Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to live in rural Spain on a limited income? .

Is it possible to live in rural Spain on a limited income? .

Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to live in rural Spain on a limited income? .

I just about get by on 5000 a week

Then again I have a severe cocaine habit and collect Faberge eggs. Each to their own.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it all boils down to what you call a rural area We live in a town in what I would describe as a rural area, and yes we could live quite easily on this amount, taxes included. If however our "rural area" was around the "costa del golf" for instance then it would be another matter. Inland andalucia is quite cheap as compared with inland Cataluna and so on. So it all depends where you chose to live , and as has already been posted, how far you have to travel for shops etc. But it is quite possible if you chose wisely.
Pete
Old Aug 27th 2016, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brie
I do not think that there is a difference in cost of living in rural areas vs villages/towns. The prices are the same... (if no rent involved)
I disagree with this. The prices aren't the same and the mode of living just isn't the same. In a rural village rather than an expat one neighbours are always popping round with their excess. If you can freeze and dry and bottle this excess and buy the cheapest basics YES it is possible to live on a very limited income. We have a freezer and, for example my husband has just made a huge bowl of delicious ice cream each using Lidl's greek yoghourt. and a spoonful or two each of condensed milk. Yesterday we had it with blackberry coulis (our own make) total cost each less than 20p. We have to live VERY frugally. But it doesn't mean we don't live well. You have to adjust your expectations and make a pleasure out of what some think is a chore. But times get very tough when something unexpected comes up. Olive Farmer's comments just about sum it up.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

By the way. If you're interested in growing your own food herbs fruit etc. rent somewhere with it's own huerta and a well!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:51 am
Just Joined

brie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I disagree with this. The prices aren't the same and the mode of living just isn't the same. In a rural village rather than an expat one neighbours are always popping round with their excess. If you can freeze and dry and bottle this excess and buy the cheapest basics YES it is possible to live on a very limited income. We have a freezer and, for example my husband has just made a huge bowl of delicious ice cream each using Lidl's greek yoghourt. and a spoonful or two each of condensed milk. Yesterday we had it with blackberry coulis (our own make) total cost each less than 20p. We have to live VERY frugally. But it doesn't mean we don't live well. You have to adjust your expectations and make a pleasure out of what some think is a chore. But times get very tough when something unexpected comes up. Olive Farmer's comments just about sum it up.
So you mean that in villages/towns you do not have neighbours to make friends with? or you can not have a freezer?
Well, in a rural area (I guess it should refer to less built areas, less people) definitely harder to make friends, since you have much less neighbours...

I said prices were the same - if you go to a supermarket, you pay the same price, the utilities cost the same.
Yes, if you have a garden (even in villages!), you can grow something. But for that you do not need to live in a rural area.

Plus, as someone added previously, for a rural living you have to have a car - that is an additional cost.

Last edited by brie; Aug 28th 2016 at 8:01 am.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In rural areas small local shop prices are usually more expensive. You would have to add travel cost to access cheaper supermarket prices.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point

Well as new comers to inland Andalucia countryside. We have found food prices very cheap at the shops but exceptionally cheap at the markets. We come away from markets each time with three carrier bags full to the top of vegetables and fruit and each time we have never paid more than 8€ for the lot. We also have very generous neighbours who regularly bring us lots of fresh vegetables and we are lucky enough to have lots of fruit trees on our land, figs, pomegranate, oranges, lemons etc. I would agree it's easily doable to live on that pension, although as has been said before best keep a nest egg for a rainy day. Best do a scouting trip first me thinks. Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

brie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Curlygirly
Well as new comers to inland Andalucia countryside. We have found food prices very cheap at the shops but exceptionally cheap at the markets. We come away from markets each time with three carrier bags full to the top of vegetables and fruit and each time we have never paid more than 8€ for the lot. We also have very generous neighbours who regularly bring us lots of fresh vegetables and we are lucky enough to have lots of fruit trees on our land, figs, pomegranate, oranges, lemons etc. I would agree it's easily doable to live on that pension, although as has been said before best keep a nest egg for a rainy day. Best do a scouting trip first me thinks. Good luck.

Where do you live exactly?
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I suppose it all boils down to what you call a rural area We live in a town in what I would describe as a rural area, and yes we could live quite easily on this amount, taxes included. If however our "rural area" was around the "costa del golf" for instance then it would be another matter. Inland andalucia is quite cheap as compared with inland Cataluna and so on. So it all depends where you chose to live , and as has already been posted, how far you have to travel for shops etc. But it is quite possible if you chose wisely.
Pete

Very many rural areas in Spain are self sufficient, you would not need a car, the bus services are very good and regular.

It is only relatively recently that the roads have improved so much, these rural areas have long been able to support themselves, plenty of shops, bakers, bars, health services, fertile land and good supply of fresh water, plenty of wood to burn and sunshine to convert into electricity. Excellent telecommunications and internet.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Well you could survive on that income, but I wouldn't call it living.
It's more expensive over all here now than it used to be, yes fruit and veg is cheep and if you are lucky with your neighbours it can often be free, but meat is expensive along with white goods and all electrical items.
Dental treatment is all private and so is health care unless you are working and paying into the system or you are a pensioner.
Buying and especially selling a property is not only fraught with dangers, it's also a big drain on the bank balance.
Having said that it's a great place to live if the finances allow.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by megmet
Well you could survive on that income, but I wouldn't call it living.
It's more expensive over all here now than it used to be, yes fruit and veg is cheep and if you are lucky with your neighbours it can often be free, but meat is expensive along with white goods and all electrical items.
Dental treatment is all private and so is health care unless you are working and paying into the system or you are a pensioner.
Buying and especially selling a property is not only fraught with dangers, it's also a big drain on the bank balance.
Having said that it's a great place to live if the finances allow.
Just out of interest, what would you say would be a livable income monthly after tax as opposed to a survivable income? I know it varies according to lifestyle but just a rough idea would be interesting.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jogger
Just out of interest, what would you say would be a livable income monthly after tax as opposed to a survivable income? I know it varies according to lifestyle but just a rough idea would be interesting.
It's impossible to say as there are so many variables to be taken into account.
Where you live (coast or inland) and what kind of property you live in makes a huge difference to your outgoings. Then lifestyle comes into play, do you expect to go out to eat on a regular basis, do you smoke/drink, run a car and take holidays?
All of these things are different for each of us, it is just impossible to put a cost on it as even the exchange rate at any one time makes a difference, especially to those of us who are retired and in receipt of a UK state and crown or private pension.
Sorry I can't give you an answer, it's like asking how long is a piece of string.