Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Spain

Possible move to Spain

Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:16 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to Spain

Myself & wife are considering moving to Spain in 2020 to, hopefully, run a small bar. I know everything with Brexit means that plans can't be made until we know what the fall out from that is, but I am hopeful that it will still allow people like us to come over and work there.

I have friends who lives in Yunquera and we recently visited them and had a chat about the idea. We had looked at various estate agents (?) that specialise in bars with leases as well as freehold options. We're leaning more to the leasehold, however, my friend suggested that there may be several bars that are no longer functioning were owners may be happy to let you rent them. There was one in the village he lived in that fitted that option, but Yunquera was just a shade to quiet for us and already seemed to have several bars.

We were thinking somewhere closer to the sea, a small village not a major tourist resort and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on any such bars i.e. ones in such villages/surrounding of the likes of Benalmadena, Mijas, Estepona, Velez-Malaga or the likes? We don't want to be in the middle of Benidorm or Torremolinos or similar as we don't want that sort of bar. We're thinking small bar with outside space, sell craft beers & gin (as well as stock the staples such as Cruzcampo).

I know this may bring a flurry of replies both positive or negative but I welcome all forms of information (as long as it's not insulting) as it will help our decision making on the idea.

For background info, we're aged circa 50 (one under, one slightly over), we currently run a business but not a bar. The wife has had several years working bars in the UK before she went into corporate world so she has basic knowledge. We aren't fluent in Spanish but this will be addressed with night classes as well as going over to test ourselves. We intend to raise a pot of money by selling our current business and will rent our house in the UK to provide us with income to rent a small apartment or similar near to any bar.

Look forward to any replies whether they be info on bars available or areas to look at/avoid, people to contact, things we should look to do/have etc....

Last edited by TheBevs; Dec 7th 2018 at 12:18 pm.
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:13 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,255
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by TheBevs View Post
Myself & wife are considering moving to Spain in 2020 to, hopefully, run a small bar. I know everything with Brexit means that plans can't be made until we know what the fall out from that is, but I am hopeful that it will still allow people like us to come over and work there.

I have friends who lives in Yunquera and we recently visited them and had a chat about the idea. We had looked at various estate agents (?) that specialise in bars with leases as well as freehold options. We're leaning more to the leasehold, however, my friend suggested that there may be several bars that are no longer functioning were owners may be happy to let you rent them. There was one in the village he lived in that fitted that option, but Yunquera was just a shade to quiet for us and already seemed to have several bars.

We were thinking somewhere closer to the sea, a small village not a major tourist resort and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on any such bars i.e. ones in such villages/surrounding of the likes of Benalmadena, Mijas, Estepona, Velez-Malaga or the likes? We don't want to be in the middle of Benidorm or Torremolinos or similar as we don't want that sort of bar. We're thinking small bar with outside space, sell craft beers & gin (as well as stock the staples such as Cruzcampo).

I know this may bring a flurry of replies both positive or negative but I welcome all forms of information (as long as it's not insulting) as it will help our decision making on the idea.

For background info, we're aged circa 50 (one under, one slightly over), we currently run a business but not a bar. The wife has had several years working bars in the UK before she went into corporate world so she has basic knowledge. We aren't fluent in Spanish but this will be addressed with night classes as well as going over to test ourselves. We intend to raise a pot of money by selling our current business and will rent our house in the UK to provide us with income to rent a small apartment or similar near to any bar.

Look forward to any replies whether they be info on bars available or areas to look at/avoid, people to contact, things we should look to do/have etc....
At least you are able to take some negative feedback:-). You aren't the first people with the idea, so what are your main reasons for opening a bar in Spain? Let's face it, if an existing bar is for rent it probably didn't generate enough money. With so many unemployed Spanish, wouldn't they have jumped for that chance to take over a successful bar? Maybe you just need the challenge and you have enough money, so no problem there:-). Don't want to sound negative, just realistic. If you've worked hard all your life to build up savings for retirement, it would be a shame to lose that all on a bar.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:39 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Costa Blanca
Posts: 2,457
spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

For a hobby/something to do great idea. To make a decent living vs hassle/time/risk etc forget it.
spainrico is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:41 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 182
1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

