Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Possible Telefónica scam - beware

Possible Telefónica scam - beware

Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible Telefónica scam - beware

I just received a call from a man claiming to be from Telefónica. He didn't sound like a typical call centre employee and I was a bit suspicious.

He said that he was calling to warn me that they were going to be working on the line to digitise/modernise it. He said i'd receive discounts on my bill as a result and that I'd end up paying much less. Suspicious? You bet.

He asked had I noticed any slowness on my adsl connection. I told him no and pointed out that my adsl is not with Telefónica - he wanted to know who it was with but I said I'd prefer to call 1004 and talk to them and hung up.

1004 have no record of anyone trying to call me and suggest it was probably a scammer from another company looking for my details to attempt to take over my service.

Beware. Hang up and call back yourself.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Possible Telefónica scam - beware

Do you have Caller ID and did it show a number? If so check or add the number here:

http://whocallsme.com/

Last edited by Beachcomber; Mar 21st 2009 at 4:10 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

No, no caller display.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

dont see what the scam is tho what did he want
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Something about requesting a change of provider on your behalf and without your knowledge. It does happen

http://www.adslzone.net/postx177443-...9cf56c545ec8b8

http://www.am-abogados.com/blog/el-s...utorizado/125/

Last edited by rachelk; Mar 22nd 2009 at 12:23 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffer
dont see what the scam is tho what did he want
If you give people enough information it's possible for them to switch your provider without your knowledge (although they will claim you gave "permission"). They will therefore earn a commission on the "sale".
There was a spate of these scams in the UK some year ago, where people thought they were being helpful and filling in a survey and later found their electricity bills were coming from a different company. They've died out in the UK (the scams, not the people) due to regualatory intervention, however I have a sneaking suspicion that in Spain the regulators aren't worth a cent - if they exist at all.
This just reinforces the wisdom of not giving out *any* personal information to anyone who phones you: name, address, anything - either hang up or if you're too polite to do that say that you don't give out personal information on the phone, then hang up.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:24 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to get alot of calls from "telefonica", fortunately my spanish isnt good enough to understand what they´re saying I just say "no intiendo, soy guiri" and hang up!

Jo x
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I seem to get alot of calls from "telefonica", fortunately my spanish isnt good enough to understand what they´re saying I just say "no intiendo, soy guiri" and hang up!

Jo x
I shouldn't worry, they probably just want to reduce your tariff
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I have had calls from 'Telefónica' but although the caller is speaking Spanish it is obvious from his accent that he is South American and the caller ID indicates Venezuela.

I have never got as far as finding out if it really is Telefónica Venezuela calling or whether it is a scammer trying to get my credit card details.