems to be verified by the above case.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Well I received mine today. It was posted "airsure" not sure what that is. I didnt have to sign for it and it cost nearly 6 pounds!! it was posted on the
3rd of July so only took 6 days which is the quickest I have ever received anything!!

But thanks for the replies. I must say that when anything has been sent registered it has taken up to two weeks to get here. I dont have any problem sending post to the UK. I sent a package to the UK on the 5th and it arrived on the 7th!

Anyway at least it is here now
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have everything sent "normal post", our postie is brilliant, never had any problems