The Bar! It should be a tv series. You will get lots of advice about it. Most will suggest no due to the fact that everyone knows someone who has tried and failed. Having said that some manage so it can't always end in disaster. First I would say if you don't speak Spanish ( and you won't be good enough after classes for a year) you are at a disadvantage. Most successful bars have one partner who has Spanish. Secondly decide how much you can afford to lose. Then , if you can accept the worst , go for it. Oh Yes and be prepared to work everyday of the summer from morning to night. Good luck
1sexsmith is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:51 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Moses, thanks for your comments. Yes, if a bar is empty it could well be that it wasn't successful but there may be reasons it wasn't successful; poor selection of beers, not a nice bar to drink in, not anything else offered i.e. footy, quiz, food etc. Also, not everyone will have funds to set up a bar. You mention unemployed Spanish. How many unemployed people will have the necessary funds to take on a bar with all the basic financial commitments. If a bar was successful then it probably won't be available unless the owners decided they wanted to cash in on their success, but even then it's more likely to be someone with financial backing that would buy it not an unemployed person.

Our reasons for considering this move are that the wife was very successful in running bars in her early life and is looking to change her involvement in corporate world to a job she enjoys which, for her, would be less stressful. We currently run a wedding styling business (alongside her PT corporate job) so our skill sets are suited to running a bar (customer interaction, service standards, ideas, bringing things to fruition etc.) and we did consider a pub in the UK but we have both always harboured hopes of living abroad for the same reasons many of the expats are there now; better way of life, sunshine, less stress, sunshine, open air living, sunshine.....

We aren't looking to wander out there and just wing it, we do have plans, and as I said, financially we hope that the sale of our current business will give us the necessary cash to be able to fund the initial leg up i.e. rent, decorate and set up a bar and allow us to survive if you will, without too many money worries.

As I said, all comments welcome (except insulting ones) and I appreciate your input. Yes, we do understand there is a risk we could invest a lot of money and have nothing after 12 months, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't have a fairy godmother saying there's a small bar outside Estepona that's done really well over the last 2 years and now needs 2 new people to run it, are you up for it, so I have to look to do it myself!....
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:57 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith View Post
The Bar! It should be a tv series. You will get lots of advice about it. Most will suggest no due to the fact that everyone knows someone who has tried and failed. Having said that some manage so it can't always end in disaster. First I would say if you don't speak Spanish ( and you won't be good enough after classes for a year) you are at a disadvantage. Most successful bars have one partner who has Spanish. Secondly decide how much you can afford to lose. Then , if you can accept the worst , go for it. Oh Yes and be prepared to work everyday of the summer from morning to night. Good luck
yes, for every failure there must be someone doing OK. I'm not expecting to be financially rich from this, the job is more a lifestyle choice. My friend in Yunquera worked for years in the financial sector and now is a 'peasant farmer'. Nowhere near as well paid but his style of life is loads better. I get that a bar will have certain requirements for hours but as long as we can meet our basic needs and be happy I see no reason to be 24/7 May-Sept. I've been in many resorts where good bars can pick their opening hours and still be successful. But thanks for your wishes of good luck, hopefully we can be lucky!
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:12 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,255
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by TheBevs View Post
Moses, thanks for your comments. Yes, if a bar is empty it could well be that it wasn't successful but there may be reasons it wasn't successful; poor selection of beers, not a nice bar to drink in, not anything else offered i.e. footy, quiz, food etc. Also, not everyone will have funds to set up a bar. You mention unemployed Spanish. How many unemployed people will have the necessary funds to take on a bar with all the basic financial commitments. If a bar was successful then it probably won't be available unless the owners decided they wanted to cash in on their success, but even then it's more likely to be someone with financial backing that would buy it not an unemployed person.

Our reasons for considering this move are that the wife was very successful in running bars in her early life and is looking to change her involvement in corporate world to a job she enjoys which, for her, would be less stressful. We currently run a wedding styling business (alongside her PT corporate job) so our skill sets are suited to running a bar (customer interaction, service standards, ideas, bringing things to fruition etc.) and we did consider a pub in the UK but we have both always harboured hopes of living abroad for the same reasons many of the expats are there now; better way of life, sunshine, less stress, sunshine, open air living, sunshine.....

We aren't looking to wander out there and just wing it, we do have plans, and as I said, financially we hope that the sale of our current business will give us the necessary cash to be able to fund the initial leg up i.e. rent, decorate and set up a bar and allow us to survive if you will, without too many money worries.

