Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Position of skyscraper ads on the right hand side of page.

Position of skyscraper ads on the right hand side of page.

Old May 23rd 2012, 2:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Position of skyscraper ads on the right hand side of page.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the positioning of the ads. I"ve attached a screenshot of how the ads are supposed to be positioned, but on occasion they are looking like this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=18

In order that I can better inform the tech team so they can pinpoint the issue, can anyone else who is seeing the same issue as lynnxa please post in this thread and tell me what browser you are using, and if possible the url of the ads in question. I'm trying to figure out if its just a few isolated ads or more of a positioning issue depending on browser etc.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails Position of skyscraper ads on the right hand side of page.-screen-shot-2012-05-23-10.43.14-am.png  
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Position of skyscraper ads on the right hand side of page.

This doesn't answer your question but I'm sorry to say that I use a product called "adblock plus" to hide these adverts. I find them REALLY annoying and (sometimes) take ages to load and use a load of CPU to run.
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
This doesn't answer your question but I'm sorry to say that I use a product called "adblock plus" to hide these adverts. I find them REALLY annoying and (sometimes) take ages to load and use a load of CPU to run.
Well sorry to read that. BE only displays banner ads along the top, bottom and side of the site and they aren't big flashy things. We don't display pop-ups/pop unders etc.

Even I view the ads, and it's no big deal. Just as the BBC need a license fee and the commercial TV stations have commercials. It's the nature of the beast. Bandwidth, servers, software etc, etc cost money and this and other sites like it wouldn't exist without ads.

Thanks for responding to the thread though.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

What ads?
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
What ads?
I see your point, in that I don't see any ads!

Regards

jonboy
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I see them top bottom and at the side, but I'm very good at ignoring them all.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen any ads, top or bottom or on the sides. I use Firefox as my browser.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I get them at the top and bottom of the page, not the sides... but they don't bother me..
Old May 24th 2012, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, couldn't use the forums without Adblock Plus.
Old May 24th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

The ads on this forum are much faster loading and less intrusive than on many forums, which is probably why I hardly notice them, lol!

About the problem with the sidebar ads. It could be down to an error in the forum css or javascript, it could be down to the ad showing a version of flash player which doesn't match many people's browsers, it could be down to browser incompatibility with layout (I use FF), it could be a Google mistake, placing the wrong size ad in the sidebar and trying to make it fit, or it could be down to display formats on different computers.
Hope you got it fixed.
Old May 24th 2012, 4:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Jenny22
The ads on this forum are much faster loading and less intrusive than on many forums, which is probably why I hardly notice them, lol!

About the problem with the sidebar ads. It could be down to an error in the forum css or javascript, it could be down to the ad showing a version of flash player which doesn't match many people's browsers, it could be down to browser incompatibility with layout (I use FF), it could be a Google mistake, placing the wrong size ad in the sidebar and trying to make it fit, or it could be down to display formats on different computers.
Hope you got it fixed.
That's exactly it, I"m trying to pinpoint what the error is by narrowing down browser, location etc etc. If no one else is seeing this issue then it's more than likely at the user end and that something at their end is interfering with the layout.

At the moment it just looks like very few are seeing this issue.

Thanks for responding though I really appreciate it

And you are right we try to keep the ads to a minimum, I've been on some forums and you can't hardly see the posts for all the flashing ads
Old May 25th 2012, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just get the ads on the right - Firefox
Old May 26th 2012, 9:15 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not into the techy side of the job, but a couple of times recently I found it impossible to use the BE search facility, as part of it was blocked off by the skyscraper ads on the right.

I shall give those previously mentioned progs a try and see if that does the trick as my net speed is exceptionally slow to start with, without loading up all that other bumph.
Old May 26th 2012, 9:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'm not into the techy side of the job, but a couple of times recently I found it impossible to use the BE search facility, as part of it was blocked off by the skyscraper ads on the right.

I shall give those previously mentioned progs a try and see if that does the trick as my net speed is exceptionally slow to start with, without loading up all that other bumph.
I was beginning to think it was just me seeing them
Old May 26th 2012, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

I looked at this forum on my netbook last night and the skyscraper ads did cross over in both FF and IE. The screen resolution is set to 1024x768, whereas I usually see the forum fine on a widescreen monitor or laptop. So I think it is screen incompatibility. But how you solve that given that there are so many variations, I haven't a clue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.