Poor Liz

Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poor Liz

Desperate times at the Palace.
The Queen has been refused a poverty grant.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.a...ntid=154756396
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:39 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor Liz

Why do the words 'piss' and 'taking' spring to mind?

If you or I complained that we couldn't afford to heat all our houses, we would be told pdq that we should sell a couple.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

"The Queen was reportedly refused an anti-poverty grant to help heat her palaces because Whitehall officials feared it would cause a public relations backlash."

Anyone else get bored of lazy journalism?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:32 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It's good that in the UK this kind of thing is discussed. I wonder if the bills at other heads of states residences are discussed as openly.

Anyone in America know whether the utility bills at The White House or Camp David are being subsidised?

How about France? Are the Élysée Palace, the Fort de Bregançon, the Hôtel de Marigny, the Château de Rambouillet, the Domaine National de Marly and the Domaine de Souzy-la-Briche paid for out of the president's private money or by the state?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
It's good that in the UK this kind of thing is discussed. I wonder if the bills at other heads of states residences are discussed as openly.

Anyone in America know whether the utility bills at The White House or Camp David are being subsidised?

How about France? Are the Élysée Palace, the Fort de Bregançon, the Hôtel de Marigny, the Château de Rambouillet, the Domaine National de Marly and the Domaine de Souzy-la-Briche paid for out of the president's private money or by the state?
The presidents of the US and France are elected for a short time in office and don’t own their palaces. These places belong to the People.

Our Monarchy is unelected, obviously, and has the power of life or death over its people. Having said that, I don’t know whether the Americans or French are any better off,

We nearly had an elected ‘president’ in Blair, he almost had as much power, and how many of our people did he send to their deaths in foreign deserts?

If Liz gets a bit short to pay the bills for that enormous palace, I’m quite prepared to chip in a few bob to help her out.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The presidents of the US and France are elected for a short time in office and don’t own their palaces. These places belong to the People.

Our Monarchy is unelected, obviously, and has the power of life or death over its people
. Having said that, I don’t know whether the Americans or French are any better off,

We nearly had an elected ‘president’ in Blair, he almost had as much power, and how many of our people did he send to their deaths in foreign deserts?

If Liz gets a bit short to pay the bills for that enormous palace, I’m quite prepared to chip in a few bob to help her out.
Eh?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Eh?
It’s a bit complicated Matt, but certain acts of treason don’t need a court of law, I’ve forgotten the exact details, but they can lead straight to the Tower of London. There’s also a Naval law that has never been repealed, which still carries an automatic death sentence. The abolition act doesn’t cover those offences.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:44 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s a bit complicated Matt, but certain acts of treason don’t need a court of law, I’ve forgotten the exact details, but they can lead straight to the Tower of London. There’s also a Naval law that has never been repealed, which still carries an automatic death sentence. The abolition act doesn’t cover those offences.
At risk of creating another firefight (remember I have returned the more tolerant, more patient poster) I think you need to look a bit deeper into tht claim.... there is no death sentence in this country any more, theoretical or otherwise, treason is not the exception.
Its a bit like the myth of the water down the plug hole, widely taught, often spoken of as cannon, but basically bollocks.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the point under discussion is more worthy than a tangent about whether you can still be executed in the UK for certain acts of treason.

Basically, I prefer Liz to Blair, and I would help her with her electric bill. I wouldn’t help Blair pay his, although I don’t suppose he will ever need to ask me.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:09 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
I think the point under discussion is more worthy than a tangent about whether you can still be executed in the UK for certain acts of treason.

Basically, I prefer Liz to Blair, and I would help her with her electric bill. I wouldn’t help Blair pay his, although I don’t suppose he will ever need to ask me.
But you are assuming that the story is true.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:24 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Our Monarchy is unelected, obviously, and has the power of life or death over its people. Having said that, I don’t know whether the Americans or French are any better off,

Agreed, but I think the fact that the British head of state is unelected and owns her own palaces is separate from the question of who should pay the expenses. In fact, that she owns her own palaces is a benefit to the people. Perhaps she should charge the state for their use in matters of state.

Last edited by jimenato; Sep 24th 2010 at 5:19 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

I'm sure if Liz is a bit short for her heating bills, she could always rent the Palace off to some rich Arab for a tidy sum, and move into something slightly more modest, like a two up two down, out in the suburbs.
Come to think of it, that would save her a fortune on the wages bill as well.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In a discussion between Royalists and Republicans, I really don’t know what side I’m on. I consider myself a Liberal, but that doesn’t help. What do we do, replace the Queen with Ken Livingstone? Or Boris? Thank God Blair’s out the way, that would be the ultimate nightmare.

The trouble with people who knock the Monarchy is that they can’t suggest a feasible alternative. Democracy would suggest leaving it to the Sun and Mail readers, who would they vote in?

Whoever Murdoch wanted, would be the answer. Let’s pay the lady’s electric bill and keep the savages at bay for a bit longer. They’ll climb over the walls soon enough.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:08 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
In a discussion between Royalists and Republicans, I really don’t know what side I’m on. I consider myself a Liberal, but that doesn’t help. What do we do, replace the Queen with Ken Livingstone? Or Boris? Thank God Blair’s out the way, that would be the ultimate nightmare.

The trouble with people who knock the Monarchy is that they can’t suggest a feasible alternative. Democracy would suggest leaving it to the Sun and Mail readers, who would they vote in?

Whoever Murdoch wanted, would be the answer. Let’s pay the lady’s electric bill and keep the savages at bay for a bit longer. They’ll climb over the walls soon enough.
Even if blair, god rot him, got in a president, we can at least vote him out.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:55 am
Straw Man.

Would anyone like to explain to me how on earth that could EVER happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.