As I said, all comments welcome (except insulting ones) and I appreciate your input. Yes, we do understand there is a risk we could invest a lot of money and have nothing after 12 months, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't have a fairy godmother saying there's a small bar outside Estepona that's done really well over the last 2 years and now needs 2 new people to run it, are you up for it, so I have to look to do it myself!....
I get your points, but don't forget that Spain is a complete different market. I live in Ireland and even here were the pubs and bars are still full, many are struggling. If you are in a great location and offer excellent food, of course it can work and you can make plenty of cash. People in Britain and Ireland spend a lot more, drink a lot more:-) but Spain is different. Even in Benalmadena, Mijas, Estepona you have all inclusive hotels, so what makes your bar different that people want to go there? Will the locals go to you bar etc.? Then you have the language barrier and other things. Just saying that you can quickly fall and suddenly realise you lost a load of cash. Wouldn't it be easier to save more money, buy a little place outright without the need to work long hours just to survive?
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:45 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith View Post
The Bar! It should be a tv series. You will get lots of advice about it. Most will suggest no due to the fact that everyone knows someone who has tried and failed. Having said that some manage so it can't always end in disaster. First I would say if you don't speak Spanish ( and you won't be good enough after classes for a year) you are at a disadvantage. Most successful bars have one partner who has Spanish. Secondly decide how much you can afford to lose. Then , if you can accept the worst , go for it. Oh Yes and be prepared to work everyday of the summer from morning to night. Good luck
There is actually a TV show, it's called A New Life In The Sun on Channel 4 and it highlights several people relocating to Spain/France to run businesses ranging from B&B to scuba diving to (you've guessed it) bars in Spain! And all seem to do well! I have seen one fail but that was through lack of funds and poor planning. I know they paint a pretty picture for TV but still..... I guess the only way would e to track one of the bars down and ask if all is still roses and have they kicked on!
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:50 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
I get your points, but don't forget that Spain is a complete different market. I live in Ireland and even here were the pubs and bars are still full, many are struggling. If you are in a great location and offer excellent food, of course it can work and you can make plenty of cash. People in Britain and Ireland spend a lot more, drink a lot more:-) but Spain is different. Even in Benalmadena, Mijas, Estepona you have all inclusive hotels, so what makes your bar different that people want to go there? Will the locals go to you bar etc.? Then you have the language barrier and other things. Just saying that you can quickly fall and suddenly realise you lost a load of cash. Wouldn't it be easier to save more money, buy a little place outright without the need to work long hours just to survive?
That to me is the key.....make your bar something different to what is around and then you have a chance. If the initial rental of one allows us to have some success, then I can look to sell my house in the UK and come over and then buy a place. Rather than buy straight off, not succeed, then lose everything as I can't afford to run it. So many people say to people looking to come out, keep your house in the UK so if it doesn't work out you can go home.....that's my thoughts. If after 2 years of relative success we can see we can 'upgrade' then that's another decision we have to make......
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:57 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
TheBevs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2018
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 7
TheBevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by spainrico View Post
For a hobby/something to do great idea. To make a decent living vs hassle/time/risk etc forget it.
Bit blunt but it's a comment. I took this from your website,rings a bell with me. I'm just looking to do the same, move away fro the UK and its hassles and run a bar so I can earn enough to enjoy a less stressful life. I don't see running a bar as stressful/hassle.....may be I'm mad, may be I'm a dreamer, but if we don't follow our dreams do we get anywhere?.....

We all search for something in life. My search brought me to Spain. I was looking for a different lifestyle away from cold gloomy UK and my corporate life.

I was happy to trade down. Relax, live in the sun and see what happened.
TheBevs is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:08 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 75
earlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant future
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Hi 7 years ago we sold up and bought a pub in a remote part of Scotland. We didnt want a pub in a city it was is a semi retirement thing. We now work harder than ever before. for a lot less money. We (wife and me) had never worked in a bar before. But we wanted to get out the city so we did. Running a small bar in the UK is hard its not all standing there pulling pints and chatting. Its all the other stuff be it paper work lucky for us thats in English but all the stuff you dont think of. When you close and all you customers go home happy it time for you to clean and get ready for the next day there may be a bit of DIY todo as you will want to save money and not pay some one. Then in the morning you can get up nice and early and go out to restock. we serve breakfasts so we are lucky and need to be in kitchen by 07.00 serve them then go and restock. But any way open at 15.00 and work till last people go. We drop hint round 22.30. Do the Jobs I have mentioned then have supper then bed.
But to do this then do all the paperwork in a Spanish as well as deal with reps or local council people all in Spanish hats off to you.
Would we do it again in the UK sorry but no. may be a cafe or tea room but not a pub Would we do it in Spain not speaking the lingo NO. cant put my finger on it it a little bit of everything Sorting license, Tax's hygiene certificates. Cant really help with the Spanish. But the pub side ive got the tee shirt.
As I also said we are in a remote area so it would be totally different in a town or city,

Last edited by earlyoap; Dec 7th 2018 at 3:12 pm.
earlyoap is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:25 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,255
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by earlyoap View Post
Hi 7 years ago we sold up and bought a pub in a remote part of Scotland. We didnt want a pub in a city it was is a semi retirement thing. We now work harder than ever before. for a lot less money. We (wife and me) had never worked in a bar before. But we wanted to get out the city so we did. Running a small bar in the UK is hard its not all standing there pulling pints and chatting. Its all the other stuff be it paper work lucky for us thats in English but all the stuff you dont think of. When you close and all you customers go home happy it time for you to clean and get ready for the next day there may be a bit of DIY todo as you will want to save money and not pay some one. Then in the morning you can get up nice and early and go out to restock. we serve breakfasts so we are lucky and need to be in kitchen by 07.00 serve them then go and restock. But any way open at 15.00 and work till last people go. We drop hint round 22.30. Do the Jobs I have mentioned then have supper then bed.
But to do this then do all the paperwork in a Spanish as well as deal with reps or local council people all in Spanish hats off to you.
Would we do it again in the UK sorry but no. may be a cafe or tea room but not a pub Would we do it in Spain not speaking the lingo NO. cant put my finger on it it a little bit of everything Sorting license, Tax's hygiene certificates. Cant really help with the Spanish. But the pub side ive got the tee shirt.
As I also said we are in a remote area so it would be totally different in a town or city,
It's great that you are being so honest. I once spoke to some Swiss couple near Roses in Spain and they hadn't been to the beach for a year, as they just never had time. Long days, hard work and at least they spoke Spanish, but no time to actually enjoy the sun.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:38 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 182
1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Yes I fear you will probably get more people warning against this than encouraging it but doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I think you should always start with a clear understanding of what you might stand to lose and weigh that up. Some people enjoy risks others don't. Successful people will on the whole risk takers. If you such a person then you will have a much better chance at success and will no doubt thrive under the challenge. If however it is about getting away from a particular lifestyle that motivates then this type of venture should probably be avoided. You are too old to be trying to change things so drastically. If you want a less stressful lifestyle and some sun and you have some money already just go and work in a bar. It's easy. You will be a lot happier unless , as I said, you are the type of person who requires the thrill of a challenge ( in which case you would probably not mind stress in the first place).
One thing though. As you don't speak Spanish ( and I m afraid won't for a good few years) make sure your bar is smack bang in the middle of a popular zone for foreigners. Spanish won't go into English speaking places enough for you to rely on their patronage
1sexsmith is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:29 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,254
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

Originally Posted by TheBevs View Post

We were thinking somewhere closer to the sea, a small village not a major tourist resort and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on any such bars i.e. ones in such villages/surrounding of the likes of Benalmadena, Mijas, Estepona, Velez-Malaga or the likes? We don't want to be in the middle of Benidorm or Torremolinos or similar as we don't want that sort of bar. We're thinking small bar with outside space, sell craft beers & gin (as well as stock the staples such as Cruzcampo).


.
I've lived in Vélez.Málaga for over 12 years and I certainly wouldn't advise you to buy a bar here. There has only ever been one British-run bar here, which 3 different owners tried to make a go of, and it closed permanently some years ago. The recently opened San Francisco "gourmet market" which includes a bar very like the one you describe is very quiet most of the time, although they have live music and other events going on, and I worry about how sustainable it will be.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Dec 7th 2018, 6:58 pm
  #15  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,870
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Spain

It is certainly possible to turn a poorly managed loss making unpopular bar into a money maker, I know one where new landlord has done exactly that. However to set up to manage a bar with little management experience is brave. Good luck.
missile is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.